Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Lizzy
"

The story of a princess and a sorcerer.

"
Life had been perfect for us. I bonded with my Companion right around the same time that The Queendom of Wysteria celebrated its hundred years of peace between the animals and the humans, and the day had gone so well. I ensured that my best friend had a great time, escorting her around the Queendom and entertaining her while the festivities were set up for later that night. Charlie, emerald green eyes wide with happiness, was so excited to be able to witness the celebration of a hundred years that she could hardly concentrate on the day that I had given her. We laughed as we walked through the palace doors, and after a long evening of dancing, we all sat down for dinner. “A toast!” Charlie had called, “To a hundred years of peace, and many more!” There were cheers throughout the table as everyone raised their glasses, toasted, then drank. Charlie had one of her favorites before her, grape juice, and took a sip. She cringed and coughed as if the juice tasted potent, then set it down on the table. She turned to look at me. “Will...” She rasped, before she slipped from her chair, unconscious.

I'll never forget that moment. The way she had looked at me, pleading for help. There was nothing I could do but catch her and stare at her pale complexion in shock. “Charlie...” I had exclaimed urgently, supporting her head with one hand and tapping gently on her cheek with the other. “Wake up. Please, wake up.”

She didn't wake up. I felt so helpless. I was only a sorcerer's apprentice, and had never dealt with this sort of thing before. I was at a complete loss... she had turned to me for help. And there was nothing I could do.

She laid in her bed, eyes closed, deathly pale. Just being in the same room as her made one feel hopeless. I hardly left her side, and sat at the edge of the bed, holding her small cold hand in my warm ones. I closed my eyes and lowered my head, wishing that I were the one laying in that bed instead of her. That I had been the one poisoned, not her. I tried to convince myself that it was because she was the Princess and had a duty to fulfill, but I and I alone knew the real reason. I loved her, and it was tearing me apart to watch her be in such a state for so long.

My Companion, an Ice Wyvern, trotted in and gave me a plate of food with one of her winged hands, though I only pushed it around and ate a few bites here and there. I ate this much because I knew that I had to see Charlie wake up, otherwise I wouldn't have eaten at all. I rested my hand on Khione's snout, feeling the warm scales that were almost soft. She closed her ice blue reptilian eyes and laid her head on my lap, and we waited. And waited. And waited.

“Will...” Charlie's voice called my name. I had fallen asleep, I knew it. And this was just another one of those dreams where she came back. But it was only a dream.

“Will...” She said again. I felt a gentle nudging that seemed like Khione, though it was strange, as I couldn't see her. This dream was not like the ones that I usually have.

“Will?” Charlie asked again.

“Will,” whispered Khione softly, “wake up.”

I sat bolt upright with a start, and found Charlie's hand in the night's darkness. “Charlie?” I snapped my fingers, and all of the candles in the room lit ablaze.

There was Charlie, sitting up. She looked shocked and uncomfortable, and her breathing was shallow. But she was alive, and she was awake. I instantly engulfed her in a tight hug, and she gave a surprised gasp. After her breathing slowed and she realized who I was, she hugged me back, and leaned her head into mine. After a long moment we released each other.

“Will,” she murmured so quietly that I had to lean in to hear her, “It's too dark for me to see. Can you light one of the candles, please?”

My relief was sucked out of me instantly, like warmth in a winter's breeze. “I've lit all of the candles.” I choked out.

Charlie sat there for a long time, it seemed, and all was quiet. She blinked a few times, straining her eyes. “I still can't see.” Her voice began to rise in pitch. “Will, I cannot see. What has happened to me?”

“What's the last thing that you can remember?” I asked her, holding her hand tightly.

“You.” She replied, “Looking at you... we were at the feast. I took a drink, and looked at you, then the world went black. It is still black.”

“You were poisoned.” I began telling her the brief but full truth, “It was a poison that was meant to kill quickly, though none of us knew what it was at the time. We've never seen it before. The nurse worked on you all the time, and so did The Sorcerer. They saved your life, though you've been unconscious this whole time.”

“How long?”

I swallowed, hard. My mouth seemed suddenly dry. “Two months and nineteen days.”

Charlie had no reaction. Slowly, she patted her hands around the bed, then found my arms. She followed my arms to my torso and wrapped her arms around my neck, resting her head on my chest. I heard quiet sniffles before I wrapped my arms around her. Her skin was hot, though she was shivering. “Khione,” I whispered quietly, “please go get The Sorcerer. I think he's going to want to see her.” I closed my eyes and held Charlie tightly as I listened to Khione clack away on her claws. “Charlie,” I murmured gently, “I'd like to check something.” She nodded and leaned away.

I picked up a nearby candle holder with one hand and raised her chin with the other. Holding the firelight close, I looked into her eyes, which were staring at some nothing over my shoulder. Her pupils shrank as the flame came closer, and I saw her tense as she felt the candle go near her face. “Fire.” Charlie murmured simply.

Her irises were silver. “Charlie, you're still with us. You're alive and all of your body seems to be functioning well. We're all lucky for you to be here.”

“But it was not enough.” She said for me, having already figured it out. “I have gone blind.”

“Yes,” I whispered gently as I set down the candle, “you've gone blind.”


© 2018 Lizzy


Author's Note

Lizzy
I wrote this story when I was eleven years old, corrected it dramatically when I was thirteen, and have occasionally revisited it over the years in the hopes to maybe finish the story and improve upon it. It's a beloved favorite of mine because it was among my first novels. I feel as though it deserves to be revisited and I would appreciate constructive criticisms as well as suggestions about how to continue the plot after reading the final part.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on December 4, 2018
Last Updated on December 4, 2018


Author

Lizzy
Lizzy

Charlotte, NC



About
Hello there! I'm Lizzy, and I'm an entrepreneur and business owner. I've had a passion for writing fictitious stories for nine years and am constantly seeking to hone my capabilities. I'm glad to be a.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1, Part 1 Chapter 1, Part 1

A Chapter by Lizzy


Wysteria Wysteria

A Book by Lizzy


Prologue, Part 1 Prologue, Part 1

A Chapter by Lizzy