New Boots

New Boots

A Story by Kaitlin Ann

Nothing beats new boots, boots made of finely hand sewn leather with the company's blurry logo stamped to the inside, well for this soldier he thought so. He tried on every pair he could find from the uniform storage, he sighed, disappointed in every pair he tried on. 'I might as well fight on my bare feet compared to this heap of junk!' he said while throwing the boots in his hands onto a huge pile of footwear, he gave a small grunt and left. 

As he was walking along the corridor, he pushed his head forwards to keep the rugged worn out boots outta sight, he swiftly turned the corner and spotted a door wide open. He stopped, thinking 'No doors are supposed to be opened on this floor, its a hazard'.
Blinking twice the confused soldier wandered in, first to the left of him a dozen of men were lying on beds looking either pale, rotten or bloody, it didn't take him long to figure it was an emergency aid room, so he believed not to stay there long. He gave a quick glance around the room and something glimmered in the background, the man took almost baby steps to get closer to this shimmer of light, soon from baby steps turned into rushing and stumbling.

Once he reached the other side, he had nearly gotten everyone's attention, but soon it went back to moans and cries, the embarrassed soldier finally managed to reach his target and as if his eyes widened and grew a big grin, it was a pair of shiny black leather boots, the ones as he pictured. He was so lost at admiring his discovery, he didn't noticed the nurse approaching from behind 'I see you have woken up' she said softly 'Woken... up?' he added, 'Its alright, you've just been sleeping for a while, from your return...', she leaned closely towards him, placing her hand on the boots, he quickly pulled away 'What do you mean from my return!?' the man argued. The nurse frowned 'from no man's land', she was waiting for a response but only got a puzzled face, she continued, 'you were set off to war weeks ago, only to return with head wounds', he sat on the floor and began putting the boots on 'he's doing it again doctor!' she called out, the doctor hurried over taking off ragged bloody gloves. 'We need to do something! This is the third incident of the week!' the nurse exclaimed 'right, we keep him until the supplies arrive, I can save him then. The doctor leaned down to him 'you alright boy!?' the young man jumped up 'why wouldn't I be? Ready for action sir!' the doctor smiled 'follow me into battle then!' he ordered, and off they marched into the corridor.  

© 2015 Kaitlin Ann


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on January 31, 2015
Last Updated on January 31, 2015
Tags: WarWorldTwo, sad, short story, Historical fiction

Author

Kaitlin Ann
Kaitlin Ann

Dublin, Ireland



About
Write to inspire yourself, at first others will not see and try to discourage you from your path, but once you feel you have succeeded the others will conceal or be inspired as you were from the begin.. more..

Writing
My Mommy My Mommy

A Poem by Kaitlin Ann