Chapter Three: Brownie In This Room

Chapter Three: Brownie In This Room

A Chapter by JulieNorell
"

Back to Melanie's view...Melanie meets someone...They have a conversation...

"
Chapter Three

"I'm dreaming.....I will wake up and laugh for dreaming about fairies" Melanie told herself. She tried several methods to waking herself up. Including pinching...She was sure she had several more bruises. Melanie always wanted to jump into books...Where fantasy was real. Where mythical creatures lived. She never dreamed that fantasy was reality. It threw everything into a different perspective. She thought of this as more of a nightmare than anything...She will never be able to see her family again...She will always stuck here. She will never see Nanny again. Never get to say goodbye. Nanny was Melanie's adopted mother...Her mother had disappeared not long after she was born. Leaving Melanie in her crib with a small, cloud covered blanket. Nanny had found her. Nanny was a police officer and N.Y.P.D., or she used to be, before she was thrown off of a 3 story building and was paralyzed from the waist down, Nanny had gotten a noise complaint from a neighbor, and was the only one within proximity. She had walked into Melanie's blue and pink room and Melanie had been laying there screaming, and crying from hunger. Melanie loved her. 

It had been three days since she had spoken to Prince Kennan. The doctor came and checked on her periodically. Her chest was almost completely healed. Melanie was amazed but not surprised. Anything was possible. This nightmare would not end...She would not wake up. She supposed she should be grateful, she had wished to fall through the wall. Melanie sat at the window seat in her hospital room...Looked out at the meadow of flowers and playing fairies. They weren't miniature humans with wings...They were all different colors and had sparkles glimmering from their skin. Little reflections bounced off of them and spread through out the meadow. They were beautiful. And horrifying...Some had sharp teeth, others had claws or long snouts. They cast spells at each other. Turned others into bugs or stole food with the snap of a finger. Melanie looked past the four young fairies playing, tackling, and one that looked strangely like a puppy chasing its tail, into the dark foggy forest beyond. The mist swirled in twisting shapes. The darkness held movement. Melanie looked closer...Eyes. Sunlight shone off of a pair of large purple eyes, and teeth. Melanie jerked away from the window, not wanting to know what type of horrible thing the forest contained. She pulled herself up onto the hospital bed. Being small she struggled. She curled up into a ball, and cried...After a few hours of this, when the sun had gone down and, the fairies had returned to the castle, she heard a muffled, high pitched voice.
"Ah, would you knock it off with the racket! Thats all you do lady!" The voice complained, it seemed to come from under the bed...Melanie jumped then, slowly, she leaned over the edge of the bed...
"Hey! Don't look at me! Don't you know that its rude to look at Brownie's unless we give you permission! I could have your eyes for that!" The voice said. Then a small hand reached out and yanked Melanie's hair.
"Ouch!" Melanie shouted pulling her head back. She jumped off the bed,landing on her feet, and turned and looked under the bed. Their was a tiny figure, about knee hight, standing in the shadows.  
"Damn humans! You've got no manors!" The figure said.
"I do to have manors...I dont know what I did wrong... But I apologize...Why don't you come out of there?" Melanie said, wondering what could be so small but have such a big ego. 
"No..." The voice snapped. "Not unless you have any of the milk I saw yesterday..." The voice said sourly. Melanie stood, walked to the tray on the other side of the bed, grabbed the, untouched, plastic glass full of milk, and the crouched. 
"Why should I give you this milk, when you are treating me like you are? Why not just drink it myself?" She said with a bit of attitude. She wasn't in a good mood, and this little man had her snappy. 
"Ugh! You humans! Always so...So....Ugh!" He said his voice having the deep quality that made him sound like an old man.
"I'll make you a deal....You come out of there and I will give you milk and bread every time I get some....And you have to come out to get it every time...No stealing it off of my tray...Im assuming that was you..." She said accusingly. She heard a scuffle as the figure emerged from the dark...He had gray skin, large yellow eyes and a beard that dragged the floor...He was pouting...Bottom lip jutting out from his small, round face.
"Fine!" He said jumping towards the glass...Melanie put her other hand out and held him back....
"You've got to swear....Or I won't give this to you...." Melanie said, distracted by the leathery feel of the creatures skin, where her hand met his bare shoulder. He was wearing a sleeveless shirt and a pair of shorts the reached just past his knobby knees. His beard was stark white, but he had no hair on his head. His nose was long and pointed and he showed his small sharp teeth to Melanie. She wasn't impressed. He reminded her a little to much of her Jack-Russell Terrier who growled constantly, and snarled regularly, but was really just a little softy. All bark, no bite. He cursed.
"Ok! Ok, I swear! Just give me the milk!" He growled. Melanie handed him the milk. He had to use both hands to hold the glass. When he tilted the glass up to his mouth he spilled the milk down the front of his shirt. He drank it frantically. When it was all gone, he dropped the glass on the floor, sighed and wiped his mouth with the hem of his ragged shirt. He looked around...Then looked at Melanie...And held out his hand.
"Sorry about that...Droop is the name....Well go on, I don't bite....All the time." he said chuckling and showing his pearl white pointy teeth to Melanie. Melanie took his tiny hand he grabbed her pointing finger and shook it vigorously.
"Im-" Melanie began but Droop interrupted.
"I know who you are. Your the talk of the castle...Princess Zaria..." He said bowing. Melanie was dumb struck...
"Princess Zaria?!? No my name is Melanie..." Melanie said. She raised and eyebrow.
"Princess Zaria? Who is Zaria?" Melanie thought. Her thoughts were tangled. The name seemed to stir something in her, but she had no idea what that meant, or why she was the "talk of the castle."
"Oh, Uh....I don't think I was supposed to say anything about that...Stupid, stupid, stupid!" He said banging the heal of his hand against his forehead. Melanie grabbed his arms and made him look at her.
"Say anything about what? What? Tell me!" Melanie said to him quickly...Droop looked around...and struggled against her grip. 
"Ok, Ok! I'll tell you!" He said when Melanie started shaking him.
"Prince Kennan, believes, that you are the reincarnation of his late bride, Princess Zaria, bless her." He said, avoiding Melanie's gaze. Then, he snapped his fingers, and with a bundle of sparks, he was gone. Melanie, who had been on her knees by the bed, dropped her arms, and tried to work out her crazed thoughts. 





