Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Harder I Work

The Harder I Work

A Story by JustKeith

"The Harder I work, the luckier I get." - Samuel Goldwyn

While the rest of the country is wondering where all the jobs and all the money went as they struggle to feed their families, I am on my 19th consecutive day of work. And although my family is fed for the time being, I know how lucky I’ve been and still am to even be employed at all. Many people are not as fortunate and some will not find this fortune for quite some time.

“There are few ways in which a man can be more innocently employed than in getting money.”Samual Johnson

Somewhere along the way it appears I have shown my worth to those who place value on human deeds, because I will make more money this year than I have in any year previous, but money, just like poverty, does not buy happiness. There’s a lot it doesn’t buy. The things of the greatest value are not tangible products and the people of greatest value are more than merely consumers and laborers. Money can’t solve all the problems I have with living and if it could, what a small burden I would carry.

“When money is seen as a solution for every problem, money itself becomes the problem.”
Richard Needham

There comes a point, after many consecutive days of work, where sleep no longer heals the body, mind, or spirit and I must continue in this cycle damaged. Memories of last week can not be retrieved, the mind spits and sputters and my spirit has been broken for days now. I have work sickness. This is the trade off I have agreed to, if only in implication. Just like every other job, the worker puts in 15 miles and in return he receives 17 inches. I have no love for money, only a desire for what little it provides. I don’t require much. All I ask is to have a place to eat, sleep, and find enjoyment and peace for myself and family. If I can have more I will gladly accept it. If I have to live with less, I’ll accept that too.

“Men, for the sake of getting a living, forget to live.” Margaret Fuller

I try to define my job and not have it define me, because I want to be more than what I am as just a laborer for monetary gain. But right now I am more the role I play as worker than my true self. I have to act the part in a convincing manner for the benefit of both client and employer. More of my day is spent in character than in my own shell as the narrator you all know and love. But I still know who I am. And I’m not trading my soul just yet either, not for money.

“Work is the curse of the drinking classes.” Oscar Wilde

It seems the more consecutive hours, days, and weeks I work, the more consecutive cans of beer I drink. This doesn’t help with my lack of short term memory, but it helps in other invisible, inward ways. Every night as the moon is howling bright and as fatigue turns to exhaustion, I tell myself that I will write. And that the words that dance about in my head will find purpose, but just like the night before, they turn to cotton as my head becomes increasingly lightened and I am overcome by heavy eyelids. I can always manage to make a mess of the night. But there will be more work to do tomorrow, and more nights with howling moons to make messes of.

And the words will come back too, and once again sleep will heal what it can, and leave me with the rest.

© 2009 JustKeith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was an interesting and entertaining piece of writing. One of those things money can't buy is time. True, the factories and offices and other venues of "honest employment" claim they pay you for your time and your energy but think about that a moment. What they are really buying is your life. It is legalized slavery and nothing more. Time is life, life is time. They would have you believe that "time is money" but can money buy more time when we grow old? It may buy medicine or pay doctors to care for us but even that does not guarantee we will live one minute longer than our appointed season. When we work harder we are too tired to enjoy or reap the rewards of our labors. I've shoveled wheelbarrows full of dirt and worked in a sawmill for a living. But it wasn't a "living" to speak of; trying to stay fed, clothed and sheltered on minimum wage, coming home to collapse with aching muscles and a worried mind. It seems by the time I recovered a little from the pain and exhaustion, it was time to do it all again. Anytime we work for someone else we are just cannon fodder for big business. But if you can find a crack in the system to slip through and work for yourself, that is always more rewarding. You make more money and can schedule your own hours. Freelancing is all about that. A great read my friend.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 16, 2009

Author

JustKeith
JustKeith

TN



About
Father, husband, writer, worker, punker, drinker, lowlife, lowbrow, man of society, culture, and bullshit. more..

Writing
Ritual Ritual

A Poem by JustKeith


As Usual As Usual

A Story by JustKeith


Jesus Fish Jesus Fish

A Poem by JustKeith