There's A Moon Out Tonight - Chapter 1 New Moon

There's A Moon Out Tonight - Chapter 1 New Moon

A Story by Karinka20
"

This story is about the Umbra Witch Elder and current possessor of the Left Eye, named Isabelle and her reign over her clan. Accompanied by her escort, Rosa, the two of them go on a series of meetings

"
After the First Armageddon there was a struggle between the Trinity of Realities: Paradiso, Inferno, and Chaos. Aesir, who no one knows where he came from, ascended as the God of Chaos and rested upon the highest and most sacred mountain known as, Fimbulventr. As the true creator of the human realm, he has watched over Man and his journey through time for hundreds of millennia. Observing Man as he wished for incongruous dreams, Aesir took pity on him for trying to create the rules of a world that he will neither own nor fully understand. It was Aesir who saw through the reality that Man knew and it were his visions are what made the world. After one eternity Aesir could no longer remain silent and ignore Man's naivety and lack of free will, he decided to relinquish his power by splitting it into two. His Right Eye of Light was given to the Lumen Sages, a clan of European light followers from ancient times with an affinity towards Paradiso. Aesir's Left Eye of darkness was given to the Umbra Witches, the Lumen Sages counterparts and another European clan that were dark art practitioners from history who contracted themselves to Inferno. For thousands of years the two clans had a mutual respect for each other and worked in harmony, but that all changed when an Umbran Witch and Lumen Sage met.

    Inside the Umbran training hall, filled with onlooking Umbran witches, a young Umbran witch is hurled into a wall hard. She gives a horrific cry upon impact as she collapses to the floor. Isabelle, with long silver hair flowing in the wind and eyes as grey as a cloud at twilight, is seen out of breath as she just delivered the final blow to her opponent. Her eyes sharpen as she watches her opponent struggle to her feet. Everyone waits to see if her opponent has any more fight left in her. However, she gives one final gasp for air just before she falls to the floor for good. Aster, the current possessor of the Left Eye and Elder of the Umbra witches, approaches Isabelle. Isabelle stands tall as she awaits Aster's response.
"Isabelle?"
"Yes."
"You've earned your place, here today, and with your Umbran sisters given witness, as the rightful owner of the Left Eye. Our most treasured of all treasures."
    Isabelle bows on one knee upon receiving the Left Eye. She stands tall as Aster places the Left Eye in Isabelle's palms and closes them tightly within her own hands. Aster leans in close to Isabelle's ear so that no one could hear her.
"Congratulations, my Daughter."
"Sisters!" roared Aster. "Gaze upon your new possessor of the Left Eye. Let her strength, wisdom, and courage guide us to another harmonious century! As we continue passing through time, being a witness to history, let us not fall short of our obligations. Our duty! Our strength! But most importantly, our pride!"
    The training hall is filled with cheers and applauds.
Aster turns to Isabelle and whispers to her, "Do not fail your sisters. Do as I have done and keep our lineage strong and unmatched."
"No need to worry, Mother. The Left Eye, our treasured Left Eye, will never fall into the hands of another. I swear to you."
    Aster nods knowing that Isabelle would never make a liar of herself. Isabelle places the Left Eye within a node in her witch clock. Her clock pulsates a blackish purple aura and she consumes the power completely. She gives a small smile.

