A Painful Goodbye

A Painful Goodbye

A Poem by Nathaniel Fahey

I tried everything I could. I poured my heart out and told her how she was the stars to my sky, lighting my way through this life. I told her everything I could. Every thought my mind could think of how to tell her the things I want to tell her. I expressed my love the way I knew how. I tried. I gave her my love and all that I could to try to make her stay. She turned and ignored the hearts that were flying around the room and brushed off my words like dust on her jacket. Her silence ripped through any armor I had left-piercing my heart and filling it with holes. What little love I had left soon began to leak out, spilling onto the table in front of me. Onto the tablecloth it all poured: my heart, my love, and my passion- all for you. She only averted her eyes, unwilling to take responsibility for the mess she had created. She turned her head and tried to block out the quiet, subtle sound from my torn open chest. Finally she look at my broken face, utters the words to tear apart the heart and mind: “I don’t think it was ever real”. A soul-mate slaughtering what little I had left, tearing down the last emotional border and pressing down on the wound. Waves of pain, sadness, and despair echo throughout my mostly hollow body; bouncing from bone to bone, ricocheting into my ribs and bursting through my weathered chest. Battered and torn asunder, I feel so hollow and unable to move. Her unloving gaze looks through me, ignoring my presence as if to make my empty shell vanish. Leaning on the cabinet we bought together, she takes out her key and gently places it on the table; ignoring the now stained the white cloth.  I finally bring my face up to meet hers and break my silence: “I thought I was your forever...”

“You were. But you’re not my right now”

© 2016 Nathaniel Fahey


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on April 11, 2016
Last Updated on April 11, 2016
Tags: poetry, prose, writing, love, relationship, poem, break up, sad, lonely, pain

Author

Nathaniel Fahey
Nathaniel Fahey

East Coast , Canada



About
I'm just another lovesick poet with an inferiority complex and alcoholic tendencies. In all seriousness, I'm Nathaniel. I write prose and sometimes a bit of actual poetry. I write mostly about a gi.. more..

Writing