The Real Surprise

The Real Surprise

A Story by Katie Foutz Voss
"

For my writing workshop. Assignment: show a character acting upset about one thing, when the frustration is really stemming from something else.

"

            Every weekday Natalie Ross woke up at six o’clock and got ready for work. At seven o’clock she took the bus into the city, just a few blocks from the high school where she worked as a 10th grade teacher English teacher. She worked for six hours, with thirty minutes for lunch, then spent two extra hours grading papers. At at the end of the day she took the bus back home. She arrived at the same time every day. And every day, without fail, her husband Keith would be sitting on the porch reading the paper. Usually she would kiss him hello, they would talk a little bit, then she would go inside and relax for twenty minutes before making dinner.

            This was Natalie’s life, and it had been as such for at least a year. To an outsider it was an ordinary life, as long as no one observed too closely. However, Natalie was no longer satisfied with ‘ordinary.’ This was the last straw.

            Friday afternoon Natalie stepped off the bus onto her street. She dragged her aching feet about 100 yards to her house and then three more yards up the front steps.

            “Hey, babe,” Keith said from behind his paper.

            Natalie stood there, silently, her shoulders moving up and down with the slightest breathlessness.

            “You alright?” Keith asked when she didn’t move in to kiss him. He lowered the paper.

            “Tired,” Natalie replied, and went into the house.

            He set the paper down and followed her inside.

            “Did you take the trash out?” she demanded as she plopped down on the staircase.

            Keith knelt in front of her and took her shoes off. “I did,” he said, ignoring the irritated expression on her face. She hated having people touch her feet.

            “And you emptied the dishwasher?” Her voice was rough with tension.

            “Yes, dear,” he said. “You know, those heels are terrible for your feet. Don’t you have anything else to wear to work?”

            “I need to look at least as tall as some of my students!” she said, standing. “What else did you do today, Keith?”

            “Well, I ran two miles on the treadmill. I mowed the lawn, and then gave the dog a bath. And if you come into the kitchen I’ll show you the real surprise.”

            “A surprise?”

            “Just come with me.” He grabbed her hand and pulled her over to the stove. There a pot was bubbling with some kind of soup, and the oven light was on as well, implying he was baking something.

            “You made dinner?” she gasped.

            “Aren’t you surprised?” he asked with a grin. He kissed her cheek. “I just thought you could use a day off from dinner.”

            “I am surprised,” she said and took the lid off the pot. “I was saving this turkey for when my parents visit on Sunday.” Then she pulled open the oven, her knuckles turning white around the door handle. “And now we’re all out of flour, and we won’t have money for more until next week.”

            Keith’s face fell. “I’m sorry. I just thought you would be happy.”

            “Why would I be happy? I come home and find…. This!” she gestured shaking hands at the soup for emphasis.

            “I did everything you asked me to do, honey. And more!”

            “But you used the turkey and flour. And who knows what else. And the dog didn’t need a bath today!”

            “Well, after I mowed the lawn the dog got into all the cut grass. She needed a bath.”

            With a growl of frustration Natalie slammed the oven closed and threw the lid back on the soup, drawing a wince out of her husband. “That’s great, Keith. Just great! You had a great day, for sure. But you didn’t do the one thing I really wanted you to do.” By then she was on the other side of the kitchen, facing away from him and looking out the window at the mowed lawn.

            “What do you mean?” he asked.

            “You made dinner. You’re so good at that. You used to make dinner for lots of people.”

            Keith put his hands on her shoulders and she immediately shrugged him off. “Natalie, I don’t understand why you’re so mad. What do you want me to do?”

            She sighed and looked at him, her expression hopeless. “Just get a job.”

© 2010 Katie Foutz Voss


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on April 23, 2010
Last Updated on April 23, 2010

Author

Katie Foutz Voss
Katie Foutz Voss

WA



About
1. My name is Katie, Kat, Kate, or Katherine. Never Kathy. 2. You will find me with flowers in my hair and paint on my hands. 3. I love: Jesus, my husband, art, coffee, pajamas, chapstick, the color.. more..

Writing