Chapter 3 - March 1936 - Whitehall

Chapter 3 - March 1936 - Whitehall

A Chapter by Jonathan Gillespie

  The office of Major Hutchins was situated in one of those non-descript government buildings at the bottom of Trafalgar Square. The office which he controlled was an offshoot of Military Intelligence and though he reported directly to his superior at that ministry - Colonel Broad - he was allowed, a certain amount of autonomy. His role was as a controller for several field operatives.  Operatives who might remain hidden in both friendly and hostile countries for years if need be. What made Hutchins odd was that although he had a secretary, who drafted communiqués on his behalf daily; his office had just seemed to appear one morning, about a year ago. The other odd thing was that no one seemed to have ever seen him, though it was known generally, that he was doing excellent work. Several people said that he reported to the highest level, no one could quite remember who had told them. But then again this was the nature of the work here, the more important the role, the more discreet the person. That was the general assumption.

-----

Colonel Broad knew him very well though, he had tracked him for some time before bringing him onboard. What had first singled Hutchins out to Broad was his persistent doggedness. His background had not been one of public school, but of a scholarship gained. He had distinguished himself in the ranks early in his career, and was awarded a field commission, his final rank being that of Major.

  On leaving the army Hutchins had managed to obtain employment as a junior manager in an import/export business in small offices off the strand. He had persevered with this role for approximately six months when, what he thought was a chance encounter. His habit was to take his lunch in quite a down market tea house near the river.

  The day was bleak and cold, Colonel Broad had probably waited for such a day to approach him. As befitting his rank, Colonel Broad was in an immaculate suit, bowler hat, over-coat and rolled umbrella, his dark hair parted on the side with the appearance that he had just left the barbers shop. He opened the door and went to the table where Hutchins was sitting reading his newspaper, he stood before him causing that awkward moment for Hutchins when you know that out of courtesy you must look up.

  'Is this seat taken?' Hutchins placed his newspaper down, slightly annoyed at being disturbed at his lunch and was just a little bit put out that the man had chose to sit opposite him, when there were other perfectly reasonable places left on some of the other tables.

  'No, please, be my guest.' Though his thoughts were of a less charitable nature, why did some people always want to come and sit next to you even when a place was half empty.

  'Thank you.' Broad seated himself as Hutchins went back to his folded newspaper. Broad interrupted again.

  'I think we might have met in France in 1917. My name is Broad by the way, Colonel Broad. If I recollect you were a Captain in the Yeomanry at the time’ he paused for a second, just long enough to make his point, ‘assigned to Intelligence?' Broad new exactly what he was doing as he held out his hand.  Hutchins although annoyed briefly shook it. It was quite a shock to be recognised after all these years and the man in front of him had his attention.

  'Yes, that's right Colonel,' his mind was still quite active, many men introduced themselves with their old rank, but Broad did not look like one that would do this, one that was still hanging onto to his past, so why, and what was that last statement about, being assigned to intelligence?

  'Colonel...' Just as he was about to speak the waitress arrived with a cup of tea and what looked like a Chelsea bun.

  'Hear you are Mr Hutchins, your usual,’ She turned to Colonel Broad. ‘Would you like something dear?'

  'Just a cup of tea please.' Her look portrayed her annoyance at his filling a seat for just a cup of tea at lunchtime, she filled in her small order book and ripping off the piece of paper and placed it on the table.

  'Pay when you leave dear.'  In the few minutes, until she reappeared with the tea for Colonel Broad, gave Broad the chance to engage in some generalised small talk. She placed the tea in front of Broad. Hutchins had now had time to weigh up the man opposite him, was it a coincidence? His being recognised had unnerved him for a moment. He enjoyed anonymity. The more he thought about it, the more he became convinced that he had never met Colonel Broad before. He had a keen memory and an even keener eye.

  'You didn't want that, did you Colonel?' Broad new that even unprepared Hutchins was aware of the singular anomaly, that he was at in front of him. This was excellent, even better than he had thought.

  'Now why don't you tell me what you are doing here? I know we never met in France.' Broad nodded as he pushed the tea cup to one side.

  'I work for Anglo Imperial holdings... ‘He took a business card from his waistcoat and placed it on the table in front of Hutchins, who glanced at it, then back at Broad.

  'You worked in Late 1917 and through into early 1920 first with aiding our American cousins on secondment with their intelligence corps and then within the Weimar Republic...' He paused sufficiently long to allow Hutchins to take in what he was saying. The less questions at this point the better.

