12 years

12 years

A Story by John
"

This was July 9th this year

"

Today is the day that my life changed forever some would say it was a tragedy but I would tell you it was a blessing. Today marks 12 years that I have been playing the role of a quadriplegic in real life. A lot has happened in those 12 years- let alone this year- which has been very eventful. First and foremost my son graduated from high school and I’m very proud of that! It’s even more impressive to me, because never made it past 9th grade. Second, my dog died. He was a service dog and he was a wonderful companion �" but a bit of a crackhead when it came to food. He would rather be inside laying around then outside doing things. Although he would occasionally play with my brother’s dog, he was addicted to the AC so he never wanted to be outside like most dogs. The third thing, and probably the most wonderful thing that has happened in my entire 12 years of being a quadriplegic, is that my right hand is now on it’s way to being fixed. That was a huge milestone for me because it’s a step closer giving me the ability to pinch to grab things purposefully �" heck, maybe even pull my pants up myself! Wouldn’t that be phenomenal! I’m only one surgery away, hopefully. And, while we are talking about physical blessings- I can’t forget the pressure sore that was located on my left buttocks is healed I am so indescribably happy. I literally have no pain in the a*s anymore! I have been spending my days in bed for 2 years because of the sore. I would go every week to the wound care doctor and there be no forward progress. It was so disappointing for me because I was doing everything I knew to do and not getting anywhere in the way of progress and healing. I’m going to do everything possible to make this time be the last time I’m in bed due to a sore.

It is been a great Journey that I have been on for the past 12 years. Every year I say it - and I will say it again - it has been a learning experience. I have learned how utterly horrible we are to each other and I’ve seen very few glimpses of compassion for another. I really believe that the ugly needs to stop. We need to be more civilized and kind. We sure preach that we are civilized but our actions toward one another would say differently. I mean is it really that difficult to lend a helping hand to someone in need? What does it really take to be courteous to someone? Doesn't cost you anything. Manners are free and can be given out just as freely. They don’t cost you a dime (pun intended!) I can’t say it enough - I am so utterly in love with my family and will be till the day I die.

I know that if this accident never happened I would not be the person I am today I would be someone that not even I would want to be associated with. I am more than appreciative than someone could ever be for the past 12 years. Especially the chance to make my life the way it should have been from the start. I am a happier more loving person with more empathy then I can stand to have. I am a better son, a better father, and generally a better person because of what I’ve been through. I realize this was long but this is been 12 years coming. Anyhow have a fantastic day

© 2019 John


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
Added on November 16, 2019
Last Updated on November 16, 2019
Tags: today

Author

John
John

deland, FL



About
Hi my name is john I am a quadriplegic because of a motorcycle accident. I truly feel I am living the best version of my life. I want to share some of my experiences along the way good or bad. I start.. more..

Writing
How moral? How moral?

A Story by John


My wish My wish

A Story by John