Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by JulieNorell

        I stumbled through the dark streets, trying to keep my balance after so many drinks. I didn’t usually drink this much but the images kept coming stronger and stronger. I had to wash them away. So many risks you take by being a cop. I hadn’t taken those risks seriously. My family paid the consequences. No, no I can’t think about that! I won’t! I turned my head left and right, trying to see through the haze. Something had caught my eye, something fast and dark. Maybe it’s just a delusion; I tend to get a little paranoid when I’m trashed. I brushed it off and continued my broken steps toward my empty, too big house. The images came again. Flashing bulbs, broken glass, blood, white faces, the blurred images came fast. I want another drink. Something hit me, hard, in the back. I couldn’t stay on my feet. I wound up with my face in a puddle of oily water. I blew a few bubbles and then managed to pull myself onto my knees. I looked around, there didn’t seem to be anyone in sight. I must be imagining things. I struggled to my feet then started my drunken strut home. Again, something hit me, this time from the right. My drunken mind failed to comprehend that I was in pain till about 10 seconds later. I was against the wall of an old abandoned hotel. My shoulders were screaming. I stood slowly. No one was around, even though it was one of the busiest streets in Manhattan, Ks, there was no one in sight.

     “I’m a cop! You don’t wanna mess with a cop!” I slurred loudly. Someone laughed; it was a young, girly, giggle that seemed to echo off the walls and radiate through me. The laugh was charming and pulled me in as if I was on a string. I made a circle, trying to see who was there. Someone brushed my back; I whirled, almost falling again. When my brain caught up with my body I saw her. She was young, maybe 15, with dark, wavy, hair and smoldering eyes. Then suddenly there were three more. They all looked the same, male, dark hair, dark eyes, and pale skin. The click of heals drew my attention. I couldn’t breathe, the moment I laid eyes on her my brain shut off and I became an immobile, drooling zombie with a jaw that sags down to the floor. She was, for lack of a better word, breath taking. She was tall and ageless, though she still had dark hair, it wasn’t black like the others it was a deep brown but when she passed under the street lamp, it had red and blond and black that made a perfect combination of color. Her skin was pale but her eyes had an animal shine to them that should have been frightening but somehow it made her more appealing. Like a cheetah, dangerously beautiful. She was slim but you could see the wiry muscle just below the surface of her skin. I’d been so distracted that I had forgotten to be scared, and I’d also turned my back to the others. Suddenly I was being held tightly in the arms of one of the men that had suddenly appeared. That snapped me out of my trance and the adrenaline cleared my mind. Unfortunately that also made me aware of my fear and a slow tremor began to spread down my spine and radiate over my skin. I kicked at the man, right on his instep, he didn’t react at all, and he only squeezed me tighter. My ribs feel like they might crack, I gasped. The girl was in front of me, doing the appearing act like the others did. I looked her in the eyes, and my fear disappeared, I stopped struggling and exposed my throat, I don’t know why I am doing this. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I was screaming like a small child, but I couldn’t think. I could only watch and listen.

     “What do you want us to do with him boss?” One of the goons said from behind me, I wanted to look at him but I couldn’t move. The girl looked at the voice and I finally heard her voice.

     “Feed, then turn him…There’s something about him that I can’t quite place. He’s special.” Her tinkling-bell voice was even more hypnotizing than her eyes. It pulled me in and made my mouth water. I have no clue what she is talking about but I don’t care as long as I can still hear her voice.

     “Focus! Snap out of it! She’s not good! Don’t listen, don’t look at her!” My mind is screaming at me. This made me realize that I wasn’t breathing and I gasped for air. As soon as I opened my mouth and drew a breath, she snapped her head back in my direction. Her eyes were wide with disbelief.

     How did you do that?” She demanded. This caused my adrenaline-alcohol overdosed mind to jump into overdrive. I was swimming for the meaning of her question and the answer to give her. I couldn’t think straight. She stared at me until I looked at her again.

     Grace?” The younger girl said from over my shoulder. The other two guys had stepped behind the girl they called Grace, flanking her on both sides.  She cocked her head at me and stepped closer. Her eyes were maroon, with black flecks in them. I can feel my eyes widen, and she smiled.

     “How. Did. You. Do that?” she repeated. Putting a space between each word. I couldn’t open my mouth. She slapped me making me wince and cry out. When I turned back to her everyone looked awed. This only succeeded in confusing me more. So many questions were swimming in my mind.

     “Turn him. Now.” Grace said. Pulling my chin towards her, she placed one, small, kiss on my lips. And then my body went numb and my breathing stopped once again…I remember sharp teeth and blood…Then it was black.



© 2011 JulieNorell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting!:) Can't wait to read more

Posted 13 Years Ago


Seems really interesting, and I've gotta say I love the lead vamp's name- Grace!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like it so far, I hope to read more soon!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
3 Reviews
Added on February 14, 2011
Last Updated on February 14, 2011