Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Alexis Cather

Trina couldn’t believe it was actually true. She and Nelly still stood at the pedestal, just staring at it. How could the life force of the entire forest possibly get stolen? Trina looked at Nelly who was still staring at the pedestal. Then she turned and looked at the forest behind her. What would happen to their home? This was the Tribe of Friggins or the Tribe of the Forest. How can they be that if there was no forest?

Trina was about to leave when she heard voices. She and Nelly without even looking at each other dived into the nearby brush. They hid there for a moment listening to the voices. Trina was surprised at who she was hearing. It was Chief Friggins, Mr. Ramerr, and some footmen.

“Sir, please why are you insisting on coming out here? You know men can’t be out in the forest. What about the Irresistible?”Mr. Ramerr said.

“Mr. Ramerr, the Irresistible do not come to the shrine. They fear the intense power the Emerald of Law possesses,” the chief answered.  

There wasn’t much talking for a little bit. Trina lost sight of the men. That must mean they’ve gotten closer to the shrine. She shifted her position to another gap. Nelly yelped. Trina quickly put her hand over her friend’s mouth and looked nervously at her. Nelly had a nervous look as well. Trina mouthed, ‘Sorry,’ before turning back. The men weren’t quite at the pedestal yet, but they were still far away enough not to notice the missing jewel.

“Chief Friggins, do you honestly believe that stupid girl. It’s probably just hormones giving her visions. She is a teenager after all,” Mr. Ramerr finally spoke again.

“I do not believe her, but she reminded me that I haven’t checked the shrine since the middle of January,” Friggins said getting a little irritated.

There was a moment of silence before one of the footmen gasped.

Trina looked and saw Mr. Ramerr freaking out looking around on the dead ground for the emerald. Chief Friggins just stood there in disbelief.

“She… was right,” Friggins said with fear in his voice. He looked around. “If the jewel is not here… then we must tell the tribe, send a search party and-“

The chief was cut off by singing somewhere far off. It seemed to be coming this way too.

Mr. Ramerr’s head shot up in total fear. “And get the hell out of here!” he shouted leaping up and running off back toward the village.

Trina shook her head. Wimp, she thought.

One guard followed Mr. Ramerr. The other, a woman stood with the chief. Friggins looked utterly dead. He knew exactly what would happen to the tribe.

“Jeanette, I’ve failed as a chief. The forest is going to die now,” he muttered.

The guard sighed and touched the chief’s shoulder affectionately. “You are a fine chief. This is something you could not prevent. My guards and I will find the emerald even if it kills us,” she said. The singing began to get louder. Friggins looked in its direction, but shook his head. “We’d better go sir, before you get hypnotized by them.”

Friggins nodded and left the clearing with Jeanette. Trina popped her head out when she was sure it was safe. Nelly’s head popped out next to hers. She looked at Trina sympathetically and crawled out of the brush. Trina followed.

Neither girl spoke on their way home. They’d both seen and heard the same thing. There was no doubt now that the whole tribe would fall apart. Everybody would either die or scatter to join new tribes or attempt to live in a city or on their own. Everything Trina and Nelly had ever known will be gone.

Trina dropped Nelly off at her house once in the village. Everything still seemed normal though. The chief must be giving an announcement tomorrow. A memo would be sent around tonight if that were the case then.

Nelly looked at Trina and sighed. “So now what?” she asked standing outside her house.

Trina looked at the ground. “I honestly don’t know right now. Wait and see?” she said.

Nelly nodded and without another word went inside. Trina trudged the rest of the way home thinking about everything. This was all too much for her to handle.

Once home Trina did speak to anyone. Delfi didn’t care but Serenity seemed worried. She followed Trina to her room just as Trina laid down.

“Trina what happened?” she asked standing in the doorway.

Trina rolled over and face away from Serenity. “Too much,” she muttered.

Serenity walked over to Trina and sat on the edge of the bed. “Honey you need to tell me. Did Chief Friggins believe you?”

“Sort of… He didn’t at first, but then… Nelly and I… we saw. The emerald… really is gone,” Trina explained.

Serenity sighed. “So that’s what the announcement is for tomorrow. I had a feeling it was true. Nothing feels right in the forest. But Trina please don’t worry too much-“

Trina sat up and glared at Serenity. “How can I not worry!? Serenity I’m about to lose everything entirely! First it was mom and dad, I even lost Delfi! And now I’m losing my home. The forest is the only place that I can actually reconnect with my past and now it’s all going to be gone!”

