Just in Time

Just in Time

A Chapter by Jesuspadawan

As Drew said amen he heard a commotion in the waiting room. "I must see the Miller family!" The voice was female and somewhat familiar. The nurse was trying to explain that she was not family and would have to wait.

"You don't understand. This is life and death!" Drew told the Millers he would check it out.

“This is all they need. Some nut causing problems,” he mumbled under his breath. He waved his hand in front of the sensor that opened the doors. When they opened he was shocked to see Sarah Philips standing there. When he first arrived in the town Sarah quickly made an impression on him with her devotion to prayer and passion for the poor. Always smiling, and always encouraging she brightened every room she entered. She owned the only flower shop in town, and was known for her creativity as well as her integrity. This person standing in waiting room was a mess. Sarah was pale, sweating, and still in her pajamas. "Sarah," he said with a tone of disbelief.

"Drew I must speak to the Millers, now," she said trying to push past him before the doors closed. He blocked her way, colliding with her.

"Now’s not a good time," he said confused and shock by how hard she ran into him. "Did they call you," he asked.

"You must help me talk to them," she said still trying to get around him. The doors began to close.

"No," she yelled.

"Sarah, stop it!" Drew grabbed her by the wrist and made her look him in the eyes. Terror and desperation is what he saw. She started begging him.

"Please Drew you have to let me see them. Please, please," she said beginning to cry.

"Why Sarah," he asked, "what is so important that it can't wait?"

"Sam will die if you don't," she said loudly, frustrated with Drew’s interference. It was as if someone sucked the air out of the room. Her voice carried down the hallway to the Millers. Mike's legs almost gave way, and Debbie gasped at the thought.

"Are you insane," he said gripping her arm even harder, "Why would you say something like that?" Two security guards entered the room, and their size left no doubt that they could remove her.

“I saw it happen,” she whispered.

“What,” asked Drew as this conversation kept getting stranger.

"Have they checked for Hantavirus," she asked.

“What is…”

"Tell them it’s Hantavirus!"

"Ma’am you are going to have leave and leave right now," said one of the guards. When she didn't move they grabbed her by the arm and began moving her toward the door.

"Come on guys. That’s not necessary," Drew said not wanting it to end this way.

"Forget about me," she said, "Hantavirus! Drew tell them!" she yelled it over and over until she was too far away to be heard.

Drew was shaken and seemed frozen. His mind was trying to accept that that just happened.  Finally, he turned to go back to the Millers. The triage nurse who had been watching the scene gave a half grin trying to ease the awkwardness of the moment, and pushed the button allowing the doors to open. As he stepped through them he saw a doctor and a nurse approaching the Millers. They turned, and headed down the hallway toward a consultation room. The same feeling of dread he had had earlier came over him. It was like a cold wind.

Debbie looked back and saw Drew coming down the hallway. Raising her hand she reached for him. Hurrying as fast as he could without running Drew caught up to them just as the doctor was entering the room. They all sat down facing one another.

"Mr. and Mrs. Miller I'm Dr. Ferell. I want to be up front with you. Sam’s condition is very serious."

"What is wrong with him," asked Mike.

"We don't know exactly," Ferell replied, "but we know it is some type of infection. We have begun treating him with a broad spectrum antibiotic, but we can't get his fever to break and that is our greatest concern."

"How long before you know what's wrong," asked Debbie.

"Hard to say," the doctor replied, “but I am hoping for definite answers in about an hour.” Drew sat there and watched the doctor talk about infection and the dangers of a prolonged high fever, but all that echoed in his mind was Sarah's words, 'It's Hantavirus! It's Hantavirus!" He didn’t even know what that was.

"Can we see him," asked Mike.

"Until we know what the infection is I think it would be better if we kept contact down to a minimum," answered Ferell.

"We are the minimum," replied Mike sending the clear signal that he was going to see his son.

"Very well, but only 5 minutes and no contact," conceded Ferell.

"Is he awake," asked Debbie.

