There's A Moon Out Tonight - Chapter 2 Waning Quarter

There's A Moon Out Tonight - Chapter 2 Waning Quarter

A Story by Karinka20
"

Accompanied by her escort, Rosa, the two of them go on a series of meetings with the leader of the Lumen Sages and inherent of the Right Eye, Father Balder. Enshrouded in mystery, Father Balder took

"
Rosa and Balder. Their friendship grew at an accelerated rate beyond belief, but kept in secrecy. Despite it being pure and innocent they didn't want any attention, but more importantly interference of any kind. No one suspected anything between the two of them. Even in front of Isabelle, they acted as if they haven't met before, keeping the interactions between them professional. Isabelle had her suspicions as Balder suddenly appeared disinterested in Rosa, yet she thought nothing of it. As Rosa would wonder around the hall, Isabelle noticed Rosa had a glow about her. She seemed to have a new zest for life. However, Isabelle left well enough alone as Rosa continues to play her role as an instructor and her escort. Even other sages took notice of Balder’s pleasant demeanor. Yet, none of them would dare approach him or question what had him walking on cloud nine. As long as his leadership wasn't leading them down the path of ruin, the other Fathers and sages couldn't care less.


One day Rosa waits by a waterfall in a secluded area on a bright and sunny day. She places the final touches to her hair and makeup, making sure everything is where it ought to be. Not that she's intentionally trying to attract Balder, but a woman never wants to been seen as having an 'off day'. She finish primping herself with her lipstick in a bullet casing. She runs its devilish red color around her lips perfectly. She sees Balder approaching in the distance and quickly puts it away. She folds her arms pretending as if she has been waiting for him for awhile.
"You're late."
"I am?" he smiles as he clearly has something hidden behind his back. "Then I guess you don't want the reason why I'm late."
Her eyes light up as she eagerly tries to catch a peep behind him, "Depending on what it is, maybe I can find     it in my heart to forgive you."
He chuckles and gives her a medium size box wrapped in silk with a beautiful bow around it. She smiles as she eagerly unwraps the gift. Balder watches in angst as she carefully lifts the lid off the box. Her eyes widen as her jaw drops. Balder looks worried, scared to say anything as he thinks she hates it. Her eyes slowly roll up to look at him.
"No good?" he asks carefully.
She pulls out an elegant, silver mirror with elaborate glass accented vines surrounding the face. It looks like the sun with a few shimmering gold fragments scattered about it's frame. She pulls it close to her chest as she walks over to embrace Balder. He's shocked at her response and is a little unsure as to how to respond to her gesture.
"I love it. I'll treasure it forever."
He slowly raise one arm and wraps it around her. They both take in the moment and lean a little more into each other's warm embrace. Balder takes a deep inhale of her perfume, as she, too, takes in his angelic aroma. Her eyes shoot open as she abruptly thrust herself away from him. Startled by her knee jerk reaction, he is again left unsure of what to do. Her face is beet red as she stares down at the ground at a lost for words. Feeling a little embarrassed himself he steps away from her.
"I..." he stumbles scratching his head nervously. "I don't even know why I got you that. I saw it at some shop in some market district. It     made me think of you."
Rosa looks up at him.
"One of a kind."
Rosa begins to laugh at him. Balder folds his arms and c***s an eyebrow being slightly offended.
"What's so funny?"
"You," she grins. "It's funny to see you so..."
"Sensitive?"
"Unsure."
"It seems like you're making fun of me, witch."
Rosa places the mirror back in the box and puts it away safely.
"Ha! Are you really upset?"
"No," he says rolling his eyes.
Rosa gets in Balder's face. He's suddenly uncomfortable with her being so close to him as she teases.
"Yes you are. You only call me 'witch' when you're upset."
"...I didn't agree to come out here to have you tell me how I feel."
"Then let me help you get some of that aggression out of you!"
Madame Khepri's fist comes flying out and towards Balder. He jumps out of the way just in time gracefully. He gives Rosa the evil eye. She playfully blows a kiss at him. Balder chuckles loudly.
"You looking for a sparring partner?"
"Only if you think you can keep up," she winks.
"Don't worry, witch," he smiles stretching his fingers. "I'll be more than you can handle."
He summons his Holy Glaive, a double bladed staff that can also be split into two. Rosa takes an offensive stance with Unforgiven in both hands posing stylishly. He uses Light Speed and is right on Rosa! He brings down the Glaive, yet Rosa quickly uses Hornet Within and appears behind him delivering a swift kick to his side!
