The Third Place Setting

The Third Place Setting

A Story by K8lyn
"

A little short story I made up...

"

The smell wafted toward my side of the room...sizzling meats and sauces tantalizing my taste buds. I hear the clickity clack of the wooden spoon on a wooden bowl. That low, mellowing sound of wood on wood. It calms me down as I lean back on the cushioned chair...my potruding belly visible under my cotton cami. It's obviously getting too small for my growing self. And the growing person inside.

I look over to the kitchen and he's standing by the stove, stiring the hamburger and tomato in two seperate pans, showing off his perfect coordination without trying to. I really loved that about him. That skill was displayed greatly when he picked up his many instruments we owned. Or he owned, I should say. He had already aquired the skill and the instruments before we had met. He always seemed to have this mysterious background. This unique and stunning quality that shocks you every time, no matter how long youve known him. I hoped the baby would have this quality as well, and not my bland and ordinary personality.

He moves away from the stove and onto the table, setting 3 place settings, making me wonder who else was supposed to be coming. I knew it wasnt going to be just any common guest because it was the nicest china we owned. Silver rimmed with blue flowery patterns in the center, with matching china cups created a wonderfully beautiful place setting. I loved to admire those plates, given to me by Aunt Francis, my mothers aunt, when she passed a couple years ago. I hadnt been married then, just a single, flighty young girl with more dreams than dollars in her pocket. It seemed to me that dwelling on that time wasnt good for me, especially since I knew it was long ago gone. I had a family now, and a job to keep.

He had moved onto the sink now, putting away dirty spoons and things he had accumulated during his cooking process. I felt so inadaquite in the kitchen, I hated it when it was my turn to cook. Which was very often, unfourtanately.

Smooth grace went with every step he took, and the more I watched, the more I didnt want to get up and show my waddle I already had. I could reach my hands down, stretch toward the floor, and almost reach my toes. I was proud of this little accomplishment and rewarded myself with a small chocolate from the bowl on the round table beside my fluffy pink chair. My mother had picked this pink chair out specifically when she learned I was having a baby. The very same day, now that I thought about it. The same day Lea lost her position as hostess for Cia Rinno's and Bella got her long-waited for letter in the mail from her father. Many things had happened in the last year, and thinking about them made me feel old. Older then I was last week, or even just yesterday.

The table is set and beautiful, and now he looks over at me. He studies me, my large belly, my crossed ankles and warmly blanketed upper body. After long deliberation it seemed to me, he picks up one plate in one hand, a half full glass of ginger ale in the crook of his arm, and a fork in the other hand, and walks smoothly toward me with them. Setting them on the little round table, he moves back to his finely set table, picks up his plate, fork, and glass of champagne, and sits down at the smaller wooden chair beside me.

Who is the third place setting for? I ask

Our baby. He replies. Its our 8th month anniversary as a family. He says with a smile.

Watching the bewildered look on my face, he laughs and starts in on his plate of spaghetti. I finally understand what this means, that its finally happening. My dream has been fulfilled, and in this moment, everything is perfect.

No, I wouldnt trade this moment for any other.

© 2011 K8lyn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love the description in this. You really capture the senses here so the reader can feel like they are part of the story.
"The smell wafted toward my side of the room...sizzling meats and sauces tantalizing my taste buds. I hear the clickity clack of the wooden spoon on a wooden bowl. That low, mellowing sound of wood on wood. It calms me down as I lean back on the cushioned chair...my potruding belly visible under my cotton cami." perfect line right there. I liked this!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love the description in this. You really capture the senses here so the reader can feel like they are part of the story.
"The smell wafted toward my side of the room...sizzling meats and sauces tantalizing my taste buds. I hear the clickity clack of the wooden spoon on a wooden bowl. That low, mellowing sound of wood on wood. It calms me down as I lean back on the cushioned chair...my potruding belly visible under my cotton cami." perfect line right there. I liked this!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 11, 2011
Last Updated on March 11, 2011

Author

K8lyn
K8lyn

Denton, TX



About
I am an average perfectionist. I'm slightly OCD. (SLIGHTLY if you didnt catch that.) I like poetry and LOVE books. I call myself artsy. um... my favorite color is green. I'm all about 80.. more..

Writing
A bit of blue A bit of blue

A Story by K8lyn


panic attack panic attack

A Story by K8lyn