"No ma’am," said the doctor as he opened the door and everyone stood up to leave. 'Say something,' screamed the voice in Drew's head. He didn't want to repeat the words of someone who appeared out of her mind just a few moments ago, but it felt like the right thing to do.  Another voice spoke to him, ‘You will look like a fool if you mention it. He’s the doctor. He knows what he is doing. Sarah is crazy.’

“What about Hantavirus,” he asked. The words didn’t even feel like they came from him. In his mind he was thinking, ‘What did I say?’

“Hantavirus,” Doctor Ferrell restated, “That’s highly unlikely.” Mike looked at Drew confused, “Isn’t that what the crazy lady was screaming in the waiting room?”

“It was Sarah that was screaming,” he revealed.

“Sarah Phillips,” asked Debbie shocked at hearing the name.

“Yes, and we know Sarah isn’t crazy, or wasn’t until recently. So, what about it Doc,” inquired Drew.

“The chance of your son contracting the Hantavirus is very remote,” said the Doctor. Mike and Debbie began arguing with him. ‘Camping,’ the voice said to Drew. ‘Why would I think of going camping? I need more caffeine,’ he thought. ‘Camping trip,’ said the voice. Drew just went with it.

“Camping trip,” he said then felt stupid.

“What,” responded Ferrell.

“Didn’t you guys just get back from Yellowstone,” asked Drew who was just as confused as everyone else.

“Yeah, but-,” said Mike.

“Did you sleep in a cabin or a tent,” asked the Doctor.

“Uh, a cabin we were going do the tent thing, but it was suppose to rain,” Mike answered.

“I’ll check for Hanta,” he said.

“Wait, why now,” Debbie asked.

“Hantavirus is found in mice droppings, particularly deer mice, and this virus has been discovered in several national parks. You slept in a dusty cabin, and it’s possible that the dust was contaminated,” he said hurrying out the door.

“Wait,” said Debbie, “What if it is this virus? I mean can you…” She paused at the thought of not getting the answer she was hoping for.

“Can you cure him,” finished Mike.

“If we can prevent it from getting to his lungs then, yes,” said the doctor as he left.

The Millers and Drew just stood there trying to comprehend what just took place. The young pastor looked down and thought, ‘What is happening?’

The Millers waited for two agonizing hours before the doctor appeared in the hallway walking their direction. Without realizing it Debbie put her hand over her mouth. Emotionally, she was spent, and one more hit of bad news would be more than she could bear. “Mr. and Mrs. Miller I have some good news. It is hanta, and we have caught in time. Sam is still very sick and it will be several days before he can go home, but he should make a full recovery,” Ferrell said with a smile. Bursting into tears of relief Debbie grabbed the Doctor and hugged him.

“Thank you,” said Mike feeling as though he had run a marathon. Drew didn’t know what to feel. He was happy and confused at the same time. ‘What had just happened,’ he thought, ‘have I just seen a miracle?’ The question bothered Drew. He considered himself of above average intelligence, and very knowledgeable of Scripture. He was naturally skeptical of “miracle stories,” but he the crazy intervention by Sarah made him reevalute everything. 

“Where is your faith,” his wife Dennise would always say. ‘Faith didn’t save her,’ he thought. The doctor told them they could see Sam shortly, and went to his next patient. All three of them hugged and cried. “Thank you God. Thank you God. Thank you God,” Mike kept repeating before asking Drew to pray. Without hesitation Drew began to pray, and as he did anger swelled in those who lurked in the shadows.

“It wasn’t supposed to happen this way,” yelled Alastor, a large raspy voiced demon, “the boy was supposed to die!”

 “The female interfered. The enemy is moving,” replied a much calmer, and much smaller demon, “A prophetess she must be.”

“We must kill her Belial,” growled Alastor.

“We cannot, and this you know,” Belial replied.

“Then what do we do,” he fumed. 

Belial paused.

“We wait,” he said looking at the three believers huddled in prayer. ‘Disgusting habit,’ he thought. “We will wait for a more opportune time,” he finished with a grin.



© 2014 Jesuspadawan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on March 19, 2014
Last Updated on March 19, 2014