Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Kat

Life was good; everything was going how I planned it. I was going to go to university… but then the incident happened. The world ended and boy, let me tell you--it sucked. For starters, my really hot neighbor Jason Greene, a huge football star at school, and secret nerd, tried to eat me. He tried to eat me. I mean I wouldn’t have minded if he was, you know, alive. (See what I did there XD) My mom and dad had died too, I never really got to talk to them I mean I didn’t even know their names since they worked all the time. Okay, I’m lying, I did know their names but I mean you get it right? I didn’t really care that they were gone because they wouldn’t have cared if I was gone, they wouldn’t have really noticed.

My best friend Zoey and I are alive because Zoey is a total badass and helped me. I would have died if she hadn't stayed the night the same day some homeless guy ran up to some random person and ate them.

“Hey B I found something,” Zoey yelled at me from the other side of my now dead neighbor’s house.

“What is it?” I asked, walking toward the direction I had heard her voice.

When I got to the kitchen where Zoey was I looked around, taking in everything, admiring where my dead crush ate all three of his meals.

“I’m here,” I said, causing Zoey to jump.

“Damn it, B, don’t sneak up on me like that.”

“I yelled before coming in here.” I said it with a blank look in my eyes.

“Yeah, well how do I know if you’re dead or not?” Zoey said back a little aggravated.

“I’m talking and not trying to eat you.” Just as Zoey was about to speak there was a thud from upstairs.  “Well let’s go check it out.”

I grabbed one of the large blades from the drawer and headed toward the stairs with Zoey following behind. I decided that I was too much of a wimp to take the lead while we were walking up the stairs, and so Zoey ended up in front of me with the knife. When we reached the top of the stairs we walked toward the side room where you could hear more noise. Zoey Walked to the side of the door getting the knife ready with her right hand and slowly opened the door.

Zoey pushed the door open as slowly as possible not to disturb whatever was inside. I scouted the room hoping to find that it was a dog or something; but when I looked through the door it was the most grotesque thing I have ever seen. It was Jason's dad Stark naked eating his wife, who might I add was also was indecent at the moment.

“Some date night huh.” Zoey said looking back at me. I couldn’t help but chuckle a little at that. Zoey made her way in the room noiselessly not to provoke the ‘happy couple’. When she got in the room she moved closer to the now zombified Mr. Greene and stabbed him in the back of the head then poor half eaten Mrs. Greene to keep her you know, coming back to life and eating us.

“Let's start looking through the room and see if we can find anything we can use.” I said moving in the room.

“Well you can I'm going to go scrub my eyes with bleach.” Zoey said running out of the room to I guess well ‘bleach’ her eyes. I laughed as she left the room. I was use to seeing naked people I mean I grew up with a s**t of a brother who use to bring a different girl home every night. My brother’s name was Nick Young, He died in a Plane crash on his way coming home from college 3 years ago. I guess that was the time when mom and dad started to work late and not come home and take long vacations to where I would only see them once or twice every few months.

I look around the room and to see if there was anything the could be useful to survive the apocalypse I guess people would call it. I ended up grabbing water bottles that were stored in the closet along with a gun that was left in an conveniently opened safe next to the blood covered bed. I looked threw a few of the other rooms not finding anything else very useful. I started down the stairs when I heard Zoey yell for me in a panic.

“Oh my god B come here hurry!” She yelled. I ran down stairs falling in the process. When I got to the bottom I heard Zoey laughing at me. I looked up through my hair which was now all over the place looking at Zoey with a scowl.

“I thought you were being eaten you hoe!” I said getting up off the floor.

“Oh hush you really think after being in ROTC since middle school and having a military dad might I add, that would go down that easily.” Zoey said rolling her eyes.

“Yes, yes I do.” I said being half serious. Zoey rolled her eyes again.

“Well I can see how much you think of me.” She said. “Look.” She said pointing to something on the coffee table.

“What?” I said dumbfounded. Zoey grabbed my arm dragging me over to the table pointing at the yearbook at the table. “Okay what about it.” I said

“Ughhh look B it’s Jason’s yearbook now turn to page 24.” I opened the book and flipped over to page 24 and saw that I was my class. When I looked over at my picture I saw a heart drawn around it. I started feeling all these emotions, but the number one was regret. Me and Jason hung out. We didn’t really hang out or talk during school seeing how I was the biggest loser, but we did after school and over summer. I didn’t care that we didn’t talk at school I mean he still nodded his head at me aconaliging my extance.

Jason and Zoey were my only friends. I suspected he liked me and so did Zoey even though she hated him. She said he was too much of a coward since he didn’t talk to me at school but she knew how much he made me happy. “I.” Was all I managed before I fell to the floor and started crying, and I didn’t stop crying Zoey sat next to me on the floor hugging me trying to comfort me but the tears kept coming I couldn’t stop.


After me and Zoey picked up what we could salvage from the house we headed down the empty and lifeless road. “Hey Brook?” Zoey asked. I was a little worried about what the question was going to be she never usually calls me by my name.

“Yeah?” I said back.

“Do you think things will ever be the same?” Zoey asked as I pick locked the door of the car. I paused for a minute thinking hard about everything that’s happened so far.

“I don’t think so, I wanna say it will and that everything is going to be okay that’s all I’ve been telling myself these past few days but,” I stop turning my head to look at Zoey. “But I don’t even believe myself anymore.” I finish getting the door unlocked and jumped in the driver's seat now hot wiring the would be stolen vehicle. We drive around until we got to the local Walmart. We jumped out of the car and walked toward the Intriguing mass of bricks.

