Its Been 20 Years

Its Been 20 Years

A Story by John McGrael
"

a short story i wrote for the "your story" contest in writers digest.... this month's prompt is, "seven people board a small boat for a tours of the islands, but when the boat returns only six people remains onboard" (i didnt really follow the prompt al

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Its Been 20 Years.



            "The prosecution calls Margaret Thomas to the stand."

            "No need to take the oath again, Ms. Thomas."

           

            The scene replayed in her mind, as it had every sleepless night since that fateful day.

           

            "Is it true that you and these five men," the prosecuting attorney pointed to the defendants table, "boarded your boat on September 24th to go on a tour of the Lake Amolad Islands?"

            "Yes, i already told you..." She said apprehensively.

            "No need to use that tone Ms. Thomas, it won't get you anywhere. Just a few simple questions," Margaret rolled her eyes, "and then you can go on home."

            "Ok, whatever." She said, putting emphasis on every syllable.

            "Good. Now is it also true that along with you and these five men, there was a certain..." he glanced at his notes, trying to pronounce the name that came next, "Goferaland Abiglanda." He still failed to pronounce it correctly.

            "Yes, and its go-fer-a-land a-bee-glaan-da." Margaret answered with a subtle note of disdain.

            "Ok, describe the scene on the boat."

            "Again!? I just described it to the other lawyer!" She exclaimed, trying with all her will to avoid having to describe it again, but not to raise suspicions.

            "Just to clear up any details." At this Margaret breathed heavily, trying desperately to remember how she had described it just a moment ago. She hadn't counted on having to do so again.

            She could remember the scene clearly: it had been a very cool morning, the soft September rain had echoed through the boat, and left a haunting, ghost like mist suspended over the lake. She started to speak, but hesitated, hesitating as she changed the story from her memory: "We were on our way back from the islands, when I ducked under the deck for a second to grab something. I heard a peculiar splash, like someone falling overboard, so I returned to the deck. Doing so just in time to see that man," she pointed at the second man from the right at the defendants table," throwing a gun overboard. He did not see me, so I decided to not handle anything myself, but to have the cops meet us at the dock. So I texted my friend, telling her to have the police ready, because if i made a call while on the lake it would look suspicious."

            "Sounds like a reasonable thing to do, in the situation, but did you hear the gun shot?"

            "No."

            "So its possible that the thing you saw being thrown overboard was not a gun? Because a gun would have been easily heard."

            Looking suddenly flustered at the hole in her story, Margaret said, "The gun had a silencer on it."

 

            "We found the gun that Goferaland was killed with Ms. Thomas, it cannot have possibly had a silencer on it."

            "Ok" She could feel her heart rate soaring, her vision blurring.

            "You're lying"

            She let herself go numb as the guards came up to the stand, handcuffed her, and escorted her away. She knew she was now a suspect in the murder trial.

 

            She stared at the bars on the windows, trying to force the scene out of her mind, so she could rest enough to sleep, and maybe enjoy peace for one night.

But the scene continued, days and days of freedom passed in front of here eyes, mocking her with their not quite tangible reality.

 

            "I know what you did." The shady man said from an alley, and then disappeared into the darkness of her mind.

 

            "You killed her! You monster!" The prosecuting attorney screamed while fading into the haunting mist.

 

            "Everyone knows," said the darkness.

            "You did it." whispered the mist.

            "You cannot hide it any longer."

 

            "I DID IT!" Margaret Thomas screamed into the walls of the prison, as she awoke from her half conscious slumber. She cried, and wrapped her fingers around the cold, iron bars.

            "You gotta get over it," her cell mate said, almost habitually, "its been 20 years."

© 2009 John McGrael


Author's Note

John McGrael
ok, tell me what you think
and there is a word limit on the contest, which is why i had to make it so short
otherwise i would have extended it a lot more

prompt is, "seven people board a small boat for a tours of the islands, but when the boat returns only six people remains onboard"
i didnt really follow the prompt all the way through.... (i just started with the idea of it in my head, and let the writing flow..... but i think thats what a prompt is really for anyways)


the deadline is october 10th

please point out any typos you find
any grammatical errors
any anything thats bad



Reviews

HELLO JOHN!
I LOVED IT!!!! YOU COULD WRITE A BOOK OUT OF THIS!! YOUR VERY TALENTED!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is really good. Very eye catching and attention holding. Altogether it's a great write :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow...you have a rare talent...this kept me hooked up...great.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, I really liked this story. I loved how you wrote it using her flashbacks of the interrogation. I didn't find any faults grammatically, or anything that was bad about it. Great write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


FANTASTIC! very well and skillfully written..

Posted 14 Years Ago


i like the story...you did a great job at telling it: with suspense and enough to keep people reading.
My only suggestion is you call her 'Mrs.' so it feels more true to life...and one line confused me
'If I had a nickel for every time I heard those them'
is there a word missing?

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMP
blimey... this is brilliant... absolutely, fantastically brilliant. I loved it, it was tense, moving, powerful, and you had my eyes gripped from the start. There are a couple typos like "but the point is that all the proof I need right here" but I understood what you were saying and I wasn't gonna stop reading for that! brilliant... i want to read more! :(

Posted 14 Years Ago


Dang this is good... it could be a short series of stories!!!!! great job! loved it!

Posted 14 Years Ago


wow,
i was so into this story its almost too funny.

very nice write here, you kept my attention from beginning to end... great details, imagery.
my only complaint is it should have been longer! lol


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


Brilliant writing. I found your choice of subject excellent for reading, and would like to read more of your work in this style.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
6 Reviews
Added on September 23, 2009
Last Updated on October 1, 2009
Tags: its been 20 years, your story, writers digest
Previous Versions

Author

John McGrael
John McGrael

Atlanta, GA



About
im 18 and have no idea what to write for this more..

Writing