Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Camille D.
"

Audrey has always hated school.

"
"Alright, kids! Welcome back to the new school year! It is so great to have you back! How many of you are excited to be seniors?"
The sea of teens roared in response, clapping and screaming. The enthusiasm brought a smile to my face, but I didn't join the celebration. I didn't have the energy to feign excitement. The frumpy woman at the front of the auditorium continued talking. She was practically foaming at the mouth. 
"Being a senior means that it is your last year of high school! From here, you will live your life as an adult! I've met so many students that thought they were excited for this, but it isn't as easy as it seems."
It's not going to be easy, I thought. It's going to be as horrible as high school is, if not more. If only I could stay in this school forever... At least I know it.

I tuned the woman out. I didn't want to hear what she had to say. I only knew that she was a new guidance counselor that year. I didn't even know her name at the time. 
Maybe I'll make friends this year. Maybe everything will get better. 

I tried to think positively, but it didn't help. I thought the same things the year before. I thought the same things the year before that, too. Bored, I glanced around the dimly-lit room. Everyone else was as uninterested as I was. Even the teachers at the front seemed to be falling asleep. 
I should listen to music. They won't notice. I'm sitting in the back, anyway. Eh... I don't want to get in trouble, though. I'll just wait it out.

I sighed. I wasn't always such a pessimist. In fact, I used to be quite the opposite. Every new year of school I would convince myself that everything would turn around for me; I'd work harder, make friends, my family would get out of the shelter. Nothing ever changed, though. I knew it was my fault. I was scared. I was confused. I wanted so much to escape from all of it, but I was terrified to abandon all I knew. 
"When you leave, you'll proceed to your first period, which is on your schedules. Now, I'm going to let you ask any questions you have." The woman grinned, waiting for someone to raise a hand. Someone did. Someone always had to ask stupid questions. 
Five more minutes, and I can get up! My butt is killing me. I've only been sitting for ten minutes... Am I out of shape?

I swear, this is the worst part of the first day. Just let me go to my classes! 

"Alright, you can all follow your advisory teachers out of the auditorium. Once you're out, make your way to your first class. Good luck, seniors!"
YES!

I eagerly jumped out of my seat and searched for my advisory teacher. I spotted a shiny, bald head and made my towards it. My Advisory teacher, Mr. Merchant, was the type of teacher who had no idea how to control a class. He was nice enough, but he was just too much of a push over to be a good teacher.
"Alright. I think you can all go to your first periods now. Good luck, guys."
My classmates immediately made their way down the stairs, and I followed. I felt my heart start to race a bit.
What is there to be scared of? It's the same as last year! And the year before that... And the year before that one...


© 2014 Camille D.


Author's Note

Camille D.
The first chapter is always a little slow, but what do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on October 13, 2014
Last Updated on October 13, 2014


Author

Camille D.
Camille D.

About
Hello, everyone! My name is Camille, and I'm sixteen years old. I love reading and writing, so I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time on this site! The most important things to know about me are: I l.. more..

Writing