He stumbles a little as Rosa comes again to deliver another kick. He blocks it with his Glaive! She furiously throws several punches at him and he blocks every one of them! She punches faster and faster! Balder is able to keep up with every single one! The sparks fly upon Glaive and Unforgiven's contact. Her eyes are on fire! Her heart is beating so fast it feels like it could burst right through her chest! Balder continues to use defensive moves and teleports around her doing little to no damage . She becomes frustrated as she can't seem to land a hit but is able to keep up with his speed. Rosa uses Madame Khepri's fists again to slow him down. Every punch she throws is accompanied by Madame Khepri's fists as Rosa tips over into her "Serious Mode". Every one of her attacks miss as they tear apart the ground trying to hit him.
Balder slows down for one second and Madame Khepri makes a direct hit! Rosa cheers in victory! However her cheers are silenced as she sees Madame Khepri fist shake as if something is preventing it from moving. She takes a closer look and it's Balder using a single finger stopping her! Balder looks over to Rosa smiling happily as he waves at her with his other hand. Rosa pulls Madame Khepri's fist back. Rosa's slightly out of breath.
"Unimpressive, sage."
"Now, look who's upset," he taunts as he cleans his monocle from any dirt.
"I'm not upset. I'm just getting started."
She charges for him. Balder stands there daring her to give it all she's got.
In the distance three trainee Umbras just happen to be walking by. They stop what they're doing to watch the show between Balder and Rosa.
"Is that Sister Rosa?!"
"Yeah! Wow, look at her go!"
"Wait," one says peering closely. "Who is that she's fighting against?"
They all look harder. They all look shock as they realize it's a sage fighting her!
"Should we go down there?"
They all look at each other not knowing what to do, however, continue to watch.
Balder does Beast Within and turns into a white wolf. Rosa does the same and turns into a tiger as she chases after him. They both dart back and forth at each other doing whatever damage before switching back to their normal form. Rosa uses rapid fire with Unforgiven and Balder uses a defensive barrier to shield himself. He then manifest her bullets into multiple balls of celestial flames and fire them right back at her. She dodges and activate Witch Time, followed by Beast Within again to close the gap between them. Balder uses Light Speed to cancel Rosa's Witch Time, but she charges on. She morphs out of the tiger into a kick.
Balder grabs her leg and flips her. She lands on her feet and sweeps her leg underneath his. Balder falls on his back and Rosa straddles him with Unforgiven aimed at his head. They both pant madly as they gaze at the other. There's a sudden strike of electricity between and they both realize the other felt it too without saying a word. Balder has the sudden urge to pull Rosa close to him. Her eyes beg for him to do it. His finger twitch as he slowly lift his arms to pull her to him.
"That was amazing!"
Balder and Rosa immediately look in the direction of the voice like a deer in headlights and see the trainees running towards them. Rosa hops off him in an instant. Balder heaves from her movement as her knee stabs him in the stomach slightly.
"Girls!" Rosa yells in shock. "What are you doing here?"
"We sometimes come here, too."
"Yeah, we thought you were in trouble but you're okay. You are okay, right?"
Balder gets up from the ground and dusts himself off. He stands slightly embarrassed but takes on the mannerisms of a stern leader.
"Well," he starts. "That was very educational, Sister Rosa."
"Uh, yes."
"I see our clans have much to learn from each other."
He bows to the Umbras and walks away. Rosa's eyes stay glued to him as he leaves her. He stops and turns his head slightly to her.
"Until we meet again."
He disappears in a flash of white light.
"Of course," she whispers.
"Teacher?"
Rosa turns to her trainees who either look concern, confused, or suspicious of what they've just witnessed between Rosa and Balder. Rosa throws her hands on her hips and scolds her trainees.
"Don't you know it's rude to spy on your elders?"
"We weren't trying to spy," they all cry in unison.
"I don't know what you all are thinking, but knock it off," she reprimands. "You better hope I don't give you all twice as much work that I've already been giving you."
"Don't!" they plea. "Have mercy!"
Rosa storms off leaving her trainees trailing behind still pleading for Rosa to have a change of heart. Rosa has no intention of punishing them, on the other hand, she had to make sure they stayed distracted by this punishment before spreading word about her and Balder.

