Chapter 3 School of Monsters

Chapter 3 School of Monsters

A Chapter by Lyndie Bolt aka JustRacey
"

Lynn feels overwhelmed by the prospect of taking over her new job

"

Chapter 3 Greenhouses

I pulled my sleek little ride up to the front of the two huge greenhouses behind the school.  Looking at these two wormy inching beasts, I felt trepidation seize my bones.  How am I going to teach a classroom and run these two monsters.  The little glass greenhouse was plenty for classroom work!

 

Tim shut the ignition off and climbed out of his glossy big rumbling pickup.  The diesel died a quick and painless depth.  Slamming the door, he crunched his way around the truck to ponder my little car.  “You know, you may want to get a truck rather than that ride.”  He said to me.  “You need a truck for this job…  What are you going to use to haul dirt and fertilizer?”  He added while deliberately peering at the diminutive trunk of my chosen medium for transportation and self-expression.

“I’ll just have to get one of the kids or parents to do it.” I retorted.

Tim looked dubious.  “That will work most of the time, I guess.  But there are going to be times you wished you had a truck, rather than that little rocket.”  He added, “you’ll see!”

“Where is the guy we’re supposed to meet?”  I asked while scoping out the gravel parking lot bordered on one side by the rear of the school and at right angles the front of the greenhouses.  All I could see were a couple of trucks that appeared vacant.  Tim had promised to introduce me to a former student of his; a guy that was supposed to help me get my feet wet running these greenhouses.  Tim had explained earlier that greenhouses were not there only to use in teaching, but for a vast majority of the local population were a source for their annual bedding plants in landscaping and gardening. 

“Does everybody at this school drive a truck?”  I asked Tim.

“Mostly.”  Tim and I turned at the sound of the schools rear door opening. “There’s Mike now.”

A tall lean man with the body of a long distance runner strolled out of the school heading right for us.  “Lynn, I’d like you to meet Mike Rennis.”

I stuck my hand out to shake.  “Hi, I’m Lynn Juracetys.”  Oh, for crying out loud! Not this guy too!  He bent his handsome face over my hand turning it over to kiss just above my MSU class ring.

“Please to meet you.”  He answered after taking a very decided sniff of my hand.  “You smell delightful,” His blue eyes sparkled with amusement as I snatched my hand from his grasp.  “Tim has told me a little about you.  How are you liking Capac so far?  Finding our quaint little village, ahh…a little disconcerting?”  A little smile teased his well sculpted but full lips.

I rolled my eyes and gave a small laugh.  “Well this hand kissing and hugging last night and again this morning, is a bit different.”  I shot at him, “You’re not going to do that every time we meet, are you?”

“No, probably not.  But if you always smell so good, I may just have to!”  A big grin broke over his face reaching all the way to his eyes.

“Ok, can we get on with this!”  Tim added impatiently.  “I’ve got to get home yet today and help my wife with the rest of our packing.” His full rounded face colored with mild irritation.

“Sure.” I said and began to march to the closed doors of the school.  “Are you guys coming?” I shot back over my shoulder to the two men now seemed to be in a silent conversation in the middle of the parking area.

“Yep, be right there.” Mike replied.

I stomped my way into what would officially become my classroom in a week’s time.  This room decorated on nearly every square inch of wall space with FFA posters, plaques, awards and trophy’s won by individuals and teams from the chapter members was a little intimidating.   I sank to one of the many chairs arranged around the outside of the tables laid out in the traditional U- shape of an Ag classroom.  This past twenty-four hours has definitely taken the edge off of the initial excitement of winning this plum job.  I felt as if I’ve been hit with a tsunami that just doesn’t stop coming.  What else is there going to be?  Is there more I will have to deal with?  How in hell am I going to be able to fill Tim’s gigantic shoes?  Oh hell, why didn’t I take one of the other job offers I’d had!  I’d interviewed for six jobs and had five offers.  I think I must have been insane to take this one.  Port Hope, with it’s less expectations, smaller program and it’s diminutive Napoleonic looking, albeit a bit sexist, Principal would be a better choice than this!

 That interview in Port Hope still floors me.  My petite pale blonde friend Anita, was just coming out of the principal’s office when I had arrived for my interview in this very tiny Michigan village.  “Hey, I didn’t know you were interviewing here!”  I exclaimed as I embraced her slender frame.

“Yeah, I decided that I’d do Capac, this one and Stevensville.  You’re interviewing for this one too?”  She asked as concern marked her normally upbeat voice.

‘Yeah, I’m doing a total of six of the fifteen teaching ones open.  Are you doing any of the non-teaching ones?”  I queried.  Michigan State University’s College of Agriculture and Natural Resources department each spring has weekly updates for teaching and non-teaching positions.  Schools and businesses contact the college to notify new grads and alumni of job availability.   Many out-of-state schools, business and even Universities also use this service as MSU Ag Ed grads are considered some of the best in the country.

“Yeah, two. The Farm Bureau one and Michigan Bean.  You?” She asked with trepidation maiming her delicate but pert features.

“Nah.  Just the teaching ones.  Six of ‘em.  Got interviews for all six.  This week has been insane!”  I felt my stomach rumble telling me that lunch time was fast approaching.  “Hey, what are you doing later?  Anything?  Maybe we could grab lunch together when I’m done here?”

“Sure.  I’ve got time.”  She answered. “I’ll just wait here until you’re done” She gestured to the waiting area of the small cramped high school office.

