Lucy

Lucy

A Chapter by Joshua
"

"Our greatest glory is not found in never falling, but in rising each and every time we fall." - Confucius

"

I straightened my tie and brushed off some rain that had gotten past my umbrella to my suit, not that it made much of a difference considering its tattered state after the day's ordeal, facing the makeshift graves of my fallen comrades, their weapons now their tombstones, hidden from sight in the clearing of a forest in unknown lands. Some of us started together as mere children, since then I've watched them face many perilous trials together to finally succeed the path I lead them down. Some have come and gone over the years until this decisive battle, only for it to end just like this. Again.

   “So, they couldn't do it either.” I sighed, my brother beside me. He stood there, all in black, a classic attire and very fitting, considering his vocation. “Would it kill you to say something for once? I just watched all these people die and some of their blood has ruined my suit! Yet not a word of comfort for your dear older brother?” I couldn't even tell if he'd heard me, he just stood there, still as a statue. “Fine, at least you're not like your sister; 'But Lucy, if you hadn't interfered they'd have lived full lives and blah, blah, blah.' As if she's little miss perfect. Last time she made a mistake daddy dearest kicked her out for a few thousand years. And when are you all gonna stop calling me 'Lucy'?! It feels like over a millenia since I last heard my actual name!”

   He just stood there, unphased, unmoving, unchanging, ever present. It's times like this I remember why he was chosen for his job, standing there, his hood casting his head in shadow, pitch black robes covering every inch of his body, save his great white wings and a pale hand gripping his scythe, its lantern glowing with the brilliant light of the millions upon millions of souls to grace this realm and countless others, with their short existence, and among them now were those of my most recent friends. I managed to fight back the tears this time.

   “Well, our greatest glory is not found in never falling.” I said as I turned my back on the graves, likely to never be seen by mortal eyes, their stories never told, the songs of their travels and sacrifice will remain unsung, all because they followed me. “Time to try again.”

   I cast aside the now too large suit. In order to start again I must start from the beginning and in this new form the bloodied suit would only cast suspicion. Mortals seem most impressionable as children, I'll get an early start and I'll want to blend in.

   “Azrael! Get them back safely! I'll be sure to ask them how you treated them and the others when I join them.” I called from the edge of the clearing, my voice a higher pitch than what I'd gotten used to. From over my shoulder I could see the slight inclination oh his hood. I know he'll keep his word...




Gesture...?




Whatever you call what he does.



© 2015 Joshua


Author's Note

Joshua
The introduction to a new character story. Let me know what you think.
Any feedback would be appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

486 Views
Added on December 27, 2015
Last Updated on December 27, 2015
Tags: Fantasy, Angels


Author

Joshua
Joshua

London, Enfield, United Kingdom



About
Hi, I'm Joshua. Kind of new to this whole writing thing but I kinda find it fun and hope people will enjoy my work as much as I enjoy making it. I was always told I had a good imagination, even mak.. more..

Writing
Fallen Fallen

A Book by Joshua