Balder and Rosa continued seeing each other on little outings from festivals to more training sessions. They both genuinely enjoyed one another’s company, and maybe just a little more than they should've. It was becoming more and more obvious between the two of them, but they knew this couldn’t go any further and they trusted the other to stop themselves from going too far.
One beautiful night, Balder and Rosa sit side by side on the edge of a cliff. The moon is full and as bright as the sun. The wind is calm and the air is filled with the wonderful scent of lavender courtesy of Rosa. The two of them stare up at the stars in a comfortable silence. Rosa turns to Balder and just looks at him. Balder senses her staring at him, he only smiles not looking her way.
“Is there’s something on your mind, Rosa?”
“Yes.”
“Okay,” he says as he turns to her. “Out with it.”
“I want to know more about you.”
He laughs, “Like what? My favorite colour? Favorite food?”
“No! Something more... transcendental.”
Balder takes a moment to think. He scratches his head as he tries his damnest to think of something that would be of interest. Rosa eagerly awaits for an answer as she tills her head slightly.
“...Okay,” he starts. “Where do you want me to start?”
“Hmm,” she sings playfully. “How’d you become Lord Sage.”
He chuckles, “You know I’m no Lord!”
“Doesn’t matter!” she giggles. “Just start talking.”
“Well, it all started with my uncle. He was the first and only. Why or how he was chosen can only be answered by the Creator. Much like with the Umbras. I never met my father and my uncle spoke very little about him.”
“Were you ever curious?” she asks.
“Of course as a boy,” he says. “But I soon moved past it and my uncle became more like a father. During my teenage years he taught me everything I know. Among us Sages, he was trusted and adored that they wanted to keep him as their leader for all eternity.”
Balder pauses for a moment. Rosa can tell something's troubling him. She slightly regrets making him talk about his past if it’s going to make him upset. She reaches out her hand and places it on top of his. Balder is comforted by her gesture and continues his story.
“He was supposed to be the leader for all eternity, up until his murder.”
“Oh, my!” she gasps putting her hand to her mouth. “I never knew! I’m so sorry, Balder.”
“It's not like it was recent, and the reasons behind my uncle’s death are irrelevant now,” he says. “I was able to find out who did it and     punished him accordingly. Then I made Fatherhood and it has been that way ever since.”
“Must be lonely,” she says looking away from him. “Having such responsibilities at such a young age. And with no one     who you could really trust.”
“What about you?” he asks not looking at her. “What’s your story?”
She retracts her hand from his and folds them in her lap. He could tell that she was nervous and didn't want to push her into talking if she didn't want to. She grins while staring at the ground not knowing what to say. Balder was able to share something deep and meaningful about his past, so she owed him the same. She takes a deep breath.
“I wish my story had some depth like yours,” she says calmly. “But I am an ordinary woman. I came from a     loving family with a mother and father. I was seduced by a demon and became an Umbra. I’m not from any divine bloodline. Or was ‘chosen’. There’s nothing special about me.”
Balder gently brushes the hair from her face and tucks it behind her ear. He caresses her face and makes her look at him. She gazes deeply into his eyes as she becomes short of breath. His calming, blue eyes puts her heart at ease as she desperately awaits for his next words.
“Rosa, you’re special to me,” he whispers. “I treasure every moment I have with you and I truly value our     friendship. Not even among other sages do I have a friend like you.”
“As do I, Balder.”
She falls into his embrace. He closes his eyes and holds onto her tightly, almost squeezing the life out of her. She doesn’t resist as she allows him to take as many moments as he wants from here. She tightens her grip around his waist and sinks in deeper, with her head underneath his chin her irresistible aroma fills his lungs completely. She looks up at him who clearly is in a trance.
She teases him, “Don’t let yourself be charmed by a sneaky little witch.”
He playfully shoves her away from him. She goes to push him back. Then Balder tackles her to the ground and starts to tickle her relentlessly. She screams from laughter as she tries to get him off of her. Both of their  laughter dominated the silence for the rest of the night. After that one moment of intimacy they knew they could trust the other with their very lives.

