Death Wish

Death Wish

A Chapter by J.J. Matthews
"

The three part finale of The Monastery

"

So there I was, bloody and cold lying helpless in front of the old willow tree. Unconscious and completely oblivious to what was going on in front of me. I woke up after a while and froze. I closed my eyes again to give the illusion that I was still out of it in order to avoid what I saw.

The white light was right in front of me, hovering as if studying me and analysing what could be done with me. I was terrified, sweating and shaking. I drew a sharp breath as if it were to be my last an opened my eyes but saw nothing but the dark of the forest. I had so many questions swirling in my head but I couldn't answer them now as the blood from the zombie's bite poured from my shoulder.

I gathered all the strength I could muster and proceeded on a pathway through the forest until I had reached the familiar Mill Beck road. As I limped toward the end of the pathway I covered my wound with the torn layers of my clothing and went into Tesco to buy bandages. Not to my surprise I had people staring at me either in fear or with great surprise, still with a taste of shock as I dragged myself to the checkout, my right arm stuffed with bandages, painkillers and other various assortments. It wasn't surprising that I looked like a walking medical kit.

I took my apparatus outside and patched myself up to an adequate standard, realizing that my brief time at St John Ambulance Cadets wasn't as wasted as I thought it was. I gathered the remains of my kit and placed them carefully back in the bag.

I could feel the numbing cream take effect, losing feeling in my shoulder but still feeling a lot of burning and stinging. I wanted to go back to the forest and investigate what happened there but I listened to my better judgement and recognised that it would be suicide to attempt any kind of venture in my condition. I obviously expected an outside voice, verbal slaughtering from my dad for being out all night from 6pm to 5am. I told him I was at a sleepover with my friend and he calmed down, but the wound was much more difficult to explain. I remembered that my motorbike was at my friend’s place since his dad repaired it for me so I said that I had took it for a spin despite his dad warning me it wasn't ready, only then, my Dad was satisfied.

Thankfully I was home on a Saturday so I spent most of the morning in bed. I was haunted by a nightmare in which I was being slowly eaten alive by that ghoul while the light I saw was screaming in pain, blood flowing out of it but not from any observed cut or gouge, more as if from thin air. I had a terrible morning, needless to say but it only got that little bit worse when I went to the bathroom.

After a relaxing, warm shower which made me feel more serene than I had in a long time, despite the burning of my shoulder and losing a little more blood, I proceeded to brush my teeth and comb my hair. I looked in disgust in the mirror. The dirt and blood from my face had gone but I still looked like a caveman that had been dragged out of a skip.

After refreshing myself, combing my hair back to its neat and natural jet black and seeing my mighty goatee back on top form I actually felt good about myself again. I looked back up in the mirror and all hairs were on end once again as I fell back and landed on my back on the cold bathroom floor.

The demon that bit my shoulder was in the mirror laughing at me. As I tried to cover my ears I heard it in my head screaming in the most distorted voice, it was more inhuman than anything I had ever heard. It continued to taunt and threaten me. "You'll never be safe, you will be devoured, the Mistress' veil will capture you as well and after you're gone your loved ones will follow". All these phrases repeated over and over in my head accompanied with the unearthly, distorted laughter.


My ears rang and my shoulder burned whilst beginning to bleed again. My stitches ripped open and a combination of blood and flesh fell to the floor, staining the bright, sea blue bathroom tiles. It was too much for me to handle, and I'd had enough. With all my might I let out a scream, demanding that the monster leave my head and raised my fist to the mirror where the demon stood. I struck the dead centre of the mirror causing it to shatter on the floor. My dad rushed into the bathroom and inspected the scene. Broken glass, the mirror on the floor and a still lake of blood and meaty chunks on the floor. I didn't say anything as my assumption proved correct, he thought the mirror fell and shattered on me, causing my wound to rip open. Dad generously offered to clean up the bathroom and repair my wound properly as long as I went to bed to rest. I accepted his deal but knew that I wouldn't stay in bed for too long. I had to go back to the forest and finish what had been set in motion, and my friend had to come with me.


The White Lady wouldn't leave me until I had met her myself, and her demon lackey had to go. He had to die. I knew what was going to lie ahead and it wasn't going to be easy but it was the only way I could get this demon to leave. I had to murder him. But what about the White Lady? How do I kill something that's already dead?


The next morning I heard the rumbling of a motorbike engine. I looked at my alarm clock, wiping the haze away from my eyes. 10:42. I looked out of my window and saw my friend’s dad outside my house on my Harley. I felt a sudden delight fill my head and almost forgot the misery I was facing and was inevitably going to face today. I quickly slipped on my blue motorbike t shirt and ran downstairs and outside. It was a dark and cloudy day but, in my mind, it may aswell have been a bright sunny day. In front of me was my carbon black Harley Davidson motorbike, fully cleaned, polished and repaired. I gave him the promised £120 for the repairs and placed my heavy duty lock on the wheel so I could get myself ready.



