Suicidal Escape

Suicidal Escape

A Chapter by Jhansi Ki Rani

*STORY CONTAINS EXTREMEM MENTIONS OF CHILD ABUSE/RAPE READ AT YOUR OWN RISK*

 The melancholy voice droned on as drool dripped from the lips of half the students regretfully imprisoned within the desks of the dreary classroom. Only few students sat scribbling down the every word of the elderly teacher as he spoke in monotone.

 One of these few included the humble girl in the back corner, scratching her pen against the notebook as the professor sped up his pace. Bright brown eyes glowed with desperation as an ache began to form in her hand, of course, she couldn't risk taking a break that just wouldn't do.

 After what seemed like endless hours of boredom, the teacher finally closed down the PowerPoint, pulling the blinds open as sunlight raged in through the stain glass windows, creating a rainbow of colors along the back wall. Students grumbled complaints as they began to pull awake, from the intensity of the light; grateful that the endless lecture was finally over.

 Swiftly, the girl began to shove her notebook within the bag as the loud bell erupted in her ears. A sigh escaped her lips as she stood to her feet once again, moving towards the welcoming exit. "Ms. Khan, may I have a word with you?" the teacher questioned, slowly taking a seat at his desk as the girl turned.

 Long black hair just barely fell across her shoulders as she turned to face the teacher, a surprised expression pasted itself upon her pale face as dark brown eyes glowed with curiosity. Tight-fitting jeans graced her legs as she adjusted the light gray cardigan covering the loosely fit purple shirt underneath. She quickly fixed the purple beanie placed atop her head as she turned to face the teacher, guitar in hand. "Yes, sir?" she questioned, a small amount of fear beginning to brim in her heart.

 "I'd just like to congratulate you, you were only hundred on this exam," he smiled, "You have a talent for English Rubina, I just want to make sure you know that," he smiled softly, kindness glowing behind the deep blue eyes.

 "Thanks sir," the girl smiled, blushing softly, "But I really do prefer the medical field." She shuffled her feet softly, "Honestly, I won't… I won't do anything stupid, don't worry,"

 "It's hard for me," he took a deep breath, "You're brother said the same thing, and I come to school the next day to find a suicide letter written on my blackboard," he sighed, "I'm afraid for you," he whispered.

 Rubina dropped her gaze to her feet as she spoke, "I'm sorry sir, but I really am ok, I promise," she whispered, "May I go to my next class now?" she questioned.

 "Yes… yes of course, but keep in mind, if you ever need anyone to talk to, anyone at all, don't hesitate,"

 Rubina nodded her head in agreement as she turned to leave the barren classroom. It hadn't been over a month since her twin brother had committed suicide. Rubina clenched her fists tightly, his memory clinging to her mind as she trudged through the hallways, preparing to head to band practice. His reasons were clear to her, though to no one else. People thought he had wanted to become a writer, study in literature, but he was pressured by his peers to pursue the medical career.

 That was a lie. That was HER lie. She couldn't possibly tell anyone the truth that would force her out of her own house, and perhaps earn her the wrath of her own parents. In turn, she told them her deepest secrets, throwing them off as her brother. She tightened the grip on her guitar case as she rummaged through the silver locker, picking through things to find her sheets of music.

 Her brother wanted to be the musician, he planned to perform on Broadway, take tours across the world, and so much more, but it was all too much for him. She would have to pursue both their dreams.

 She slammed the door to the locker shut, memories wafting around her mind as she moved towards the band room, making her way in the back; she was always in the back. She took a deep breath as the instructor stood atop the silver, engraved podium, "Today, I'd like to take a few moments of silence, in memory of Aslam Khan," he spoke, a quiver in his voice.

 Rubina only listened, listened to the whispers around her, the whispers of how cute he was, how missed he would be, how we would have been the perfect guitarist. She tightened her grip on her own guitar as she turned away, unable to face the jealousy that was brimming within her. Jealous of his skills? Hell no. Jealous that he escaped.

 "You," a stern voice spoke in her direction, as she looked up to find a long-haired boy with icy blue eyes staring daggers into her own. Metallic chains hung from the side of his pants as skulls painted across his shirt. "Your bro, right?" he questioned, as Rubina only nodded her head, "I got some stuff to deal with depression, only $100 a piece, whaddya say?" he questioned.

 "No thank you," she spoke in a coarse whisper, in her barely audible voice, "I don't do drugs,"

 The boy shrugged his shoulders, "Whatever you say, but when it's too much, you know where to find me," he shrugged.

