The mysterious ring

The mysterious ring

A Story by KT-B
"

a story about an unusual find.....

"

The Mysterious Ring



The shop bell tingled as Jeanie entered, the smell of mustiness hit her nostrils hard making her recoil in disgust, but still she ventured in.  Curiosity killed the cat but she was very curious about this little shop and it's contents. It was filled with bric a brac, second hand ornaments and jewellery, she almost purred in delight whilst her eyes feasted on the many interesting items. 


"Can I help you dear" a woman who looked about 100 years old asked from behind the counter. "Oh, I'm just having a look thanks", replied Jeanie, "there is so much to see here, you have quite a haven".  The old women did not reply but busied herself behind the counter.  Jeanie carried on searching through all the items, until she found a very unusual looking ring.  It was gold with an emerald, round stone and in the centre of the stone there was an ever changing picture in black, one minute there would be a cat, then it would change into a lady, then back to the cat again.


"Wow, this ring is so different to anything I've ever seen", Jeanie exclaimed as she took it over to the old lady.  "How much would it be"? She asked tentatively, hoping not too much.  The old lady did not pay much attention to the ring, barely glanced at it which Jeanie thought was odd, but at the same time hoped this would devalue the item somewhat.  "Oh let's say 5 pounds dear I'm sure if you give it a good clean it will gleam at lot better", the old lady bend down to find a box to put the ring in.  Jeanie couldn't believe her luck, she put on a poker face and added a cheap looking green bangle to try and mask the excitement she felt inside.  The bangle was only £1 so Jeanie left with a great smile on her face, celebrating inside the bargains she just got, feeling like a total winner.


She couldn't wait to see the ring in the daylight so she took it out the box and had another look.  The emerald green was certainly brighter and again the black in the middle of the ring changed from cat to lady, lady to cat in a mesmerising fashion.  Jeanie could not wait to show her daughter when she got home from school.  Rosie loved cats, she would be enthralled with this ring. 


As Jeanie made her way along the busy high street, she noticed a black cat coming out an alleyway and making a beeline straight for her.  She couldn't help thinking how weird it was that she was wearing this ring and now a black cat was wrapping itself around her legs and determinedly following her along the road.  Something in the cat's eyes scared her a little, they did not look like cat's eyes, they looked almost human like and were an unusual blue, she would have thought that cats eyes were green.  "Go home p***y cat", she urged, desperately wanting to get rid of it now, it was making her feel uneasy.  The cat continued to follow her and she almost tripped over it in her haste to get away.  It must be the ring she thought, there's something about this ring and this cat that is connected, she was getting very anxious.


Suddenly Jeanie stopped and bend down to stroke the cat.  "Please p***y cat go home", she pleaded once more but the cat showed no sign of leaving her alone.  "Is it this ring"? She asked, feeling a bit foolish talking like this to a cat, the cat started meowing loudly on sight of the ring and started nuzzling it's head against her hand which was the ring.  In fright Jeanie ripped the ring from her finger and threw it away, the cat jumped back at Jeanie's sudden reaction, Jeanie took this opportunity to flea from the cat and did not look back until she got home.


The cat went home for tea.  The ring remained where Jeanie had thrown it.

© 2016 KT-B


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

'The mysterious ring'
Dear Kt-B,
How fun! This story of yours is catching as I found myself wondering what the connection would be between the ring's history and maybe a kitty and a lady as the ring seems to bear a cameo in it's center. Then she aquires her ring and her comes a actual cat. I suppose it figures it would be black too, right? So very fun. I hope you never loose your love of writing stories
Sincerely,
Kathy

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KT-B

3 Years Ago

Thank you Kathy for the encouraging review - please look out for my book “The Changing Man” soon.. read more
Kathy Van Kurin

3 Years Ago

Hi KT-B, A book how wonderful. I wish you every success! Hope you are well and enjoying this early s.. read more



Reviews

'The mysterious ring'
Dear Kt-B,
How fun! This story of yours is catching as I found myself wondering what the connection would be between the ring's history and maybe a kitty and a lady as the ring seems to bear a cameo in it's center. Then she aquires her ring and her comes a actual cat. I suppose it figures it would be black too, right? So very fun. I hope you never loose your love of writing stories
Sincerely,
Kathy

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KT-B

3 Years Ago

Thank you Kathy for the encouraging review - please look out for my book “The Changing Man” soon.. read more
Kathy Van Kurin

3 Years Ago

Hi KT-B, A book how wonderful. I wish you every success! Hope you are well and enjoying this early s.. read more
There's a great lesson in that story indeed. Great job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KT-B

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your review, yes her imagination ran away with her in this story - :)
Indeed mysterious, I loved the surprising element in the story... The beginning was really nice when Jeanie thought she won the day by getting the ring and the bangle in such a low cost... Ending was very good with a surprise... I liked the flow of the story too... Very well done...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KT-B

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your review Dhiman, long time since I wrote a story didn't really know where I was going .. read more
Inject Positivity

7 Years Ago

You didn't bore the reader, it was packed with enough elements to make the reader happy after readin.. read more
KT-B

7 Years Ago

aw thank you, much appreciated :)
Sometimes we get what we ask for - even when we don't realize we did.

There are "flaws" in this writing - but they are readily correctable. If you read the words aloud slowly and AS THEY ARE WRITTEN you will pick up on the flaws. It is the easiest way to check and edit one's writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris

7 Years Ago

we ARE allowed to edit our posts after-the-fact... this is too fun a read to leave known flaws distr.. read more
KT-B

7 Years Ago

aw thanks, yes I will go back and edit I never thought of that - great stuff, cheers Chris :)
Chris

7 Years Ago

cheers milady...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 12, 2016
Last Updated on October 13, 2016

Author

KT-B
KT-B

United Kingdom



Writing
Wedding Ring Wedding Ring

A Poem by KT-B


2020 2020

A Poem by KT-B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..