Wolframite: Chapter 1 and Prologue

Wolframite: Chapter 1 and Prologue

A Chapter by KB McFarland
"

Have you ever had an unreal experience? Something unexplained? This follows a high school girl who slowly realizes the truth behind the masks.

"

Prologue

I was told to introduce the story so here is your introduction. This is no Fairytale about princesses and handsome princes. This is a story about how everything went from a normal day, to a living nightmare. Well, that might be over exaggerating things but it's mostly true. Just me and my good (and few) friends. Have you ever heard the saying, no two people are alike. Well, it's true for one thing. But everyone is special in their own way, and I'm not talking about the good special where you win the Nobel peace prize and everyone loves you just because they should. I'm talking about, how should I word this? Oh…

Deformities, yeah that kind of special. Now I know what you're thinking. Bumps and spikes sticking out of people's head and back. Well, there's more than one form of deformities. Don't worry, you will catch on soon enough. But why don't we start the story. You see the worst can happen at no other than one place. High school. That is where our story begins. With me. I'm going to let the narrator take over because I've done my part. Later, enjoy the story.































Chapter 1.

"Uph!" Every little kid on the bus said in unison as they passed over the speed bump marking the entrance. All 4 teachers turned around at once as if someone told them to. They started asking kids at the front if they were 'ok' and after about 8 kids they were satisfied that no one was hurt and they turned back to the front. One child however made no noise as she stared out the window of the bus. All of the tree's seemed mesmerizing as they passed, meshed together and packed so tightly. A sign suddenly came into view and she tried to read it but as a 5 year old she couldn’t tell if she was reading the letter M or N. Oh well, she thought as it left her vision. The bus came to a screeching halt and she heard the teacher say something about "Oiling the wheels". Whatever that meant, she didn’t care as she pushed her way out the bus. 5 year old's didn’t really like to take their time. "This way kids, this way!" Yelled the closest teacher, Mrs. Magarfin. None of the kids really like her because of her mean voice. She was a plump old lady with a crooked nose and she had some weird obsession with polka-dot dresses and pink sweaters. Her pink, cat eye, glasses made her look even older than her wrinkles did. Shivers went down the little girl's spine just thinking about it. For the first time she took a look around. The mineral mine was covered in grey pebbles and huge piles of rocks. The machinery stumbled around the deep trenches in the ground and trucks carried the rocks and precious items from the earth. There was a small wooden cabin in the left hand corner of the open space. They made their way to the cabin, and as they came closer they saw a man standing on the porch, with his hands behind his back and waiting patiently. He was wearing a neon orange vest, a red and blue checkered shirt, jeans, and a black leather belt.

"Welcome! To the North Georgia Minerals and Mines company. This is where all of the minerals we find are brought up from. Brought up from the ground I mean. You have come to learn all about the process of mining! Let's begin the tour by walking over to the…” He continued as he walked over to a big yellow machine.

None of the kids were paying attention, they were all too busy staring at the big trucks and cranes. Their eyes were wide with wonder and curiosity. The little girl from the bus started to walk over to the huge hole in the ground. She came dangerously close to the edge of the hole with a 40 foot radius. There seemed to be no bottom, it just went on and on forever. Black as night too. The little girl just stared down the hole and looked for the slightest shimmer of minerals.

“Kaleigh! Come back here right now!” The teacher yelled when she finally realized how far her student had wandered from the class. But she didn't hear her. She was too busy staring down and the tools around her were making too much noise for her to hear anyway. As Kaleigh looked to her right she saw something shimmer only 3 feet away from her. The simmer caught her silvery blue eyes and she took a step towards it. The little girl got on her knees and reached into the hole for the item only a foot or two from her hand. She stumbled but recovered quickly, pushing her dirty blonde hair out of her eyes. She stood back up with something smooth but rigid in her hand. She turned around and started to walk back, not looking up but her whole focus on the mineral in her hand. Perhaps she should have looked up and slightly to her left to see the huge truck speeding it's way to her. Even though the child didn't see it, one of the workers did. The worker threw his hard hat off and took off towards the little girl.

“Stop! Stop!” He yelled at the top of his lungs as he tried to reach the little girl, but the truck was coming in fast. With one final effort he gave it everything he had and grabbed the girl and continued to run out of the way. The truck went past them only 3 feet away and the man held the girl tighter in his arms.

“What were you thinking Kaleigh? You almost got killed! Oh thank you so much!” Mrs. Magarfin yelled out of fear, as she reached them. She shook the man's hand very quickly and nervously.

“Thank you mister,” She said in her little kid voice, not making eye contact. The man, whose name was Jack, followed her gaze to the mineral in her hand. He suddenly realized what happened and why the little girl did not move. He got down on one knee to be level with her.

“Can I see that?” He asked, pointing to the mineral. Kaleigh looked up and reluctantly gave it to him. “Oh. Now you see this? It's a mineral we find here. It's called Wolframite. It's not very common but it's beautiful,” The whole time he was talking he saw the girl staring at the wolframite. It was a sharp piece and looked like 3 crystalist joined together. It was light black on the outside and where it connected or was chipped you saw a silver.

“Wow, it's really pretty. I just found it when I was over there.” She sheepishly said pointing over to the mine.

“Well, if  you really like it, and promise to take care of it then you can keep it.” Jack said handing it back to Kaleigh. Her little head shot up.

“Really?” She asked. Jack simply nodded his head. She took the wolframite out of his hand and threw her arms around him. “Oh thank you mister! I will take good care of it! I promise!” KB had caught him off guard with the hug and he almost fell over since he was on his knees.

“Well it's nothing really.” Jake said sweetly to her. Picking her up and placing her on her own 2 feet he whisper in her ear, “There are some people who say they are magical.” This got Kaleigh’s attention.

“You better get going. I suspect the tour is over.” He said giving her a little push towards her classmates.

“Thank you!” She yelled back at him as she ran to catch up. He winked at her and waved. Another construction worker walked up to Jack and stared at the little girl.

“Are you sure about that one? Remember what happened last time.” He said looking at the little girl join her class to load the bus.

“I'm sure this time. There is something different about this one. When the time comes she will be ready. So will the others.” He said in a deadly serious tone. He was deep in thought. When the time comes, she will be ready. He repeated over and over again in his head. When the time comes.



© 2018 KB McFarland


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on February 28, 2018
Last Updated on February 28, 2018


Author

KB McFarland
KB McFarland

About
Hello, I'm KB. KB stands for Kaleigh Brooke but I prefer to be called KB. I started writing around the age of 10 and never stopped. I'm obsessed with fiction, mythical creatures, medieval times, super.. more..

Writing