Since the day Balder and Rosa were caught sparring it didn't take long for word to get around amongst the Umbras. Rumors started off as a possible war happening, then to Rosa was tricking him into giving her secrets about the Lumen, to lastly the most damaging rumor that kept: Rosa having a love affair with a sage. Her sneaking off, her sudden change in mood like a schoolgirl in love, and some gift that she carries around with her. It was this rumor in particular that finally got Isabelle involve.
Rosa finishes another lesson with her students in an Umbran study hall. As the girls all leave, Isabelle forces her way in. The girls take notice of Isabelle making an unprecedented visit to the study hall, as they talk softly amongst themselves as to why Isabelle's there. Rosa frowns at Isabelle yet continues to clean the classroom. Once all the students have left Isabelle closes the door behind her. Rosa hears the door shut and closes her eyes as she expects the worst.
"Regardless of what is said in these halls I've done nothing."
Isabelle remains silent as she glides over to Rosa. Rosa keeps her eyes to the floor as Isabelle stands before her. She grabs hold of Rosa's chin and makes her look at her. Rosa looks at Isabelle and sees her rage. Isabelle gazes deep into Rosa's eyes in search of something. Rosa's eyes begin to water. Isabelle frowns as she finds the truth within them.
"Rosa," Isabelle starts coldly. "I cannot have you as my escort."
"Okay," she says confused. “But why, Elder Isabelle?”
"Because it is my choice. I no longer need you there.”
Rosa’s a little hurt but doesn’t bother to question Isabelle anymore about the subject. Isabelle c***s an eyebrow and continues on with her reasoning. Rosa listens intensely, not moving a single muscle as Isabelle's grip tightens around her face.
“Frankly, my dear Rosa, I’ve grown tired and enraged by the rumors which surround you. You and a particular sage. I want to make sure you understand me clearly, that I’ve allowed you to entertain this affair long enough. Rid yourself of any feelings, thoughts, curiosity, what have you of any sage," she says low and threatening. "Get rid of it, now."
Rosa nods.
"I need to hear it."
"Yes, Elder Isabelle," Rosa says with her voice cracking and choking back her tears. "They’re gone."
Isabelle violently releases her. She looks at Rosa with disgust as Rosa rubs her face. Isabelle notices the mirror Balder gave her sitting on Rosa desk. She coyly picks it up and examines it.
"I’ve been curious about this new trinket of yours. It’s very pretty. A gift, no?"
Rosa doesn't answer.
"Hmm. I wonder where you got this... or who gave it to you? Well, just as a precaution, let me help you in your healing process."
Isabelle shatters the mirror in one crush within her hands. Rosa's eyes widen as she tries not to show any emotion over Balder's gift. Seeing the shards of broken glass hit the floor is the closest thing she could do to crying. Isabelle seems relatively proud of herself, believing she has snapped Rosa out of the sage's spell.
"Rosa, let this be the last time I have to approach you on the matter. He is not worth breaking our most sacred commandment."
Isabelle leaves slamming the door behind her. Rosa's lost in thought as she falls to her knees and gather whatever is left of the mirror.

