I Will Always... Love You: "A Familiar Face"

I Will Always... Love You: "A Familiar Face"

A Story by JAY
"

Chapter 3

"

“Mama!” A little girl with red ribbon tied on her hair came rushing towards Risa.


          “Ruka, what are you doing here?” Risa said as she hugs the little girl.


          “Wow, look at this cutie! Is she your daughter Risa? Airi said while pinching Ruka’s cheeks.


          “Yup. She’s 4 this year.” Risa replied.


          “No wonder she looks cute, just like her mama.”


          Risa smiled “Thanks Airi.”


“Oh yeah, Ruka, who brought you here?” Risa asked.


          “Aunt Miku.” Ruka replied while pointing her finger to Miku.


          “Okay Ruka, why don’t you and Aunt Miku go and have a seat first? Mama will make something yummy for you, alright?”


          “Okay mama.”


 

          “Here you go, mama’s special omelet rice.” Risa said as she serves it to Ruka and Miku.


          “You look unusually happy today, Risa. Did something happen?” Miku said.


          “Guess what.”


          “What?”


          “I just got praised by Japan’s most famous food critic.” Risa said as she smiles from ear to ear.


          “Wow, good for you Risa. That’s quite an achievement for a rookie.”


          “I know right?”


          “So... about Ken, still no news about him?” Miku asked.


          Risa’s mood suddenly changed. Risa shakes her head as she sighed heavily.


          “You don’t have to worry about that jerk, Risa. It has been 10 years, why bother making a promise if he can’t keep it am I right?” Miku said, trying to comfort Risa.


          “Don’t say that, Miku. It’s not his fault for not keeping our promise. I’m the one who asks him to promise me first, he probably did that for my sake.” Risa knew that it was her fault, but a little part from her heart is still hoping that one day, Ken would come back.


          “Alright then, let’s forget about Ken. How’s things with Keigo?”


          “He’s still the same as always, only cares about his job.” Risa said.


          “So, are you guys still going to get a divorce?”


          “Yup.” Risa answered without hesitation.


          “What about Ruka? Who’s taking custody of her?” Miku ask as she pats Ruka’s head.


          “Custard-dee? What’s that Aunt Miku? Is it delicious?” Ruka ask as she looks at Miku with her mouth covered with grains of rice.


          Miku smiled. “It’s not food Ruka. It’s adult stuff, you won’t     understand.” Miku said while wiping of the grains of rice from Ruka’ mouth.


          “Hey Ruka, let’s say if mama and papa are to live away from each other, who would you like live with?” Risa asks.


          “Hm, maybe with mama, because mama always cooks yummy food for Ruka, but I love papa too, because papa always buy toys for Ruka.”


          Risa giggled upon hearing that. “Aren’t you a cheeky little girl?”


          “Yeah, she’s cheeky, and naughty too. Just like someone I know.” Miku said as she looks at Risa.


          “What? Why are you looking at me?”


          “No, nothing.”


          “So, why did you guys come here?” Risa asks.


          “You see, this little girl here really wanted to see you. When I said no, she started to cry. So, I have no choice but to bring her here.” Miku said as she sighs and pats Ruka on the head.


          “Miku, thanks for looking after Ruka for me. I’m sorry if she’s quite troublesome sometimes, but I promise to pay you when I get my salary, okay?” Risa said.


          “No worries, Risa. You can pay me anytime you want. You’re my best friend after all.”


          “Thanks, Miku. I am greatly indebted to you. But wow, a kindergarten teacher? You really are something else. I mean, one kid is already too much for me, but you can handle a whole zoo of little monkeys.”


          “Hahaha. Is that supposed to be a compliment?” Miku said.


 

          Time starts to pass by while they were having fun with their conversation.


          “Oh my, it’s almost five.” Risa said as she looks at her watch.


          “Was it delicious Ruka?” Miku asks.


          Ruka nods her head. “I’m really full now.” Ruka said as she touches her tummy.


          “Good to hear that. Let’s go home, shall we?” Miku said.


          “Ah sorry but, can you guys go ahead? I still need to help close up the restaurant” Risa said.


          “Alright. Come on Ruka. Say bye-bye to mama.”


          “Bye-bye mama. See you at home later.” Ruka said while waving her hand.


 

         

          “Thanks for your hard work guys. I’ll get going now.” Risa said.


          “Goodbye Risa. See you tomorrow.” Airi said as she packs her things into her bag.


          “Bye Kuroka.” Risa added.


          “Yeah bye.” Kuroka said with a rude tone.


 

          Risa’s house was not far from the restaurant. She rented a small house nearby, just enough for Ruka and her to stay, so that she can just walk instead of using public transport.


          “Being a chef sure is hard work.” She said to herself.


On her way home, Risa passes by a bakery.


“Wow! That cake looks delicious. Ruka would definitely love it.”


Risa goes into the bakery and head to the counter. “Excuse me, how much is that cake?”


“That’s 10,000 yen.” The staff replied.


“What! 10,000 yen! I could buy a whole chicken with that.”


“I’m truly sorry miss. But that cake was baked by Japan’s most famous baker. He came here personally and made that cake. That cake is the last one left.”


“10,000 yen for a cake? I’m sorry Ruka, for now mama can’t buy fancy cakes for you. But once mama get my salary, we’ll go eat all of the cakes you want.” Risa said to herself, in disappointment.


“Then, can I have that cupcake please?”


“Sure.” The cashier takes the cupcake from the tray and puts it in a box. “That’ll be 5,000 yen.” The cashier adds.


As she was about to hand over the money, suddenly, a man came up to her and said, “Excuse me miss, can I have that cupcake please? I’ll trade you for that cake over there.” The man points his index finger towards the expensive cake.


“But sir, that cake is too expensive. How about I choose another one?” Risa said politely even though she was quite shocked that a man suddenly came up to her.


“No, it’s fine miss. I’ll take that cake please.” The man said to the cashier.


The cashier puts the cake in a box and hand it over to the man. “Here you go sir.”


          “So… can I have that cupcake please?” He said to Risa.


          “Um, s-sure.” They both swap their cake. “Thanks sir, for the cake.” Risa added.


          “No worries, as long as you’re happy… Risa.” The man said with a slow voice as he goes out from the bakery.


          Risa was shocked that a stranger knew her name. She goes out from the bakery and ask, “What did you just say sir?”


          “I said this cupcake is more worth it!” The man said with a grin.


          “Ah, maybe I was so tired that I misheard him.” Risa said, scratching her head.


          The cloud was getting darker. Risa doesn’t have an umbrella on her so she rushes herself back home. In that moment, a man walked pass her. She didn’t have the time to catch his face, but Risa saw something quite familiar.


          “That bracelet, it looks like…” As soon as she realizes it, Risa quickly follows him even though water droplets started to pour from the sky.


          “Is that him? Is it really you… Ken?”


         
She followed him to a playground around her house. The man was walking really fast, even so, Risa tries to catch up to him.


          “Ken! Is that you?” Risa yells out loud.


          The man suddenly stops and stood there for a while.


          “Is it really… you, Ken?” Risa said as the drizzling rain starts to turn heavier.


          The man slowly turns around and shows his face.


          Risa was in shock as the man showed his face. She couldn’t believe what she saw.


          The man opens his mouth and said.


 

          “Yo, Risa. Long time no see.”

© 2021 JAY


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on November 20, 2021
Last Updated on November 20, 2021