After a nice, warm shower and a slice of toast, I gathered my helmet, gloves and jacket and ran out to my bike. I always felt so free on my Harley and would find any excuse to ride it. I took it to college, to the shops, to the park, even just around the corner to the chippy. I would have any reason to ride it. I especially loved going on the motorway with it. Obviously I was careful but I still loved to crank it up every once in awhile. That bike was my happiest place in the world.


I went to Ulverston for the day and spent time with a few friends. On my way home I remembered the Abbey and the mission I set for myself the day before. I didn’t want the day to end. I was on my bike, enjoying the cool day. I didn’t want to end it like this. Maybe if I just stayed away from the Abbey I would be left alone. No, that’s stupid. I had to end the haunting now. I made a quick turn at Barrow Sixth Form and made my way down the road to the Abbey. It was 7:00 pm and I was pulling up outside the restaurant next to the car park. I parked my bike and went in for a cup of tea.


I waited once again for closing time and, soon enough, I found myself alone outside the restaurant. I looked around and scanned the environment. Nothing. I looked toward the Abbey ruins which were still. I decided to head into the forest. It was dark and still. Almost deathly still, like a fresh corpse, silent and completely devoid of any life. As I progressed through the tall trees I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. A shadow form dart quickly behind me. I spun around on the spot and jumped at the shadow figure right in front of me.


It was only a f*****g rabbit. I glared at the little b*****d as it stared back up at me but then knelt down to pet it and send him on his way. I managed to break a small smile. Even in a dead wood such as this, there was still a warm and fuzzy life form running around without a single care in the world. I turned back around to continue my journey into the woods.


Standing in front of me was the ghoul. It stood exactly eye level with me and gave the inhumanly wide grin it had the many times I met it before. I didn’t scream. Even if I tried, my throat was clenched and thus incapable of letting any distinct sound go. Suddenly, the ghoul started twitching uncontrollably. It was twisting and contorting as it fell on the floor in, what seemed to be, great pain. I took a few steps back as it had a seizure on the muddy floor. It’s head did a 180 degree spin and its arms bent in a way that would be impossible for any human. Every single one of its bones was breaking. It was like a horrific nightmare.


After the twisting and snapping had ceased, the ghoul rose up and began levitating. It’s head was bent backwards and dangling like a puppet held on a string. IT raised its arms toward me like a zombie in and old style, classic undead horror movie and began floating toward me. I ran. I didn’t want to attack, I’d made up my mind there and then. I would never return to the Abbey. I still don’t know what the hell I was thinking going there.

I kept running but the ghoul kept gaining on me. Eventually, I finally made it to my bike. Without putting on my helmet and gloves which were safely tucked in the storage compartment in the seat, I started up and immediately rode out. As I kept driving, the ghoul became further and further away. I gave a relieved sigh as I turned to face the road, deciding to put my helmet on as soon as I left the road to the Abbey.


Suddenly, without warning, I was face to face with the ghoul again. It’s pale skinned face and white eyes stared directly into my soul, it’s blood stained mouth was twisted into a sickening, crooked smile. I swerved on my bike and tumbled to the floor, hitting my head really badly on the fence guarding the ruins. As darkness surrounded my eyesight I heard one final message from the ghosts of the Abbey. “You will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee”.


I woke up in a hospital, surrounded by a few friends. I felt a sharp burning pain on my forehead. As I sat up in my bed my friends explained. Apparently, five days ago I was riding my bike down Abbey Road when some jackass swerved and knocked me off, putting me in a coma for a few days. Five days ago. 5th May, the day me and my friend first went to the Abbey. Did I dream all of that? It must’ve been real. It was so real.


Nonetheless, I lay back in my bed and thanked all my friends as they left. My dad then came rushing in and gave me the yelling lecture on my stupid decision to get a bike instead of a car. Usually I would argue but I knew it was coming from a good place and he was just worried. He always knew I was careful and didn’t stay mad at me since the accident wasn’t my fault. He then handed me a set of keys wrapped in a bow. He got me a new bike as a welcome back present. I filled with joy once again, waiting to be discharged so I could see it. Before I could go I had one more visitor. The guy who ran me down. It was one of my friends. He was repetitive of how sorry he was but I forgave him and promised not to sue. Even if he was a stranger, I probably wouldn’t have anyway. He told me he agreed to pay half of my new bike since my old one got wrecked.


I laid back down in my bed, waiting to leave and anticipating the new bike until I looked out of the window. Stood there, staring right at me with pale white eyes and bloody lips was the ghoul. His head was tipped to the left as he was smiling and waving at me. I really hope it was a dream.


© 2015 J.J. Matthews


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
Added on October 4, 2015
Last Updated on October 4, 2015
Tags: Ending, Killing


Author

J.J. Matthews
J.J. Matthews

United Kingdom



About
Welcome to my Writer's Café Page. I am also on a number of other writing websites as shown below; Booskie: https://www.booksie.com/users/Joshua+Matthews-177295 Wattpad: https://www.wattpad.co.. more..

Writing
Wither Wither

A Poem by J.J. Matthews


Yes, Sir Yes, Sir

A Chapter by J.J. Matthews