When Will This Winter End?

When Will This Winter End?

A Chapter by John Murray
"

Winter, and the ensuing cold often makes for darker writing..

"
A battle-hardened warrior, he sits silently rubbing the tired corners of his haggard face. The bottle is perched on the coffee table nearest �" never staying for long. With the weather as miserable as it is, he finds that a stiff drink often helps. The thought of addiction does loom in the back of his mind, making its occasional appearance to remind the hollowed man that maybe he shouldn’t depend on the alcohol as much. But this suggestion is merely brushed off as he reaches for the vodka again.

They say you’ve really hit bottom if you resort to drinking alone, and not surprisingly, this doesn’t deter him in the slightest. He’ll just sit in this chair and try to ride it out �" waiting for the sun to come out and make things “better.” It’s going to be awhile, he’s certain of it, but maybe he’ll be able to hold out, he reasons.

“When will this winter end?” he asks no one in particular.


© 2010 John Murray


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on January 22, 2010
Last Updated on January 22, 2010


Author

John Murray
John Murray

Upton, KY



About
I am a Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonian, as well as an Fellowcraft in Freemasonry. Music is my main passion in life, with writing right on its coat tails. more..

Writing