Truth or Dare - Karma Get's Its Say

Truth or Dare - Karma Get's Its Say

A Chapter by KR Bankston - The Author
"

First chapter from my short story collective, "Unraveled: A Short Story Collective" available exclusively at my website.

"

1

“So what time is this party supposed to jump off?” Cyiarra asked her best friend. “Girl, its on now” Layla responded chuckling lightly.
Cyiarra or CiCi as she was called by everyone was looking forward to the party. She needed to relax and unwind, and going with Layla practically guaranteed a good time. The two girls had been friends for years, forging a deep bond that withstood time and distance as they each traveled to different colleges, then returned home.
“You heard from Treasure?” Layla asked eyeing her friend closely.
CiCi sighed deeply and told her no, and that she didn’t want to either.
“Maybe he finally got the message then,” Layla added and CiCi nodded in agreement.

Treasure, or Kendell, as his mama named him, was CiCi’s ex-boyfriend. They’d dated for the last year and it’d been an up and down ride the entire time. CiCi still couldn’t figure out the nickname, seeing how he’d been anything but a treasure when they dated. He was good looking, with a rugged hard look to his six foot frame, creamy caramel complexion, with a breathtaking smile. Kendell was also extremely possessive and treated Cyiarra like property. He was generous, but he was also demanding. Once he took to cheating and putting his hands on her, CiCi knew it was time to end the relationship.

That however proved to be very tricky. Kendell ran with a popular street gang in the city called Illforgiven. They were vicious, deadly, and always at odds with the other two major gangs there. He’d tried to intimidate her at first, telling CiCi he would kill her before he let her go. She’d held her ground and eventually Kendell settled for the occasional harassing phone call. CiCi sighed deeply and returned her attention to the beautiful seafront view they were enjoying as they returned from the beach.
Jacksonville could be a beautiful city, but it could also be deadly if you ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.
“You gonna actually talk to someone tonight?” Layla threw at her, and CiCi had to laugh.
“I might,” she returned. “Depends on who’s there.”
Layla laughed again as they arrived at the apartment they shared and went inside.

*****

“Who’s giving the party anyway?” CiCi asked as she finished her makeup.
They’d showered, changed and were just about ready to leave.
“Jerrick,” Layla answered and CiCi stopped her progress, giving her friend a look. “As in, Westside Kings, Jerrick?”
Layla sighed lightly. “Yeah CiCi,” she answered. “And don’t you trip on me,” she added giving her friend a warning look.
Layla knew CiCi wasn’t trying to get with another gang banger, but this party promised to be off the chain.

CiCi sighed deeply and returned to her makeup.

They were finished moments later, checking their reflections in the mirror. The two women were beautiful, inside and out. CiCi was the shorter of the two, standing only five foot four inches, soft brown hair which hung loosely at her shoulders, expressive brown eyes, complimented by her infectious smile. Her figure was exquisite with each member playing its supporting role of the others. CiCi always garnered her share of attention from the opposite sex no matter where she went, as did Layla, who was five feet seven inches, fair complexioned, with a short fiery auburn coiffure, tiny waist and curvaceous hips.

“We look good girl,” Layla giggled and CiCi endorsed her declaration.

They both exited the house laughing as they headed over to Tradewinds, off of Blane Avenue. This was Jerrick’s new place and tonight was the housewarming. They both knew it would be a wild time, with plenty to eat, drink, smoke or snort. Whatever your pleasure, Westside Kings made sure you got it. CiCi took a deep breath and dismissed any preconceived notions she had about the guys who would be in attendance. Damn, they can’t all be as bad as Kendell, she thought to herself as they rode.

*****

The place was indeed jumping when the ladies arrived. The apartment complex was upper end, with a stone entrance wall and decorative wrought iron gates. The inside of Jerrick’s apartment was equally as lavish. The furnishings were contemporary with brass accenting throughout the apartment. The window and wall treatments were professionally done in earth tones, with the only hint of color being the burnt orange accent pillows on the couch.

CiCi and Layla were immediately inundated with male attention as soon as they hit the door. The ladies politely declined dance invitations as they made their way inside to the bar area. “Wassup Layla?” Jerrick greeted her; looking the woman over in the spaghetti strap, form fitting, ocean blue mini-dress she was wearing. He was glad she’d come, as he’d been trying to

talk to her for the last two or three weeks. “Hey Jerrick,” Layla replied sweetly, very well aware of the man’s affection towards her.

*****

 “Your place is great,” she added as she gathered the drink she’d asked for.
“Why don’t you let me show you the rest of it,” Jerrick replied smoothly.
He wanted to get her alone and talk to her again, possibly getting her to let him get a lot closer to her.