© 2010 JulieNorell


Author's Note

JulieNorell
Ignore grammar problems, what do you think of the story so far?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I was a little confused on some of the parts. At the end, you said Princes Zaria, and then all of a sudden you said Queen Zaria. Also, where is she anyway? Yes, I know, in the fairy realm, or fey realm, or whatever you want to call it, but what's it like? Is it medieval? Is it modern? I'm thinking it's modern because you said that she crawled back onto the hospital bed, and I'm pretty sure they didn't have hospital beds in medieval time, but it would be helpful if you were more clear. It's really good so far and I think you should continue it (but send me a read request for it, otherwise I may not see the updates right away). =)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I just relized, As Sunraye12 as saying, that droop sounds an awful lot like the little guy from harry potter....OOPS!!! I apologize all you harry potter fans....Droop is going tohave a very different personality than the little guy from harry potter....

Posted 13 Years Ago


I didn't mean to put Queen Zaria! sorry people it is a bit confusing...It is modern...With an old castle but he castle is just somthing that was convenient...It has been reconstructed...This is all in my head and sometimes i forget that most people can't see the pictures and ideas that form in my head and i forget o put them down! LOL!!! LOVE ALL YOU READERS OUT THERE!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I was a little confused on some of the parts. At the end, you said Princes Zaria, and then all of a sudden you said Queen Zaria. Also, where is she anyway? Yes, I know, in the fairy realm, or fey realm, or whatever you want to call it, but what's it like? Is it medieval? Is it modern? I'm thinking it's modern because you said that she crawled back onto the hospital bed, and I'm pretty sure they didn't have hospital beds in medieval time, but it would be helpful if you were more clear. It's really good so far and I think you should continue it (but send me a read request for it, otherwise I may not see the updates right away). =)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

droop sounds an awful lot like the the little guy from harry potter lol bald head long nose gray skin ripped sleeveless shirt...

Posted 13 Years Ago


I thought it was good, may be a little confusing....

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

283 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 3, 2010
Last Updated on November 9, 2010