    A few days pass and it's time for Isabelle's first meeting with the Lumen Sage's Right Eye heir. Walking along Isabelle's side is her colleague, Rosa, a beautiful witch roughly around the same age as Isabelle. They travel through a beautiful garden filled with flowers, trees, and rolling green grass as they walk underneath marble columns. A golden light showers everything it touches.
"I am honored that you would choose me, Elder Isabelle," says Rosa. "I thought you would go with a more appropriate choice."
"'More appropriate'?" chuckles Isabelle. "Are you saying you're not up for the task of being my personal escort to these meetings? Are you saying you're not good enough and I have possibly made a mistake?"
"Not at all!" rebutted Rosa fearing that she might have offended Isabelle. "I figured I would better serve the clan continuing my lessons with the trainees."
"Your lessons can wait, Sister Rosa," says Isabelle. "This is far more important, though I have no doubt you are irreplaceable. I'll have you back with your students as soon as I can. Not to mention I like you."
    The two of them smile and giggle at each other.
"By the way," starts Rosa. "Do you know anything about this Lumen Sage? All I know is he's the inherent of the Right Eye and has been for some time now. I suppose they don't have to prove their worthiness for possession of their Eye. Is he their King or Lord? Or maybe there are some politics involved?"
"I can't honestly say," answers Isabelle. "All I know is his name, and he's been governing the sages for a very long time. I heard he even has the power to strip sages of their affinity. He'd already did it to one of his Fathers, but I can't remember his name nor what the forbidden Father had done. To be honest Rosa, I'm a little nervous. Mother told me nothing about how the proceedings should go."
    Rosa stops walking. Isabelle stop to turn to her.
"You'll be just fine. Follow your instincts. That's what got you where you are now."
Isabelle smiles, "Thank you, Rosa."

    The two of them approach a massive gold and white stone door. Isabelle opens the massive door slowly, Rosa follows close behind. They enter into a void of space and time, filled with white light. In the center of this vast space, going up a small set of stairs,  there's a circular table big enough for two people made of pearl white iron. Isabelle walks up the stairs first and sits. Rosa stands on her right side. They both patiently wait.
"I feel like my heart is going to burst through my chest."
    Suddenly, the huge door slowly opens. Enters Balder, cloaked in white and gold in an exquisite robe, he is followed by another sage as his escort.
"Sorry, to keep you ladies waiting," he grins.
"We've only just arrived," Isabelle says calmly.
    Balder takes a seat as his escort stands on his left side.
"You're new, Umbra," grins Balder. "Your name."
"Isabelle, daughter of former Elder Aster."
"Ah, yes, your mother. She was a very pleasurable person."
"And I will be the same."
    Balder takes notice of Rosa. She looks away when their eyes meet. He ignores her gesture and continues on with the meeting. The meeting only last for a few hours before both Isabelle and Balder stand, shake hands, and then depart.
"Well, it was very nice meeting you, Elder Isabelle."
"And the same to you, Father Balder," says Isabelle. "I look forward to our next meeting."
"Indeed," he says sweetly. He looks toward Rosa and gives her a small head tilt, "Sister Umbra."
    Rosa closes her eyes and gives a small head bow in return. The sages leave before them. Isabelle exhales deeply placing her hand on her beating heart and begins to walk. Rosa places her hand on Isabelle's shoulder.
"Wonderful job, Elder Isabelle."
    Isabelle places her hand on top of Rosa's and smiles.


    Months turned to years as Isabelle and Balder continue to hold their meetings and govern over human history. Throughout the years Isabelle's and Rosa's relationship had started to deteriorate as Rosa had become more of a subordinate rather than a friend. Isabelle had grown more stern and seemingly lost her friendly and compassionate heart, yet the Umbras were stronger than ever before. She fueled her sisters into creating bigger and stronger machines, practicing riskier magics, and honing their skills in practically every weapon imaginable. Isabelle had become a fearless and strict powerhouse. She wanted the Umbras stronger. She needed the Umbras stronger in mind, body, and soul to be an unstoppable force to be reckoned with. Then one fated day it all changed.