“Great!  It’s been awhile, and I want to know why you’re leaving Reed City?” I replied

 A small dark haired, neatly dressed man poked his head out of the room labeled ‘Principal.’  “Miss Juracetys?  I’m ready for you now”

“Hey I see you in half an hour, Ok Anita?”

She replied, “Yep, I’ll be here waiting.”

Wow, did I feel like a bit of a smuck an hour and a half later when I found Anita still waiting for me in that hard office chair!  Feeling drained, I grabbed her hand as she rose and dragged her out of the office door. “Let’s get the hell out of here, before he drags me back in there!”  I hissed.

“What in the hell happened in there?” Concern colored her voice.  “You were in there forever!”

“God, I can not believe that guy!  He questioned me for what seemed like an eternity, and then dragged me around the school, and took me to meet the superintendent.” I exclaimed as I shoved out the doors of the old brick high school.

She asked, “He took you to meet the Super?” as incredulity marred her face.

I saw her eyes begin to scrunch up and a hint of tears fill her eyes. “Yes, but you will not believe what that short little man asked me on the way back from the Ag room!”  I realized I needed to get her mind off the Superintendent issue, and no way was I now going to tell her that they had just offered me this job.

“What?”  She asked

“That pip squeak asked me, how I would handle those big football players if they got out of line!”  I barked as I pulled the door to my car open.  “You want to take my car, or have me follow you?”

“Heck, I’ll ride with you!  Gotta check out this new ride of yours.”  She answered as she pulled open and slid in the passenger door.  “Quite a step up from the Ford!  I like it.”   All trace of distress erased from her eyes as she reached to turn on the radio as I started the car.  “So what did you tell him when he asked that?”

I giggled. “I started to laugh at him, and nearly choked trying to stop.  My god, I was standing next to that runt when he said that!”

“Yeah, he is short!  I’m only five four and am taller than he is. Is he insane?”  She asked.

“Must be.  I am five nine and I think with shoes on he’d be lucky to hit five two!”

“So what did you say?”

“I just peered down at him and asked him how he handled the big two-hundred pound jocks.”  As I drove off in search of food, we both began to really crack up with the image of this very miniscule man wrestling with a titan fullback.

 



© 2009 Lyndie Bolt aka JustRacey


Author's Note

Lyndie Bolt aka JustRacey
Is the imagery adequate? What do you think of the 'hand kissing' issue? Is the protagonists feeling coming across well enough? Please point out any problems, no ego stroking needed!. Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I thought for sure I had reviewed this but perhaps not. And knowing how the cafe occassionally glitches, maybe I did and it didn't post. At anyrate - nothing wrong with the hand kissing. I really liked the strong start of this chapter, we know exactly her mood and where she stands, quickly. Again, the dialogue is right there and your story weaving ability is commendable.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JRB
all works for me, nice write

Posted 15 Years Ago


I thought for sure I had reviewed this but perhaps not. And knowing how the cafe occassionally glitches, maybe I did and it didn't post. At anyrate - nothing wrong with the hand kissing. I really liked the strong start of this chapter, we know exactly her mood and where she stands, quickly. Again, the dialogue is right there and your story weaving ability is commendable.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ello, Lyndie. This week's has been crazy, but I thought I'd stop by give ya a read.

Ok, I've read over this twice, and I really seriously cannot find any mistakes that have not already been pointed out. The imagery is accurate in mind, although, I did have to read over this a time or two to get the picture: "the gravel parking lot bordered on one side by the rear of the school and at right angles the front of the greenhouses." I don't know, perhaps you missed a word somewhere, then again I just might be slow.

I know you don't want your ego stroked, but seeing as there's nothing more to pick on, I believe that's the only choice I have left. So, that being said, a great third chapter. Lynn's coming around smoothly, I see conflict arising with her having second thoughts about her new job, doubt in her own abilities, and intimidation of carrying on after Tim. I find Mike to be a bit creepy. I don't know if that was your intended first impression or not, but that's what I picked up.

So, again, good job. Also, how do you pronounce Lynn's last name?


Posted 15 Years Ago


" I asked while scoping out the gravel parking lot bordered on one side by the rear of the school"--there something missing here. It seems like those are two sentences meshed together to me.

I don't think I've noticed any serious grammatical or stylistical mistakes here. I do find the constant flashbacks a bit tiring though. I understand that they're neccessary to have us learn more about Lynn, but at the same time I think the action should be already starting. I think you could have easily written that one after Lynn had her first lesson.

Oh, about the hand-kissing: people who kiss your hand when you stretch it out for hand-shake are actually being rude. It's the woman, who indicated if she wants to be kissed or not. Interesting bit of knowledge, isn't it?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i have no problem with the hand kissing issue and i do think that Lynn's feelings are coming across well. i think this is really good i look forward to reading the rest.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

One grammatical issue: "The diesel died a quick and painless depth. " - I believe you mean "death"?

I love the hand-kissing thing! Does that really happen in Michigan? LOL

This story is coming along nicely. I am getting more & more attached to Lynn with each chapter.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

323 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2009
Last Updated on February 6, 2009


Author

Lyndie Bolt aka JustRacey
Lyndie Bolt aka JustRacey

Brunswick, GA



About
Published writer for text book company Holt, Rheinhart and Winston. Former award winning teacher, horse trainer and vet med student. View my page on Independent Writer's Network If you want me t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Terror Terror

A Story by Rain


The Farmer The Farmer

A Chapter by Emily B