Coexistence

Coexistence

A Chapter by Kaylee
"

The first chapter!

"

As long as time can remember women have birthed children. At first the infants are cradled in the womb, then in the comfort of their mother’s arms, and once of age a lovers embrace. It’s inevitable. One will be entwined with another. If you ask me… I’d say I’m truly jealous of all creatures that can feel such love. I’ve never felt my mother or father’s embrace.

I’ve always been an abnormal child. Being created from my father, the mighty sun’s flames and my mother, the beautiful moon’s tears. Together they created a child, the only thing they would truly be able to cherish together. The night I was born powerful flames thrashed into a small pond which was hidden in dense woods. Leaves shriveled and burned into a fine crisp from the intense heat.  The surrounding area had turned  a charcoal black color. Once night fell, the moon shed many tears that fell into the pond like a cascading waterfall. With that I was born and I remember hearing two soft voices whisper “We  love you Vivian” as I surfaced from the murky waters.

Infants cannot protect themselves. Naturally my childhood was short lived. The wind caressed my infant body out of the lake and dropped me into a pile of leaves. My bones cracked at the impact and the shrills of a baby could be heard over several miles. My whole body felt as if it had been on fire. The smell of burning flesh is an unforgettable odor. Flames had been dancing around my small body and shot right into my eyes. Still wailing, I could feel a change taking place. Afterwards everything went black.

Several days later I awoke and felt  an intense pang for food and water. I tried to stand but wobbled and fell to the ground. I tried a few more times but each one ended up with me collapsing back on the ground. Crying out in frustration I heard a rustle in the brush not far off from me. I looked towards the area and a tall man with a mighty beard and axe walked my way.“I better get you before the critters come out to play.. and make a meal of you” this odd man spoke with such a deep tone. Before I could make sense of his words he hoisted me up and slung me over his shoulder. I had been so dazed that I didn’t protest or make a fuss during this walk. “I have no idea if you’re deaf or mute… but you’ve yet to  make one sound. That’s odd for a brat at your age. You don’t need to tell me anything yet. Although ,I still  need to properly introduce myself, my name is Shamus.” He said grunting here and there.

I was carried a few more miles and noticed a small cabin could be made out.  Shamus opened the door and tossed me onto a huge couch. “Can you walk?” Shamus asked with a look of concern. “I don’t know how” I yelped to even my own surprise. How can I talk when I’ve never made conversation with another? I can talk with Shamus and make sense of what he’s telling me but I cannot move my own two feet like he does. “Well er, it’s easy… you just stand up and move your feet… I suppose I can teach you. I have a nephew ‘bout your age. I taught him a couple a’ things.” Shamus said while lifting me up. He held my arms, for good balance and instructed me to move my feet one after  another. “Left, right, left, right, left, right.” He chanted and at some point, he let go of my arms and I continued.  A couple steps later I bustled into a wall.

A boom of laughter echoed across the cabin and Shamus said “You can’t go through walls, you’re no ghost! You have to put on your breaks!” I felt my cheeks grow warm with embarrassment and before I knew it I had ran across the room and hid under an end table. Shamus was still laughing when a thudding noise sounded against one of the doors.



© 2016 Kaylee


Author's Note

Kaylee
Welcome to suggestions and thoughts!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on December 27, 2016
Last Updated on December 27, 2016
Tags: Fantasy, Light Hearted, Adventure


Author

Kaylee
Kaylee

Lincoln, NE



About
My name's Kaylee and I'm an aspiring writer. I hope to have my first book published in two years! It's currently in the works! In the meantime, I'd love to build an audience and friendships with fello.. more..

Writing