Hero of the Stars - A Dog Lover's Tale

Hero of the Stars - A Dog Lover's Tale

A Story by Joanne
"

Just a way of describing how much I love my dog, how much my aunt loves her dog, and how much everyone else loves their dogs as well.

"

Night was the time when I felt like I was nothing �" something just waiting to die. The stars were nothing more than mere specks, yet their light was bright enough to give me a hint of their pure kindness. Even through the night, they seemed to shine. I had previously thought that I would be like them. I was but a child.


It was all rather depressing, really, as I looked into the night. Inky and dark, it didn’t appeal much to anyone but me.


                It was hard to look at the stars without thinking yourself big. Hard to realize that the stars were millions of times larger than you were. Than anyone, even my role model who I had falsely believed when I was younger that they could take the stars; that the heroes of lost legends were able to stand among them. My gaze swept over the night and the cool sigh of the wind took me with it.


                I traveled with the wind, listening to the stories of long lost worlds; stories of the other people I longed to be with. The Lady was pure and beautiful, dressed in fine white garb and with a tilted tune to her voice. It didn’t take long for the story to reach the end till the Sun realized the Lady was a deceiver. Not quite as pure as once thought, not quite as separate from the corrupt world from which humans dwell.


                A man with Grecian robes and lightning in his eyes was next to being shown. The wind whispered of his endeavors, of his righteous acts and proper ways. My heart was set when it told me of an iron fist with the skies. He would be the one. The one I can imagine beside the stars. Then the night told me of his ways and I cast him aside. He would never fit.


                A tall handsome man appeared. He carried with him a young woman, just as handsome as he. A perfect unity, one without flaw or fight. Nothing that could have been perceived as fake or hated in the eyes of a younger being. But the night held no happiness for them, I soon learned. They never gave; in return the night never gave back.


                A new story emerged. The woman would give to the children. Help the poor and lowly whenever she was needed. But in the story were tainted words. The wind didn’t let them escape for I learned them all. Her house was that of the most grand, her clothes of the most rich. The wind didn’t allow me to forget that.


                Indeed, heroes I did falsely receive. When I gazed at the stars I saw nothing but heroes. Men with valiant horses, women with flowing hair and faces so pure they masked all those around them. Those were my heroes I had previously believed to be there.


                Never, until moments after I had been torn and bloodied, shattered and hurt, lost all hope in a hero, had I found one true. In despair and hate I had curled against a tree with someone who touched my face and pressed himself to the left of my chest. He never said a word, but that was fine. The entirety of the night, he stood guard by my side, nudging me every once and again to stare at me with wise eyes.


The next morning he still stood by me and still hugged and gave me affection. For the rest of his days, he gave me love that was uncontained, so vast it was more than the sea. He was a worthy enough hero to be set among the stars. Even though he was just there to sit and smile most of the time, he gave me something to look forward to every time I got home. A point of light in my life where I knew I would always be embraced without any signs of hesitation or fear. He would put his head beside me and kiss me on the nose when I was down. He always loved me and that gave me something at least.


Even when I became so angry no one else would dare come near; he came to my bed at night and licked my face. And with his soft whimper and large brown eyes he would place his paws against me and say, ‘it’s okay. I love you.’

© 2011 Joanne


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on March 27, 2011
Last Updated on March 27, 2011

Author

Joanne
Joanne

Canada



About
I am sixteen years old and an aspiring writer. I hope to become published someday, probably not in the next sixty years, but hopefully sometime in my life. Read my writing! I command you to! Oh, a.. more..

Writing
Smile. Smile.

A Story by Joanne


Drew Drew

A Story by Joanne