    Isabelle and Balder are in the middle of a heated discussion in regards to the direction of their clans. Isabelle is tired and just moments away from abruptly leaving.
"Isabelle, this is madness!" roars Balder. "You've grown sour and unreasonable. Blinded by your own gain you will upset the balance that makes us counterparts. I can barely stand being seated away from you."
"Counterpart is but a mere word," sneers Isabelle. "You are of Laguna, and we are Inferno, that is as far as it goes. Making sure that we are equal in any other respect is none of my concern if you allow your Fatherhood to grow weak."
Balder jumps up from the table, "How dare you, you witch!"
    Rosa pulls out her trusted set of long barrel revolvers, Unforgiven, and aims directly at Balder. Balder's escort, whips out his broadsword and draws it close to her throat. Rosa breathes heavily as she stares down his escort, as the escort does the same.
"Is this how you would have it, witch?" Balder coos to Isabelle. "Bloodshed over your greed?"
    Isabelle calmly folds her arms,  completely indifferent to the stand off. Balder cuts his eye at Rosa. She looks at him and sees the glimpse of the Right Eye shimmer within it. Rosa frowns as she slowly lowers her guns.
"What are you doing?!" yells Isabelle toward Rosa. "Would you allow him to disrespect your Elder Sister?!"
"He's right," Rosa says softly.
"What?" Isabelle says with her voice slowly rising with anger.
"This is folly," says Rosa. "If I may speak out of term but fighting is not the answer. I will protect my sister, from anyone or anything, prepared to give my life willingly. However, I will not throw my life away over your pride. It would destroy us all."
    Isabelle's eyes are filled with rage as she stares down Rosa. Balder gives a small smile and signals his sage to lower his weapon.
"I commend you, witch," Balder praises Rosa to much of Isabelle's displeasure. "At least one of you here have not lost your sanity. After all these years you have been in my presence and I've failed to know your name."
    Rosa looks to Isabelle who's giving her a threatening look to not answer him. Rosa doesn't answer him and stands close to the side of Isabelle. Balder chuckles as he leaves with his escort.
"Until we meet again."
    He makes it seem as if he was talking to Isabelle, but she knew better. She knew that statement was for Rosa.
    Back in Isabelle's chambers, she makes herself ready for bed. Rosa is helping Isabelle change clothes and removing her makeup. The tension is heavy between them.
"Let that be the last time you speak to me like that."
"Yes, Elder Isabelle."
"Let that be the last time you entertain that sage's blather."
"Yes, Elder Isabelle."
"Let that be the last time you go against your Umbran Sister."
"...Yes, Elder Isabelle."

    It is time again for Isabelle and Balder to meet since the last time. Tension is high and there seems to be no attempt to repair the damage that has been caused. However, they know for the sake of their clans and the fate of the world, they must put their differences aside and keep moving forward. The two of them stand across from one another. They sit in unison and not making any time for pleasantries. Balder stares dead at Isabelle remaining stiff as a rock. Isabelle sneers at Balder, tightening her lips. Rosa and Balder's escort just look at each other expecting the worse. Balder takes it upon himself to break the silence by giving his attention to Rosa.
"That's a wonderful scent you're wearing."
    Rosa ignores him.
"Do I detect a hint of lavender?" he asks Rosa who doesn't even look his way. "It's very calming. All the more fitting during this consul."
"Stop talking to her and let's get this out of the way," snapped Isabelle.
"My, my, my, so it appear you haven't lost your tongue. I rather talk to her than going back and forth with you, witch."
"Sister," says Isabelle. "Since you appear to be a distraction for the sage, I ask you remain outside until this is over."
    Rosa looks concern for Isabelle's safety.
"Don't worry about me. If anything goes wrong, I am more than certain I can handle it."
    Balder rolls his eyes slightly at her remark to his escort.
"As you wish, Elder."
    Rosa quietly does as she is told, yet Balder's eyes linger on her until she is out of sight. Isabelle's clearly annoyed by his behavior. Balder realizes his actions anger Isabelle. He grins.
    A few hours later the doors swing open. Isabelle comes charging out, leaving Rosa behind.
"Elder Isabelle?" Rosa gasps.
    Balder and his escort stand in the entrance.
"Leave us," Balder says to his escort. His escort nods and leaves Balder alone with Rosa.
"What have you done?" snorts Rosa.
"Why do you assume I am to blame," Balder coyly smiles. "Were you not a witness to the way she acted before she so rudely kicked you out?"
    Rosa is not entertained. Balder notices and suddenly becomes serious. He takes a step closer to Rosa. She stands her ground as the two of them lock eyes.
"What would you have me do, witch?" questions Balder. "Sit back and lay idly by and let her do as she please? I have no liking for that creature. She is nothing like the woman before her."
"She's better."
"You really believe that?"
    Rosa says nothing standing defiantly. Balder's eyes soften as Rosa suddenly looks away from him. A small grin appears on his face as he steps away from her.
"What do you think of me?" he asks.
"What?" she says slightly shocked.
"What do you think of me? Or does your Elder have restrictions on your thoughts just like your movements?"
    Rosa's slightly annoyed by the smug look on his face as if he already knows what she's thinking.
"I think nothing of you, sage," she says curtly. "I am loyal to my Umbran Sister. And if she has an issue with you, then so do I."
Rosa storms off.
    Balder watches her walk off. He adjusts his monocle and grins.


