Escaping Into Fantasy

Escaping Into Fantasy

A Story by JustKeith
"

For Alex

"

Dinner had been eaten, and the chores and homework had been completed and now Mary’s mother sat on the edge of the bed. It was story time. For the few short minutes before Mary was to find a peaceful slumber, her mother would read her a story. This had become routine. There was no story book, only the imagination of the mind and soul. This is where belief was made and Mary’s mother would recite fantastic tales of a prince and princess, struggle and redemption, search and rescue. Each night brought the promise of a new tale that was to allow both mother and daughter to journey into far off lands and find the happiness they both so desperately sought. Living vicariously through a fictitious princess brought hope and relief to them both. They were living lives contradictory to that of anything Mary’s mother could conjure up in the form of fairy tales.

There was no prince in the lives of this woman and child. The only man they ever had in their lives had long since departed on a journey of his own, leaving the two princesses to plead rescue from the dungeon they were banished to. All they had was each other and their hopes. And dreams were made manifest through fantasy.

In every story, a handsome prince would battle dragons, knights, evil kings, and all manner of atrocious opposition to secure the well being of his beautiful princess he so desired.

“…..and the handsome prince struck the enormous beast with his mighty sword……”

Mary would cling to every syllable spoken, pulling the covers up to her chin in reaction to elements of suspense. “Does the prince see the castle up ahead?” Mary would ask. “He does.” said Mary’s mother smiling slyly.

“Just over the horizon, a castle could be seen. The prince continued his journey with eagerness…”

“Oh, I hope he finds the princess in time!” Mary would exclaim.

“……and the guards approached with swords drawn….”

Mary and her mother would craft these fantastic tales together, each feeding off the other, until a dramatic conclusion was reached. Together they would create a world where chivalry still existed, where their characters, both good and evil, got what they deserved. This is a world they knew they would never live in, but they could dream and dreams are free. Beauty was created to replace the ugliness of their respective realities.

“My love, you have come for me!” said the princess.

“And the prince held her in a tight embrace……”

“Does he kiss her, mommy?” Mary asked.

“….and the prince kissed his beautiful princess.....”

After all the battles had been fought and won and the journey had ended happily with the promise of a new tomorrow, it was time for sleep. Little Mary lay snug in her bed between tight, white sheets. A part of her was still in the story she had just heard and help craft. Mary’s heart smiled.

“That was a great story.” Mary said to her mother.

“I’m so very glad you enjoyed it, baby.” Mary’s mother replied.

Mary reached up with both arms to receive her mother’s affection. Morning would bring back reality soon, but for now rest would relieve and heal and comfort.

“Sweet dreams, darling.”

© 2009 JustKeith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a very touching write Keith. The only shame is that the children have to find out the truth at the cost of their innocence...though I know that some of us will always help them toward greater dreams and imaginings. I often 'co-write' with my daughter- though some of the tales get a bit heavy, (our last one included a toy shop that the government wanted to take over to create better weapons... and starting a war with the poor people who loved it! I cringed at how much my 6 year old has picked up from my anarchic rants! Fair warning for me to be a bit more reserved around her methinks!)
This has been on my reading list for ages...sorry I've not been about much since before christmas- life's been a bit hectic. I'll catch up with more of your work soon, take care, spence

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 18, 2009

Author

JustKeith
JustKeith

TN



About
Father, husband, writer, worker, punker, drinker, lowlife, lowbrow, man of society, culture, and bullshit. more..

Writing
Ritual Ritual

A Poem by JustKeith


As Usual As Usual

A Story by JustKeith


Jesus Fish Jesus Fish

A Poem by JustKeith