 She swallowed as the instructor began handing out sheets of music, he didn't speak a word as he roughly shoved the paper in her face. It was almost as if he should have been saying, 'Why wasn't it you, you lucky b*****d? Your brother was much better,' Rubina took a deep breath sucking in the tears that threatened to slip from her cheeks as she reached into the case, pulling out the sleek, red colored guitar.

 The notes rang in her ears as she let them flow from her fingers. Never had she had this feeling before while playing with her guitar, it reminded her of her writing. The words she painted across the paper. She understood, this was the feeling her brother always felt. She didn't need drugs. Her high came from the ink within the pen. The pen that painted the picture across the gridded paper was all she needed to keep her going forward. The drunken feeling felt like a dream when her pen hit paper, the words flowed out of her like they had been imprisoned and caged for centuries. That was how she felt when she wrote. That was how her brother had felt when he played.

 She heard a group of girls reminiscing in the front, her heart growled with rage as their conversation reached her ears.

 "He was one of the hottest too!"

 "Too bad it had to be him, honestly, I wish it was the sister,"

 "That's mean!"

 "She doesn't talk anyway, she's just a wallflower!"

 A wallflower. Just a wallflower. The words tasted like sweet nectar against her tongue as she repeated them in her mind. Perhaps that's all she was after all. Even during the time of her brother's existence speech was not her best. A wallflower chose not to speak, she was far too afraid to speak. Perhaps that was the cost of her traumatizing past, however, her brother managed to look past it. She took a deep breath as she played the notes again, the drunken feeling had left her, along with the final essence of her brother.

 "A Wallflower… Just a lonely little wallflower…"

 She was quickly torn from her thoughts as the door burst open, "Sorry I'm late…oh wait, JUST KIDDING!" a boy roared with laughter as he pounded into the room, carrying a dark brown guitar case. He whistled as he playfully patted the teacher on the back, giving a bug's bunny impression as he spoke, "Eh, What's up Doc?" he chuckled. "Could you be so kind as to point out the guitar section for me?"

 The band instructor eyed him with disdain as he reluctantly pointed in the back near Rubina, "What, only ONE guitar?" the boy scoffed, eyeing the girl confused, "Dang, what's UP with this school? Don't tell me only one chick here knows good music!" he roared with laughter again, causing the class to chuckle with him, much to the displeasure of the teacher as he skipped to back of the room.

 "Why hello there, Ms…"

 "Ruby," Rubina, called Ruby by those who were actually aware of her name whispered, "M-My name is Ruby," she stammered, butterflies began to form in the pit of her stomach, talking itself could strike such a fear within her.

 "WHAT?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" The boy cried, causing more laughter to erupt from the class at Ruby's soft-spoken nature. Her cheeks flushed red in color, but the boy patted her on the back jokingly, causing her to cough slightly as he chuckled, "Nah, I'm just kidding, nice to meet you Ruby! I'm Jake!" he smiled, pulling a stool beside her as he sat down.

 She swallowed, waiting for him to ask to share the music, preparing her answer when she was luckily saved by the band instructor. "That's enough for today," he grumbled. "You can all head home,"

 Thankfully, a gang of girls surrounded the blonde boy Jake, as Ruby prepared to leave. Crystal blue eyes shone in his pupils, as his musical laugh erupted across the band room. A tight fitting shirt showed off his muscular build, as he slipped his hands in the pockets of his dark black jeans, after ruffling his shaggy bangs.

 Her brown eyes drifted away, as she headed towards the exit of the school, the pit of her stomach forming even more butterflies as she found a light blue Camaro waiting for her. Reluctantly, she pulled open the car door as she sat in the back seat, attempting to stay hidden from the man who drove in the front, "You're late." He swallowed.

 "We ran a little late today," Ruby swallowed, trying to speak up as much as possible.

 "You're report card came in today." The voice growled.

 Her heart sank lower and lower, as the color started to drain from her face, "H-How did I do?" she questioned, attempting to hide her fear as much as possible.

 "Two B's." the voice groaned, anger filling his insides, her father sent a piercing glare through the rear window as he spoke, "B's." he repeated, "I taught you better than that,"

 "I'm sorry," the girl swallowed, "The classes are really hard this year, and…"

 "D****t, you kids are getting worse every year." He snapped, "Of all the people in the world, I had to get the stupidest kids!" he growled.

 Ruby's heart raced as the car pulled into the driveway, her heartbeat accelerating as her father slammed the door shut. Of course, it wasn't him she was afraid of. Reluctantly, she moved herself forward. The cold her stung against her eyes as she watched her father fumble to move the keys into the steel lock.

