The Beginning

The Beginning

A Chapter by Jordan

He stepped through the door and into the lobby, feeling sluggish. He walked up to the front desk and attempted unsuccessfully to smile at the woman looking up at him from behind the counter, her fingers paused above the keys on a keyboard. The gold plated plaque sitting on her desk read, "Ms. Loveless". He didn't want to come today. He wasn't looking forward to this. At all.
"Appointment with Dr. Thurston again?" Ms. Loveless asked, revealing sparkly white teeth under soft pink lips. He nodded, trying to be polite. She smiled again and pointed behind her to the clump of small offices. "Just that way, as always."
He sighed. Heading towards the same office he'd been unwillingly bringing himself to everyday, he dragged his feet and tried to move as slowly as possible. Man, what an awful feeling.
"Um, excuse me, Mr. Evan?" He turned his head back to the front desk, grateful for anything that would waste time.
"Yes?"
Mrs. Loveless stood grinning and biting her lip. She was silent for a moment, then finally brought herself to speak what she was thinking. "Well," she hesitated," I was just wondering if you'd like to go out to dinner or something sometime?"
He stood still for a moment, not saying anything. He studied her face, which was blushing and bright with hope. He struggled to find the right words to say. "I appreciate the offer, but I must decline. I'm sorry." He turned away and continued towards the office. There was a heavy sigh from behind him, and he heard her slump back into her chair behind the counter.
The awkward situation had given him reason to get to the office quicker and out of the lobby. Reaching for the door handle and pulling the door open, he entered the small comfortable office. Dr. Thurston sat behind his desk, sipping on a seemingly steaming cup of coffee and reading the newspaper. Hearing the door open, he looked up and grinned.
"Robert, good to see you again!" He set down the news paper and took one quick swig of his coffee before taking Mr. Evan's hand and shaking it as if he was an old friend. He had a good handshake, a man's handshake. A handshake that let you know you could trust him.
"Good to see you too, Joe." He smiled back at the old man and sat down in one of the two leather seats that were available to him. He already felt comfortable; he always came to that office reluctantly and feeling depressed, but he always left feeling almost.. Relieved.
"Well, today is the day!" Dr. Thurston said happily, rubbing his hands together in excitement. This made Mr. Evan frown; he didn't feel that that appointment was something to look forward to, that saying something like "today is the day" was not appropriate. But hey. Dr. Thurston was the professional. He replied with a quiet "yep" and glanced down at his olive toned hands which were entwined and resting on his lap.
Dr. Thurston watched him for a moment, perhaps waiting for him to say more. But he didn't say anything, so Dr. Thurston broke the ice.
"So.. Are you finally ready to talk about it?" Mr. Evan nodded, nothing else. The old man smiled, thankful that his patient was finally cooperating, even if it was barely. He pulled open a drawer and searched for a pen, picking one with normal black ink. Tearing off the used sheet of paper from his notepad, he leaned back in his chair and watched Mr. Evan, who was slumped and looking almost sickly. The doctor waited patiently, giving Mr. Evan time to prepare himself for THE talk. The one they had been busy building up his confidence for in the past few weeks.
Dr. Thurston searched through his mind for a question that would be appropriate to begin with. After a few minutes, he murmured, "maybe we should start off in the beginning.. Where and when did you first meet her?"
Mr. Evans sighed heavily. Putting his head in his hands, he tried desperately not to become too emotional. He closed his eyes tightly and the memory suddenly sprouted into his thoughts.
"Well.. We had actually met our Sophomore year. We had one class together, English. I mean.. We never really noticed each other until the end of the year. She kind of thought I was gross..."

I leaned forward and brought my arm around the side of Jordan's desk. When she noticed how close I was, she cringed away, but I barely realized as I unlocked my phone and turned the screen towards her. "Hey Jordan, look at my background of Megan Fox." Glancing down at the phone, she looked at me disapprovingly, almost angrily. I laughed and our friends surrounding us giggled. She turned back to the front of the class and I went back to secretly texting on my phone from under my desk, where Mrs. Pete could never see.

"... She use to tell me she thought I was a pervert after that." He smiled at the thought and restrained himself from laughing at the memory of her disgusted expression. Dr. Thurston nodded, scribbling.
"How romantic."
"Yeah," Mr. Evans grinned, and another memory suddenly occurred to him. "But we used to talk sometimes. There was this one time where we were suppose to be working on our papers.."

From the corner of my eye, I could see her staring at me. Instead of focusing intently on the computer screen in front of her like she had been doing before, she was leaning back in the plastic blue chair and sneaking glimpses at me every now and then.
Weird.
I locked my focus back on my own computer and thought about the many ways I could start off my paper. Man, there were so many ways. But.. Meh. Too much work. I can always work on it later. Sighing, I leaned over my book sack and ripped one of the zippers open, pulling out a tangled cord of ear phones. Plugging them into my phone and putting the ear buds in my ears one at a time, I searched through my selection of songs and chose "Paper Planes". I sat back and stared out the window past the computer screen. Last period of the day and I'd be out of here. Man, what a gorgeous day. The skies emanated with the deepest blue color, and flowers were beginning to sprout from the ground. Patches of dirty snow still littered the ground from winter, and tall dark mountains lingered in the background of a sparkling lake. What a beautiful place for such a... Well, to be frank, for such a horrid town.
"Paper planes, huh?" Jordan said, interrupting my daydream about one day moving back to Whitefish. Bigfork just wasn't right for me.
"Yeah", I smiled slightly, surprised she knew the song.
"Can i listen?"
"Um, sure."
I handed the right ear plug to her and it disappeared behind her dark brown hair. She smiled up at me once she had adjusted the ear plug in a comfortable position in her ear and continued to work on her paper. But she didn't stay working for long. We had exchanged a few words, and then suddenly we were lost in conversation and laughing. After everyone else had finished their paper and returned to their desk, we were still sitting at the computers and talking.
She was great.

Dr. Thurston smiled at the pleasant memory. "How long ago was this?"
Mr. Evans let out a long breath and ran his fingers through his tousled gold hair. "Probably.. Seven years ago?"
This caught the doctor by surprise. He sat quiet for a moment, and then brought himself to speak. "Your memory is impressive, I have to admit. You remember the most minuet details." Mr. Evans laughed and grinned, slouching back in the leather chair.
"Every moment with her was unforgettable."


© 2014 Jordan


Author's Note

Jordan
Please comment :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was really good, it left me wanting more at the end. I could imagine all the scenarios in my head because you described them so well. Good use of descriptive words. I only got confused at one part where he had the flash back to when he was in class, could have transitioned to that part better but over all really good :-)

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
1 Review
Added on January 30, 2014
Last Updated on January 30, 2014
Tags: Love, amazing, story, man, wife, husband, therapist


Author

Jordan
Jordan

Writing
Him Him

A Poem by Jordan


Love Love

A Poem by Jordan