The next meeting Balder waits patiently with his fist supporting his head. He looks at his watch and realizes Isabelle is going to be late again. When the doors open he see Isabelle, but no Rosa as she has been replaced with another witch. Balder cuts his eye at them both confused as to what's going on. Isabelle is in an oddly pleasant mood as she takes her seat. She makes herself comfortable, yet takes notice of Balder's questionable face.
"What's wrong, sage," Isabelle taunts. "Were you expecting to see a familiar face, besides me?"
"There is no problem, witch," he snarls. "Besides being late again. Let's get on with this."
Isabelle gloats, "As you wish. Just making sure you're alright."
As soon as the meeting is over Balder jumps up and rushes off.
“In a rush are we?” she questions.
“I am not one of your Umbra witches!” he mutters. “So, keep your inquires to your own.”
“I am, that’s why I asked,” with her voice deepening, referring to Rosa.
Balder continues walking while ignoring her comment. Isabelle stares daggers into the back of Balder as he walks away from her. The gears in her mind start to work as she believes Balder is definitely the one who's keeping Rosa's company. She trusts in her ability to control Rosa and knows Rosa will end her relationship with him. She stands slowly and is suddenly worried over a thought. What if Rosa doesn't stop? What if Balder ignores his position as a Lumen Sage? What would she do if the two of them didn't stop? Her escort can tell Isabelle is distracted and attempts to comfort her. Isabelle smacks her escort's hand away from her and storms off. She knows she can't do anything without any concrete proof, when all she has are suspicions and accusations. The escort stays on Isabelle's heels as they leave.
Balder hangs around a fountain, a spot he’s hoping to bump into Rosa. He paces back and forth as he frequently checks his watch. He’s almost certain Rosa should be passing by any moment. As he anticipated, he spots Rosa walking by with a few books.
“Rosa!”
She’s startled by his appearance. She looks scared and fearful of someone seeing them together as her eyes dart around.
“Balder?!” she questions is a low voice. “What are you doing here?”
“I had to see you.”
“Now? And here?”
“Where else am I supposed to find you on such short notice?”
She sighs heavily as she grabs him by the wrist and drags him to a tiny alley away from prying eyes.
“What is it, Balder?”
“You weren’t with Isabelle today.”
“I know,” she says annoyed.
“Why?”
“It doesn’t matter. Look, I’ve got to go.”
She tries to walk off but he tightly grabs her by the arm.
“What’s wrong,” he asks. “Are you bothered by me?”
“Honestly, Balder… yes.”
Shocked by her answer he releases her arm. He is very confused by her sudden change in attitude towards him and becomes a little hostile towards her. His voice deepens in a more serious tone. Rosa, too, is ready for a confrontation with Balder.
“What do you mean?”
“I can no longer see you,” she starts, looking at him square in the eye. “You and I are a Lumen and Umbra. We are becoming too close and I am ending it. Being spotted with you would make me a traitor to my sisters.”
"We're becoming too close? Where is this coming from?"
"Why does that matter?"
"Because you didn't have a problem with it before."
"Well, I do now!" she snaps stomping her foot. "And so should you! What would your fellow sages think about this?"
"As long as I continue doing my part in leading, they couldn't care about what I do and who I do it with."
"That doesn't apply to me. I don't have that type of freedom."
Balder stands back as his mouth tightens in anger. He's trying his best not to say anything that could come back to haunt him, yet he can't get over the strong sense of betrayal from Rosa.
"Is... this coming from that 'Elder' of yours?" he snarls mustering the most hateful face when thinking about her.
"She reminded me that a bond should never be crafted with one of the Light and Dark; it would bring a great calamity to not only our clans, but to the world. You know this, do you not, Balder?"
He sighs deeply acknowledging this truth, "I do."
"Does that not mean anything to you? Could you be that selfish?"
“...Then it seems like I don’t have any say in the matter then. Right?”
“Neither one of us does.”
There’s an awkward silence between them. His harsh demeanor softens as he sees the sorrow in Rosa’s eyes. He knows this is not what she wants, but her hand is being played for her. Despite her stern disposition, she's comforted in knowing Balder understands. They both know they cannot be friends. They both know there’s something more going on between them but must never admit it. Balder just nods in agreement, not because he’s not willing to fight, but because he knows this is for the best.
“Okay,” he says softly. “As you wish.”
Balder gazes at Rosa one last time. Her eyes begin to water as Balder leaves.
“It pains me to know that this would be the last emotion I would give you.”
"...And what would that be?"
"Sorrow," he says remorsefully. "My intentions were to never cause you any pain or turmoil. I only wanted to give you happiness. Have I at least done that?"
Rosa doesn't answer.
Balder nods again accepting her answer. He disappears in a flash of white light. Rosa steps forward as a final attempt to reach to him but misses. She looks up to the sky as she see the golden shimmers that were Balder float away. She collects herself and shakes off any emotion she has left of him. She steps out of the alley and makes her way back home.

© 2016 Karinka20


Author's Note

Karinka20
Chapter 2 out of 5.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great story telling skills. I’m sad that you haven’t posted the final 3 chapters since 2016. I fondly enjoyed chapters 1 and 2. Well, if you ever come back to WC please message me. I look forward to completing the last 3 chapters.

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 30, 2016
Last Updated on April 30, 2016
Tags: Bayonetta, Rosa, Balder, Umbra, Witch, Lumen, Sage, Moon, Light, Dark, Romance, Action, Drama, Video Game, Fanfic, Fanfiction

Author

Karinka20
Karinka20

LA, CA



About
I love to write, write, and write some more. I love to write what I love. I want people to enjoy what I write and be entertained. more..

Writing