    The next couple of meetings went on as usual. Isabelle and Balder made little progress as they continue to bump heads, yet, are able to keep things civil. Balder continue to compliment Rosa every second he got near her, always about her perfume. Isabelle was growing impatient with him but was proud to see Rosa continue to deny him  whatever he sought from her. However, Rosa was slowly starting to give in and even found him charming. Obviously, she would keep this to herself from Balder but definitely Isabelle.

    One night Rosa is out in the garden in the city of Vigrid, with her small group of students. The public area is private enough for Rosa to take her students out for a little outing without having to worry about prying human eyes.
"Now, remember class," she says as she paces back in forth. "When summoning both your mind and body must be focused. If you break your concentration for only a second, your demon will devour you whole."
    From the heavens above Balder watches Rosa through his looking mirror in his bedroom. He is in awe by her poise and intellect as she dictates her lessons to young Umbran hopefuls. Suddenly, he has an idea and leaves his quarters.
    Rosa dismisses her class and all the girls go off to enjoy what's left of their night. Rosa gathers her things and proceeds to go home. Watching her from around the corner awaits Balder. As Rosa approaches Balder's direction she senses something. She walks cautiously to Balder's position with Unforgiven drawn. She turns the corner and aims directly at Balder who stands unmoved.
"You?!"
“Yes," he grins. "And you, too."
"What are you doing here?"
"Out for a casual stroll," he says.
    He slowly steps out and walks around Rosa as if he is circling prey. She is still in a defensive stance as her eyes are locked on his every movement.
"They say this city is closely connected to Paradiso. I've never took the time to really explore what this city has to offer."
    He stops moving in front of her.
        "I mean you no harm, witch. Please, lower your weapons."
    Rosa thinks about it, then she slowly lowers her arms and puts Unforgiven away.
"Father Balder," she starts. "Be honest. What brought you here? You have a message for Elder Isabelle that you want me to relay?"
"...No."
"Then," she says nervously. "What? Because I have other business that requires my attention and I can't be seen lurking about with you in the middle of the night."
"Lurking?" he laughs. "You make it seem like I am some sort of fiend."
    There's an awkward silence between them. Rosa feels her heart racing but she tries to maintain her composure. She can't allow herself to get fluster. Balder notices her clenched trembling fists. Balder steps forward backing Rosa against the wall. Rosa's jaw tighten as she glares deep into his soft blue eyes. Despite her trying to seem annoyed or angered by his presence, Balder looks at her with a soft face knowing she is only acting this way to keep up appearances.
"I want to have a word with you, without the prying ear and watchful 'Left Eye'," he whispers. "Do you mind?"
"...Not at all, if it's business."
    Balder chuckles under his breath as he walks away. Rosa takes a few moments to collect herself before she follows behind him. The two of them walk through the city under a full moon. Rosa continues to keep her distance as she keeps the conversation mutual between them. Balder, too, keeps a professional and respectful front as he has a casual conversation with Rosa and his overall concern with the leadership of Isabelle. They both come across a bridge and stop in the middle. Rosa walks over to the edge and looks over into the river. She stares at her reflection in the ripples, lost in thought. Balder's reflection appears next to her. He, too, looks at his reflection but he's more focused on  Rosa's.
"Tell me what troubles you?"
"Father Balder--"
