Lake

Lake

A Story by Juliet Monroe
"

One-shot at the lake

"
Watching the bonfire smolder next to the lake, I found myself lost in my thoughts as everyone else started dropping off to sleep around me. I was exhausted, too, after a night of partying with my friends. I'd flirted with him all day, but as I listened to the soft lapping of the water against the shore I realized I had no idea if he liked me back. I had deluded myself all day into thinking he did, but now that I was being honest with myself, he probably didn't at all. Who would like a plain, skinny, dorky girl like me anyway? I laid back to look at the infinite stars above and tried not to make any noise as tears streamed down my cheeks. I heard the heavy breathing all around me and realized I was the only one awake. I swiped the tears from my eyes with the sleeve of my smoky sweatshirt and quietly sat up to get my purse and go home. I kicked some dirt on the fire and looked around for my purse. Just as I spotted it next to the log, I gasped as someone's arm circled my waist and a hand clamped over my mouth. I shivered as a low voice tickled my ear: "Shh, let's get out of here." When my  pounding heart began to slow, he released me and laced his fingers through mine. I looked over my shoulder to see him. I bit my lip to stop myself from grinning like a monkey. Luke. Maybe he liked me after all. He squeezed my hand and pulled me toward the woods to our left. I followed without hesitation; I was too trusting that way. We wove between the trees together until the moon was no longer visible through the foliage and our sleeping friends were specks in the distance. I thought he'd brought me out here so we could talk without waking them, but he had a different idea. He stopped next to a tall, thick oak tree, and before I could say a word, he released my hand, grasped my waist, shoved me against the tree and pressed his mouth to mine. As I got over my initial shock, I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer. I had no idea what I was doing. I had only met him today. Just fifteen minutes ago I was crying because I was sure he didn't like me. And yet, here I was. After a minute, he pulled away, panting. He blushed and smiled as we locked eyes, and then backed up so I was no longer pinned against the rough tree bark. "Sorry, I've been dying to do that all day..." he laughed nervously. "But I've never actually kissed a girl before so I didn't want to do it in front of everyone, you know what I mean..." I knew he was waiting for me to say something, but I was still happily in shock and couldn't think of a single thing. His smile began to fade as he started to think he'd made a mistake, so I did the first thing I could think of. I grabbed a fistful of his shirt and pulled him back toward me. I felt his hands shaking, from nerves or excitement, I didn't know, as he laced his fingers through my hair. We were reduced to fits of giggles when he got his hand stuck in some knots I'd managed to acquire while swimming, but it didn't matter much since we were alone. I shivered when he ran his hands up my sweatshirt and began to pull it over my head, and he blushed violently red when it didn't come off as easily as he'd planned. Laughing hysterically, I pulled it the rest of the way off and shoved him onto the crunchy leaves, discarding it behind me. The next thing I knew, he was gently stroking my hair, my head cradled in his arm, whispering "Let's go watch the sunrise together..." He pulled me up and I happily grasped his hand as we made our way back to the bonfire, where our friends were still asleep. 

© 2012 Juliet Monroe


Author's Note

Juliet Monroe
Please tell me what you really think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on March 17, 2012
Last Updated on March 17, 2012

Author

Juliet Monroe
Juliet Monroe

About
I am a writer, photographer, and avid reader. I love tea, feathers, skeleton keys, and rain. more..

Writing
Black Black

A Story by Juliet Monroe


plot ideas plot ideas

A Chapter by Juliet Monroe