  'You will already have guessed who Anglo Imperial are. Why not pop along to my office tonight let us say 7pm. I've booked dinner for 9pm at the Army and Navy.' he took both payment slips from the table and stood up. He looked slowly around the establishment with that disdainful look, that indicated to Hutchins, I'm your only way out of this world you are in. He looked down at Hutchins.

  'Until seven then Major.' Hutchins was lost for words, but anything might be better than the tedium of his current job for the next twenty years.

  'Seven Colonel.'

---

Hutchins was on time. Anglo Imperial Holdings was a front for Colonel Broad, stationed in some less than savoury offices in Aldgate its purpose was meant to be Import and Export, though no business was ever conducted. The receptionist a lady in her fifties was smoking as Hutchins entered, she took one unimpressed look at him.

  ‘Through there, first door on the left.’ Hutchins turned to enquire, but she had already stubbed out her cigarette and brushed past him her hat and handbag in hand, slamming the door she was gone. Hutchins took her instruction and knocked on the door and went in.

Broad was stood looking out of the window on a grey miserable evening and did not turn as he entered.

  'I prefer to meet here rather than Whitehall, it’s good to keep secrets.’

  ‘And what secret would that be Colonel?’ Broad registered the question ignored it and continued.

  ‘ Please sign the paper on the desk, before we proceed. Hutchins opened the cap of the pen and signed, it was the usual Official Secrets Act document. He would have expected no less.

  ‘After the war you met several Americans we are interested in, also a number of Germans who have since moved into various positions of authority.’ As the opportunity of a small pause presented itself Hutchins spoke.

  ‘Do you mind Colonel,’ he gestured towards the chair in front of the desk Broad turned.

  ‘Of course Major,’ as he sat Broad continued.

  ‘We would like you to go and talk to them.' Broad broke in before Hutchins spoke.

  'You'll retain your rank Major and as a member of my department, you will be paid at the rate of.' he wrote down a figure on a sheet of white paper and handed it to Hutchins.

  'I think that you will find that to be satisfactory, three times your current salary. And I should mention there is no retirement. And don’t worry about finding them or meeting them we have had their routines monitored for some time. Our man will make himself known to you and give you full instructions.

Broad opened a manila folder on the desk and placed a second paper in front of him.

  ‘Please sign here, you’ll notice that it has been backdated one years and places you on the active service list again. We must keep our paperwork in order.’

He did not hesitate and signed it. 'Well Colonel, it appears that you hold all the trumps. My current employer demands one months notice.'

  'Yes, I'm aware of that Broad, I'm afraid he can’t have it. You see His Majesties Government have already waited a year, after we have had dinner tonight, you are being committed to a sanatorium, with a total mental break-down. Your employer will be told in the morning.' Hutchins swallowed

again he had found himself unprepared for the speed that this was moving.

  'Don't be too worried old-boy, it's just to prepare you and set the stage for your travels. After all it’s good to seek out old acquaintances when travelling, especially after an illness, just natural, don't you think.

  'How much of the mission am I to be informed about Colonel?' Broad smiled.

  'In most circumstances, I would say nothing; need to know basis and all that. But in this situation it's the reverse. If you come back, we will hopefully know to the extent the Americans will back Germany in the event of War and if you don't come back, well don't worry too much tell them, everything you know, don't worry about the stiff upper lip. It's better that they know we are on to them.' He stopped and looked at his watch.

  'Now we really must be off, if we want dinner tonight. And you may treat me to a brandy afterwards.' He handed Hutchins fifty pounds in notes and a cheque book for the Westminster Bank.

  'You've officially been working for me at the ministry for a year. You'll find your salary present pop in to the Holborn branch when you get back from the Sanatorium, I’m sure you'll want to use some for a trip to America, for convalescence. The travel agent on Tottenham Court Road will be expecting you.' Hutchins looked startled.

  'Yes we were hoping that you didn't get knocked down by a bus in one of those pea-soupers, it would have really put the cat amongst the pigeons and set our planning back awfully.’ Broad walked to the hat stand by the door, stopping to put on his overcoat and take his bowler and umbrella.

  ‘Now we must be off if we are to be in time for dinner.’



© 2015 Jonathan Gillespie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on September 29, 2015
Last Updated on September 29, 2015