Part 5: Till Dark Do Us Part

Part 5: Till Dark Do Us Part

A Chapter by Jess Holden

Timothy sat there and listened to everything I had to say, never interrupting me once, not even to ask a question. I told him of how I would always come to the beach with Benny, how I was adopted, the Rowley’s, Lily, the crap shack, even about my mother and father, which I never spoke to anyone about.

 

When I was done talking, we sat in silence for a moment, letting everything soak in before continuing onward with a conversation.

“You got it pretty bad with the Rowley’s huh?” I turned to him and saw him starring off onto the horizon, where the boats of the lake disappeared into oblivion.

 

“I guess so, but who could blame them after losing Lily?” Lily was the closest chance I ever had at a sister, and she just died.

 

“I don’t ever remember the Rowley’s having a kid named Lily. Then again, I never knew you were adopted, nor a Rowley.” Timothy’s words brought comfort to me, making me feel and sound less crazy.

 

“They aren’t who everyone thinks they are,” I started, “they’re horrible people who don’t care about anyone but themselves.” Now I was sounding insane, but who’s to say I wasn’t anyhow? I hugged my knees to my chest and rested my chin on my knee, taking in deep breathes.

 

“I Know they aren’t who they say they are,” he said quietly, looking around the beach before continuing. “I’ve seen what they do to you Emily, I live just next door.” I didn’t move, I just held my breath and waited for him to continue.

 

“And?” I said after he didn’t say anything for a moment, hoping he’d continue and tell me I wasn’t crazy.

 

“That’s why I’m here, I saw you leave and I wanted to talk to you.” Timothy was beginning to creep me out, but I was so comfortable knowing that I wasn’t alone; someone on the outside knew my secret.

Maybe there was hope for once.

 

“So what are you going to do?” I asked, looking towards the horizon, feeling his gaze rest upon me as I continued to breathe deeply.

“Did he do that to you last night?” I felt his hand lift up the corner of my shirt, which I hadn’t notice had risen above the fresh burn mark. It was a perfect circle, just like the dozens before that, which scarred all around the newest one.

 

“Yeah,” I said, releasing my knees and tucking my shirt painfully into my shorts which were still soaked from the fall in the water. I returned to my original position, and waited for him to say something further.

 

“Thanks for the help,” I said, getting up and taking a few steps back, “I guess I’ll see you around.” He never stood up, nor acknowledged the fact that I had said anything. He didn’t follow me home, or even leave the beach as far as I was concerned.

 

Once I was on the drive way, I slowed to a crawl, and tried to air out my shoes again, hoping they would be dry before the Rowley’s got home. I knew I would get punished for this, whether it was my fault or not.

 

I didn’t go inside the main house, I just headed for my crap shack to change. I took off my shirt and placed it out the window closes to my bed, water still dripping down it heavily, and left my shorts drying outside on a tree branch.

 

I was only given 5 changes of clothes, and I had already 3 that needed to be washed, and one that was soaked. It was still a few days away from laundry day, so I would have to wait until then to get fresh clothes.

 

I rested my head on the hard pillow, and snuggled underneath the thin blanket again, hoping to gain some warmth. I closed my eyes and remembered the sand between my toes, the wind blowing softly, the sunlight warming my skin, the water, and how it lapped at my legs as I stood in the water. Then I remembered what Timothy said, that he sees what happens here all the time because he’s the neighbour.

 

“Why didn’t you do anything Timothy?” I said aloud, hoping that the answer would be in the wind or perhaps would answer itself.

 

“I was afraid,” I heard his voice ring out, causing me to sti fully erect in my bed, looking around at all the windows and the door.

 

“Timothy?” I asked, “is that you?”

 

“Yeah,” I heard his sad voice come from behind the door, a shadow being cast through the tiny cracks in the splintered wood. “Can I come in?” I thought about letting him in once I had clean clothes on, but if he had been being a peeping Tom for awhile now, he should already know.

 

“Yeah,” I said, covering myself with the thin blanket, wrapping my arms around my knees once again. The door opened a crack, before he opened it all the way, looking around curiously, and shutting the door behind him. He walked over and I gestured for him to take a seat on the creaky old bed. He sat down, and looked directly at me, his eyes redder than before.

 

“I was afraid to help, I’m sorry I didn’t,” he said, bowing his head in shame. I rubbed his shoulder, which rocked him back and forth, the springs creaking along with his movement.

 

“It’s okay,” I said quietly, “someday I’ll get out of here.”

 

He smiled and looked back at me, withdrawing my hand as he smiled and shook his head. I smiled with him, not completely sure why we were smiling, but it was an enjoyable exercise.

 

“I love your accent,” he said starring deeply into my eyes, causing my face to warm, and me to blush hard. I tried to bring my eyes away from his, but I was so comfortable where I was, that I didn’t bother. When I started to shiver, he asked me if I was alright, to which I had to explain that I was always cold.

 

“I could bring over some blankets tonight for you,” he said, “we have more than enough.” As much as I didn’t like taking from people I barely knew, I knew I wouldn’t get a wink of sleep tonight from the cold, so I kindly accepted.

 

“I’ll be over sometime after you’re in, okay?” I nodded and he gave a goodbye, and left.



© 2011 Jess Holden


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
Added on September 5, 2011
Last Updated on September 5, 2011