"--Please, just call me Balder."
"...Balder," she turns to him. "I understand your concerns, but I am not the one you should burden your woes upon. You put me in a very awkward position and it isn't right. It would appear that I am conspiring against my sister."
"Why shouldn't I come to you?"
"Because."
"That is not good enough. Give me a reason."
"I am not suited for it. It is not my duty."
"I trust you more than your Elder," he says sternly. "Isn't that what this is all about? Trust? I can tolerate your Elder as much as I can, but with you there, knowing that I have someone I can trust on the opposite side. You will save our clans from ruin."
    Rosa shakes her head. Balder's slightly confused.
"You have really lost your sanity if that's what you fooled yourself to believe."
Balder gazes at her longingly, "Maybe I have from being in this position too long."
    Rosa realizes how he's looking at her. She turns away with a small smile on her face.
        "The first time."
        "What?"
"This is the first time I see you smile. It's not a big one of course, but I'll take it," he chuckles. "It's better than the other first time."
"And what would that be?" she questions.
"You aiming your revolvers at me. Our first interaction."
"At least that one is more memorable," she softly giggles.
    Rosa's more at ease and playfully stares him down. Balder looks confused and looks himself over.
"What? Is there something wrong?"
"So, you want a friendship? Is that what you're seeking out of me?"
"If that's what you're willing to offer me, nameless witch," he smiles. "Then that's what I am more than willing to accept."
"Huh? I'll have to think about it," she says playing hard to get.
    Balder realizes what she's doing and has no problem playing along with her.
"You're different--"
"--Oh, stop! Is that what you're really going to say to me next?"
"You didn't let me finish!" he laughs. "I was going to say you're different from any other witch in the past. None of which I would have given a second thought to in regards to being a... friend."
"Well, it's not as if I've ever been friends with a sage before."
"So, are we the first for that, too?"
"It's a night of many firsts," she giggles.
"Then this will be a new venture for the both of us."
    Rosa stares down at the ground not knowing what to do or think. Was this a ploy? Is he deliberately trying to anger Isabelle for some sick reason? Balder, with hope filled eyes, expects Rosa to hear the sincerity in his voice; to believe that he is honest in wanting a true friendship with her. In an instant, she trusts him and knows his intentions are true.
"Well, I must be going," she says. "I've stayed out long enough."
"I understand. I hope we can meet again like this."
    She nods as she walks away. Balder watches her leave when she suddenly stops.
"Rosa."
"Pardon?"
"My name is Rosa," she says playfully looking over her shoulder, slightly cutting her eye at him. "Since we're attempting to be friends you should know my name."
Balder grins, "Yes, of course, Rosa."
    Rosa continues walking away with a smile on her face. She can sense the smile on his face as she doesn't look back. The reflection of the moon in the river is much calmer as it glows brighter and stronger. Something beyond the control of Rosa and Balder is happening that neither one of them could explain, but they are both curious enough to let fate have its way with them.

© 2016 Karinka20


Author's Note

Karinka20
This is part of a 5 chapter saga.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on April 30, 2016
Last Updated on April 30, 2016
Tags: Bayonetta, Rosa, Balder, Umbra, Witch, Lumen, Sage, Moon, Light, Dark, Romance, Action, Drama, Video Game, Fanfic, Fanfiction

Author

Karinka20
Karinka20

LA, CA



About
I love to write, write, and write some more. I love to write what I love. I want people to enjoy what I write and be entertained. more..

Writing