Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Daniel Tran

It was time, ‘He’ was coming. As usual, I sat in the corner of my cell. I sat in the dark, waiting. The doors locking mechanisms made loud metallic sounds as it slid open. Blinding light danced into the cell, making me squint and turn away. ‘He’ was there; ‘He’ was always there. ‘He’ would come every day, bind me, blind me, and take me ‘there’. I could only remember glimpses of what would happen; bright lights, cold metal, and masked men in green. I remember sharp blades, the cold bite when they pierced my skin and the warmth as my blood poured out. I would black out soon after and wake up in my cell; my skin intact as if had never happened, as if it were a dream. I always shudder at the thought. I feel so tired…… always tired.

I think, I’ll sleep.


*********************


I waited as usual, for ‘him’. Today seem weird, ‘He’ was late. I think I had the day to myself, though it was hard to tell. I am kept in a cell, without windows, without much airflow, without light. I was in constant darkness. It’s probably their way of keeping me ignorant. At first I couldn't tell time, only dates but after a while I lost count of the days. So I laid in my cell, in my cot letting my mind drift around, imagining life outside of the confines of these walls. I started dreaming usually, of the past, of my life back then  long before any of this. This time I remembered her, I remember it.



*********************

I remember running, the world was so big around me. I was so small and fragile, a child no less. We were in my home time. I remember feeling excited, but what for escaped me. I was running ahead, guiding her, rushing her. I was scolding me for my impatience, but it was gentle. As soon as she finished speaking I would dart from my place by her side rushing her again. I sprinted across the street, turned to see if she was keeping up. She was no less a foot behind me, but her hand was reaching out to me, her face was full of worry. I never saw it coming, and I guess she didn't either. One moment she was right in front of me, the next, was the truck that blindsided her. Everything pulsed and disappeared into white.

 
*********************

I jolted up, a bead of sweat rolled from my temple. It was of her, and when I lost her. My heart ached and my mind blurred. It hurt more than anything these madmen could ever or will ever do to me. I couldn’t take it. I fell off my rack as I started thrashing; I tore at the metal walls of my cell, and threw my rack. My hands bled and bones were broken, but it didn’t matter in my fit of rage. I ended up in the corner of the cell, sniveling like a child. It hurt and I wanted the pain to all go away, but I knew the truth, losing her…

“It was my fault….”



*********************

Time passed before something happened. There was a clank, and the door open with an swoosh. Light poured into the cell. I covered my eyes with my hand.

“Subject K-36, it’s your lucky day," 'He' said in steady suave voice, "We’ll see," 'He' paused looking for the proper wording, "how great an investment you are now.”

I said no words in reply, and only watched. ‘He’ however did not enter this time, in his stead two soldiers came in to restrain me. I put up no fight, because it made no difference. I would rather conserve my strength for a chance worth taking. As of late, my strength has been lacking. This time, they did not blind me nor did they incapacitate me, but instead simply drug me out of my cell. The light outside blinded me for the first few seconds, but my eyes adjusted.

As I looked around, trying to study my surroundings. I noticed my cell is one of many lined down a long hallway. So many cells that I couldn't  see the end. At that moment, I felt some sort of twisted hope. A mixed feeling of relief as I was not the only one, and devastation, that I was not the only one. But now I know…..I’m not alone.



*********************


Minutes after leaving my cell, I started walking on my own; preferring into make full use of what little freedoms I had left. My limbs felt heavy ever since I was brought here, but I could manage. I was planning an escape.

I looked to my sides, the two soldiers wore helmets which make it hard to see their face, or any distinguishing marks. They were both in uniform combat fatigues, and some sort of high grade military equipment. They were obviously military of some sort, government or some sort of private militia. Our march was a quite one, through the long halls of this maize like complex. We marched for little over an hour before the soldier to my right said something.

He said, “You should feel proud. You’re going to become a hero.”

He spoke more, but I paid no heed. Instead of his words, I listened to his tone and voice. It was familiar, and in a sort, soothing. It was a higher pitch, which made me assume he was young; or at the least younger than most around here. We walked, and he talked. I was lost in thought.


“We’re here”

I raised my head; a large metal door towered over us. The technology used within this facility was obviously advance, making me wonder who was funding this. We stood for several seconds; with a hiss, a small part of the door slid open, large enough for whatever little contraption to pass.

The probe hovered over to us, and in a blink of an eye scanned us. The probe announced:

“ALPHA PROJECT Subject K-36 CLEAR”

“Sergeant No. 2214 CLEAR”

“Private No. 4621 CLEAR”

The probe disappeared into the wall as fast as it had appeared. A large gust of air, and a hissing sound, pronounced as the door opened, letting a sort of steam or mist drift out.

We walked through the large metal door, into what seem like a large laboratory like room. Machines of unclear implementations lined the wall, computers where about, everything was strange and shiny. Everything seemed to be centered around a large tank. It was a glass cylinder with computers and assortments of machines built around and on it. Inside of it were restraints.

I knew immediately that this was not the lab I had been experimented on till late. I whipped my head around desperately looking for a way to escape, something I could use to defend myself. It was as I realized that everything in the room posed as much danger to me as anyone else. I had little time to think more before a familiar voice called out to me.

It was “Him”. He stood a floor above my own looking down at me through a one-sided mirror. There was no way for me to tell he was there but I knew, as if my very being itched in his presence.

“Hello K-36”

My rage blocked out everything else, I started to thrash around in an attempt to reign myself out of the guards grips. I wanted to kill him. For everything he had done and will do to me.

My lack of strength evident, for the guards did not budge an inch no matter how much I pulled.

‘He’ began again, “If you would doctor, I would prefer this to be over as soon as possible”

A short bald old man in a lab coat approached me; he struck me in the arm, and injected something making me feel weak and even more powerless. He directed several people wearing similar uniforms.

The guards strapped me into the cylindrical machine. All I could as was watch them work from within the contraption.

My limbs would not respond, and I could not free myself of my restraints no matter how much I tried.

The men in lab coats each took a station at one of the computers and machines. At this point, I was trying to scream at the top of my lungs, a practice long abandoned during the start of their cruel experiments. I could hear some of the gears on the machines moving. Whatever they were going to do to me was starting.



© 2013 Daniel Tran


Author's Note

Daniel Tran
I apologize if it's hard to understand. If possible, please provide feedback

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

it's a good start, and an interesting story. It does have a lot of grammar issues ("to have drug one out of the cell" should be "dragged") but all in all you have a captivating prologue. I'd try to make each section longer, though; it's hard to follow when the paragraphs are sectioned off. You might try interspersing the memory as italics in the beginning part, rather than making it a paragraph, as it interrupts the flow where it is.

I can't wait to read more!!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
1 Review
Added on May 19, 2012
Last Updated on April 10, 2013
Tags: Sci-Fi


Author

Daniel Tran
Daniel Tran

OH



About
I like reading fantasy adventure stories. I read almost anything that has a dragon in it, and I enjoy writing stories too. I see an adventure everywhere; everything is inspiration for writing, one way.. more..

Writing
Headaches Headaches

A Chapter by Daniel Tran