“Mm, that might be nice,” Layla replied, looking over his six footthree inch fine frame and taking the hand that was offered, following Jerrick toward the rear of the apartment and she was sure, his bedroom.

CiCi sighed gently and returned her attention to the party. It wasn’t unusual for Layla to take off on her and it never upset her. She took in the crowd, her eyes meeting finally the man who’d been watching her intently since she entered the room. CiCi smiled slightly and then turned away. Mmph, he is very sexy, she thought as she sipped her drink.

Spade continued to watch the woman, his mind racing. Cyiarra Rooks, he thought to himself as he looked her over, loving every inch he saw in the soft pink t-strap dress she was wearing. He’d seen her when she was dating Treasure, and inquired who she was. No one knew it, but Spade had a serious case of heat for CiCi. He’d been extremely excited when Jerrick told him she would be coming tonight. I’ve got to talk to her; he thought rising to go over to where she stood engrossed in conversation with another guy.

“Excuse me,” Spade said softly, standing close to CiCi’s ear. She felt the heat from his body, immediately arousing her. Gathering herself quickly she turned to him as he stood behind her.

“Yes?” she replied looking into his eyes.

“How’s Treasure?” he asked calmly waiting for her reaction.

The guy she was talking to excused himself, knowing Spade wanted to talk to the woman, and having the good sense to know he wasn’t a man you got in the way of. CiCi sighed audibly, trying to keep her irritation at bay.
“I wouldn’t know,” she replied dryly.

Spade smiled slightly. “So you ain’t with him no more?”

He’d heard through the rumor mill they weren’t kicking it anymore, but he had to be sure before he tried to talk to her. He cared too deeply for her, to get with her, and then she have a case of guilt or something and run back to Treasure.
“No, Kendell and I have been apart for months now,” CiCi replied using his given name instead of the street one.

Spade was quietly regarding her now, and CiCi was a little nervous. What the hell is he up to, she wondered to herself as she watched him. “That’s good to know,” Spade replied never taking his eyes from her.

“Why don’t we go someplace quiet and get better acquainted,” he added waiting on a response from her.

     CiCi looked him over thinking again how sexy he was. She’d heard the nickname and was again confused about its origin. Spade wasn’t dark; he was actually fair, with piercing natural blue eyes, and sandy blonde hair cut very close to his head. He was still fine though, standing a good six foot five, and solidly built. CiCi loved his thighs and arms. He worked out and it showed. She assumed he was of mixed heritage, since there were things about him that were purely ethnic.

“Yeah, I guess that would be ok,” she replied and Spade smiled, taking her hand and leading her to another room in the apartment.

*****

“Wassup Treasure?” Reggie spoke into the phone.
“Nothin’ man, wassup wit cha?” Kendell threw back.

 The two were friends in spite of the Reggie’s reluctance to join Illforgiven.
“I thought you might wanna know your girl is here,” Reggie replied.
He’d been the man CiCi was talking to when Spade walked over. Kendell grew immediately irritated. He loved Cyiarra and he was still pissed that she’d broken it off with him.
“She with that b***h Layla ain’t she?” he threw back, having absolutely no love for her best friend.

She’d been the one to see him with another girl and tell CiCi. The girl had been nothing more than a quick lay for the evening, but it’d been enough to break them up. Kendell was sorry for hurting CiCi when he’d slapped her around, but she wasn’t hearing it. She’d moved, changed her number, and even taken out a restraining order against him. Still he loved her, and he’d vowed to get her back.

“Yeah that’s who she came with,” Reggie replied and Kendell caught the tone.

“What else?” he asked simply.

Reggie looked around; making sure no one was overhearing his conversation. He wasn’t trying to get killed and right now he was definitely in enemy territory.

“She with Spade,” he said simply, and heard Kendell’s reaction.
“What the f**k she doin’ with him?” he asked tightly, angry as hell to even think of another man touching CiCi.
“They just talkin’, but you can tell he wants her,” Reggie replied.
Kendell thanked him for looking out and asked him to keep an eye on her, letting him know when she left. I’ma pay her a little surprise visit, Kendell thought after they disconnected. He didn’t care about the restraining order, they had to find him to arrest him, and he knew his boys would keep him more than covered till the heat was off.



© 2010 KR Bankston - The Author


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is just marvelous you dialoge flows together wonderfully and you know just when to cut off the dialoge and show the thoughts of the chacaters i'm looking forward to reading more into this story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 7, 2010
Last Updated on June 7, 2010


Author

KR Bankston - The Author
KR Bankston - The Author

Jonesboro, GA



About
KR has been writing for years creating several poems, short stories and inspirational plays, before finally venturing into a full-length novel. Some of her greatest literary influences came early in t.. more..

Writing