 She took a deep breath as she reluctantly stepped foot into the house, as she heard a screech, "So, the little B***h is home?" Ruby swallowed, dark brown eyes looked up at the woman before her.

 "S-Sorry I'm late," she muttered, attempting to keep her composure. However, even wallflowers scream in pain. She couldn't help but cry out as she felt her mother's hand yank hard at the delicate strings of hair that bound themselves to her scalp. She felt the sickly voice of her mother seep into her ears as she spoke, "You're report came in today,"

 "Daddy told me," she whispered, trying to hide the pain and tears that lingered in her eyes.

 "You're crying?" her mother chuckled, reaching for her thigh as she took a thick piece of skin, twisting it sharply through the thin fabric. Ruby yelped in pain as she tried to push her away. She begged for her mother to stop, attempting to stop the pinching, but to no avail. Her mother only took the flesh between her sharpened fingernails, digging through the fabric of her jeans as she twisted it roughly. If her mother knew anything, it was how to pinch.

 Ruby attempted to jump backwards, but was kicked to the floor as her own other tripped her onto the pavement below. "Is this how I raised you? To get B's? What disgrace is this!" she demanded. A sharp leg crushed the top of Ruby's ribcage with a pounding force as her mother reached down and pulled her to her feet by her cardigan. Tears began to slide off her cheeks as she shook her head apologetically.

 "I'm sorry! I won't ever do it again!" Her mother sent a sharp slap against her cheek bone, as it already began to turn purple. She slammed her frail body against the wall, holding her by the collar as a snarl escaped her lips.

 "That's what you said last time." She hissed. "I'm not letting it slide again," she growled, tossing the girl to the tiled floor like a piece of trash.

 Ruby winced slightly, as her elbow hit the rough pavement, sending a numbing sensation through her limbs. "I'm really sorry," she managed.

 Her mother stood to her feet as she retreated off to the kitchen, leaving her daughter to shake with pain, "And take a shower, you stink." She demanded pointing towards the bathroom.

 The girl scampered off gratefully, gently shutting the door behind her as she took a deep, ragged breath. She gently turned the faucet, letting the hot water run down on her damaged skin. She examined the new bruises that began to circulate on her upper thighs and her stomach. She was grateful her mom had spared her arms today, though her face would be a hard bruise to cover up.

 She let the warm water burn against her skin as it sprayed like fire, turning her light shade of red, which head the trails of tears that cascaded down her cheeks as well. This is what her brother had run from. This was the torture he had escaped. She longed to, she longed to go to him as well.

 The water soaked into her skin, as she gratefully let the roaring sound relieve her of all the worries that grew in the back of her mind. She let the water do its magic and wash away the pain, that is, until she heard a pounding on the door. "HURRY UP!"

 As quick as she got in, the fragile girl quickly scampered out of her warm oasis, slipping on her pajamas as she rushed through the door, her voice in a small whisper, "S-S-Sorry…"

 "You better be," her mother raged, smacking her on the back of her head as she entered the bathroom. Ruby quickly retreated to her own bedroom, laying against the soft bed as she was left alone to her thoughts. Gently, she shut her eyes, allowing the silence to overcome her as she did with the water, returning to her peaceful world. Of course, even this was disturbed as glass shattered across her floor, and a broken window lay in its wake.

 Ruby sat bolt upright as she looked, wide-open at the blonde-haired boy from earlier, "W-W-What's going on?!" she demanded, surprised her parents hadn't come running yet. "Why are you here?!" she demanded.

 The boy looked into her eyes as his grew wider, with even more surprise than Ruby's, "You can see me?!"



© 2012 Jhansi Ki Rani


Author's Note

Jhansi Ki Rani
Tear it to pieces if it's bad, and praise it to pieces if its good, just leave thoughtful review please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting start so far...the child abuse part was a bit shocking though.
I feel really sorry for the brother ... why do they keep quiet about it?
Loved the last part...where Jake asks Ruby if she can see him.
Was totally unexpecting!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jhansi Ki Rani

11 Years Ago

Thank you! It's hard to speak up, sometimes children don't realize until their much older, at which .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
1 Review
Added on October 2, 2012
Last Updated on October 2, 2012


Author

Jhansi Ki Rani
Jhansi Ki Rani

About
Alright well, I'm me! Just your typical average teen writer. One catch, it's all a big secret. I really want to put my motivitaion for writing on here, although it is a sad story. It's kind of a .. more..

Writing