“Sweetie, the guards will find the emerald. I’m sure of it,” Serenity said not fazed by Trina’s outburst.

“That’s your problem! You’re too hopeful! You expect everyone to fix everything. You won’t even consider the fact that we’re going to lose everything! Geez you’ve already lost your own kids! Aren’t you aware you’re going to lose everything too?!”

Once Trina said it she wished she hadn’t. Serenity’s expression changed from sympathy to anger, straight to sadness. She said nothing and left the room. Trina could faintly see a tear roll down Serenity’s cheek when the door closed. Trina clenched her fists fell into her pillow. Why was she so stupid!? Trina always said things without thinking and now she upset Serenity. She got up and looked out the window. The breeze was cold, like the ones in winter.

“Stupid witch! Why can’t you just tell me what I have to do straight instead of all these riddles!” she shouted. Trina sighed and kicked a little teddy bear that lay next to her. It hit the wall and sat straight up staring at Trina.

Realizing what the stuffed animal was Trina quickly ran over and picked it up. The bear was old and had one ear missing. Most people would throw something like that away, but this teddy bear was special to Trina. It was the last present her parents had given her before they died. She held it close thinking about the first day she got it.

 

It was a cold winter night. Trina was about five and had been sitting in the living room waiting for her parents. Her mother was out late hunting and her father was out training. Delfi had already gone to bed. Trina sat there staring at the door with a tiny blanket around her, shivering like crazy. She had never taken being cold well. That was why she hated winter so much. A few minutes later the door swung open and two figures appeared in the doorway. Trina shot up and hugged her dad first since he was in front. He was cold and had snow on him, but Trina didn’t care. He picked her up and smiled.

“Have you been sitting here all night?” he asked.

Trina nodded. “I got scared Daddy. I couldn’t sleep without you guys here.”

Her mother closed the door and stood next to her husband. She took Trina into her arms and hugged her little daughter. “Well it’s okay now sweetheart, we’re home now.”

“And so you won’t have to wait every night, we got you this,” her dad said pulling out a little teddy bear out of his bag.

Trina squealed and took the bear and hugged it.

“Now any time that we’re not home, just keep your bear close and think of us,” her mother said.

Trina nodded. “Thank you Mommy. Thank you Daddy.”

 

Trina brought the bear over to bed with her and laid down. She missed those days, but knew not to think much of them. They were the past, just memories that can never return. She held the bear close as she slowly fell asleep.

~*~

Trina opened her eyes. She was in the forest, but something wasn’t right. Everything was dead. Trees were charred black; some reduced to stumps and others just lifeless hollow pieces of wood. Moonlight covered the whole area. The weather was below freezing when it should be warm. Trina gasped. This was her home, but how? It couldn’t possibly June yet.

Trina looked around and saw a faint green light coming toward her. She looked closer and a familiar woman appeared. Her silk green dress hovered around her, her hair silver hair lay over her shoulders and her eyes shined with a green radiant light.

“Trina is this what will happen by June 21,” she said.

“Yeah I figured that. What do you want?” Trina said rudely. Sure that probably wasn’t the best way to address an ancient spirit, but at this point Trina didn’t care.

“The guards will fail to find the emerald. Only young blood can seize the jewel and save the land,” the witch said.

Young blood? “Do you mean me?” Trina asked.

The witch didn’t reply to Trina’s question, but continued speaking. “But beware where one life is saved, another will be lost,” she said as she began to fade.

“Wait no! What do you mean? You can’t possibly mean me to go find the emerald!” Trina shouted.

“You will know what to do Trina. Only you.”

 

Trina shot up in her bed. She looked around to see herself in her room. Her alarm clock read three o’clock. She sighed clutching her teddy bear. She looked out the window from her bed. What did the witch mean? Only young blood can seize the jewel… One life is saved, another will be lost. Trina looked at her bear. Though it seemed crazy, she knew what to do.

Only Trina can save the tribe. She had to be the one to find the emerald.



© 2012 Alexis Cather


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on November 26, 2012
Last Updated on November 26, 2012


Author

Alexis Cather
Alexis Cather

St. Charles, MO



About
I am a very happy and fun loving person normally. I'm going to tell you right now I am insane and I tend to put that in my writing. Yes I need to see a therapist sometimes lol. Anyway I love writing, .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Alexis Cather


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Alexis Cather


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Alexis Cather