The Camcorder Part1

The Camcorder Part1

A Story by John Evans

The Camcorder 
Part 1


"BE CAREFUL!" Jackie screams, as her younger son nathan fumbles with the ancient bottle of rum while grabbing it out of the worn beat down carboard box on the ground. "what's he doin with that anyway?" asks David, Jackie's husband. "I dont know, I dont Even Understand Why we packed it in the first place" jackie replies. "Toby put it in the box with the rest of grandpas toys before we left!" shouts Nathan. "really?! you little f*****g snitch!" Toby hisses. "why are you talking like that in front of your mom and younger brother?!" screams David."Alright everyone calm down!" says Jackie,"Toby there's no use in defending or keeping secret of the fact that you 'smuggled' your dead grandfather's 86 year old rum in front of us" "alright? we know you drink now, we've noticed you buzzed on more than a couple occasions.""and we've talked about that kind of language in front Nathan before too!" David adds. The family had just made it back from a long trip to fortsberg. A small town on the outkirts of pennsylvania, on the boarderline of in the middle of nowhere. Two weeks before David had recieved a letter in the mail stating is biological father had died, and left him a small property that was entirely his to claim. David had grown up under the asumption that he was raised by his biological father, who actually died When he was just 21 years of age. He was also told that his birth mother had died when he was just 1 year old. Furious and offended of the fact that he had been lied to his whole life he was driven with curiousity and raged initiative to find out who infact his "birth father" really was. He already had it set in his mind that he did NOT want to move his family anywhere else after moving and relocating his family twice before. Not this time, property or what so ever, david also did not want to own random property on the outskirts of pennsylvania, in which he had no knowledge of. He figured it'd be best to pack everything up, find something to identify who his REAL father was, sell or keep the valuables, and sell the home. That'd be the end of it right?.. two weeks later David and his family pack up and make a two week trip to Fortsberg. After a two weeks stay and long tedious week and a half of packing, David is somewhat successful in finding out who his biological father was, and back on the road to Cinncinati, Ohio, the new home of david and his family of now six months. A few days later David and his family are unpacking in the garage and his youngest son Nathan finds an aged bottled of rum that his older son has snuck into the rest of his dead biological father's previos belongings that the family had also packed. In knowing this david asks Nathan to bring him the medium sized cardboard box the rum was in to inspect it. "Wait! dad what's that?" asks nathan. "It Looks Like an old Camcorder" David answers. "Does it still work?" Jackie asks", "I dont know, let's see", he says. He flicks the tiny silver dial forward expecting power but the device fails to power itself on. "Dad that thing's Definitely dead". Toby brags. "ya I dont know what I was thinking, God knows when's the last time this thing's been on" He scoffs. "Is there a charger?.. or exta batteries or something?" Jackie asks, "I dont know baby I dont see anything in this box the could be of the sort" says david as he looks through the box. "Just this silver watch, a set of keys? a few books, goggles, a lab coat?", wait, who packed this box?" he asks. "I did" admitts Toby."Why?" David roughly asks. "Because, I dont know, it just seemed like some pretty cool stuff to keep y'know?" Toby insists. "I mean C'mon think about it dad, our grandfather, your biological father was no ordinary gu-" "Ok fine, Whatever" David interrupts. "Look, we'll all look into this tomorrow since im off, I promise, but until then no one go around any of this stuff or do any snooping or so help me God." he snares. "No, seriously guys NO ONE. I MEAN It" he says. He then proceeds to wrap the small silver camcorder in the lab coat. Afterwards he tucks them both snugg next to the neatly stacked books in the beat up rusty cornered cardboard box. He then places the box on the top shelf on the wall next to a bowling ball and a couple of used tires. "This stays here until the rest until tomorrow. I MEAN IT" David says boldly. The family turns around and continues to pack all knowing there was something to be told, and someone to tell it. 

© 2015 John Evans


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on March 12, 2015
Last Updated on March 12, 2015
Tags: camcorder, the camcorder

Author

John Evans
John Evans

OH



About
I write short stories. i started writing them once i realized i could transfer every thought, skit, conversation, and dream onto paper. Im John, enjoy. more..

Writing