“God I love Walmart.” I hear Zoey whisper behind me. I took a crowbar I found in the back of the SUV and broke the front door of the walmart.

“You go ahead and look for weapons I’m going to get some canned food for us to take.” I said to Zoey.

“Okay then here take this,” Zoey said pausing and turning into her bag to grab the knife we previously used to kill Mr. & Mrs. Greene. “Wouldn’t want you to die this early in the game.” Zoey said tossing me the knife.

“No it’s fine I have the gun from the safe.” I said flashing her a smile and showing of the gun.

“Well take it anyways what are you going to do if you run out of bullets.” Zoey said walking away to go get other variations of weapons to kill the now living dead. I walked over to the food area of the store with a cart and started putting different canned foods in it. As I was walking I heard a moaning of sorts. I turned to look down the the other end of the hall way. The lights were flickering and it was hard to see.

I moved closer to the noise to see what it was, and when I got closer all of a sudden I felt a push and the next thing I know I’m on the ground feeling pressure all over my body when I look up I see a half-eaten man laying on my clawing at my face. “Zoey!” I screamed before remembering the gun I had placed in the back of my pants. I pulled the gun out and squeezed the trigger.

“B are you alright?!” Zoey yelled running my way. I pushed the dead cannibal off me as Zoey helped me up to my feet.

“Thanks.” I said getting up. “And yea I’m alright.” I looked around my body to make sure there were no scratches or bites on me. When I was sure there were no indications I was going to die and come back I resumed to look for canned good. Just as I was about to grab a can of fruit cocktail off the shelf I heard a big crash.

“B!” I heard Zoey yell. I ran toward to where she was to see her standing over a guy and by the looks of it he wasn’t dead. Well zombie dead anyways. I moved over standing next to Zoey.

“What the f**k!” The guy yelled holding on to his cut open arm.

“Sorry I thought you were one of them.” Zoey said throwing the knife she had just used on the ground. I grabbed the guy’s left arm as he held his right one to his chest. I pulled out a bandana I had in my pocket and slowly wrapped it around his arm.

“I guess it’s a good thing I took those first aid classes.” I said smiling back at Zoey. All of a sudden the guy ripped his arm out of my hands and hugged it back to his chest.

“Who are you two?” The guy said rushing to his feet.

“Well the girl over here who almost Amputated your arm.” I paused looking over at Zoey who gave a weak smile wit a small wave. “That’s Zoey, and I’m Brook, but most people just call me B.” I said extending my hand out to complete the whole process a normal person would do to greet someone new.

“Jake.” He said extending his hand as well. After we did our little awkward talk of introduction, I walked over to Zoey.

“So ready to get some more supplies.” I said

“Umm sure but,” Zoey trailed off.

“What is it?” I asked

“Do you think that we should let him join us?” Zoey asked pointing toward Jake.

“Well how do we know that he’s not gonna kill us in our sleep and eat us because he’s apart of some group that decided to eat people.” I stated.

“Umm you know I’m right here.” Jake said “And I’m not going to eat you.” I rolled my eyes and walked back to the food and got some stuff. When I was finally finished I walked back out to the SUV and waited for Zoey.

In the end Jake ended up tagging along with Zoey and I. Zoey was able to Break the protection stuff on the guns and axe and so on so we could use them. As we were driving I think I saw over 50 dead people walking around; a few were even eating their latest catch of the day. We drove around for awhile looking inside buildings and almost dieing. When we were 86% sure that none of our friends or family were alive we continued on to look for shelter we could reinforce or something so we could I don’t know live long and prosper.

“So where are we gonna go?” I hear Jake ask.

“I don’t know, probably just look around for supplies like guns and stuff along the way to find somewhere to live.” I said back with a shrug.

“You know I’ve been wondering something.” Jake said looking back between me and Zoey.

“What.” I said glancing back at him through the rearview mirror.

“You don’t seem even slightly affected by what’s happening here. Why is that?” Jake said. Zoey looked at me with the same curious face a 4 year old gets when she/he sees something new for the first time.

“I don’t know I guess I just have always liked horror and so I watched a lot of Zombie movies.” That was a lie I wasn’t as calm and collected as I seemed. I mean yea I wasn’t lying I do like horror, but knowing that the zombies in my game were real and could kill me and I wouldn’t be able to just hit replay or try again. It scared me.

“To be honest,” Jake said “I’m terrorfied.”

“Me too.” Zoey said looking out the window at the red ground that seemed to be glowing with how the sunset looked.

“I think we should find somewhere semi safe to sleep at tonight it’s getting late” I said pulling into a old hotel. I looked around the parking lot seeing if there were any dead people that need to die again. I crouched down next to the SUV car thing and looked around me with a blade in my grasp. I made my way towards the hotel following behind Zoey with Jake following behind me. We made it to the variety of doors. Me and Jake sat in the bed of the truck that had been parked there for what it looked like a long time since the under part on the concrete looked much newer than the rest.

I looked around at the area waiting for Zoey to come back and tell Jake and I It’s safe. While I was looking around I noticed broken glass and fresh blood across the pavement. “I think maybe some people came here hoping to keep shelter and broke the glass and replaced it with wood, they probably didn’t check the inside before they went in.” I said before turning my head to look at Jake.

“Well I think Zoey’s been in there for too long.” Jake said pointing toward the door Zoey chose to go in.

“Maybe we should go in and look for her.” I said slowly moving out of the truck bed and heading towards the hotel doors. As I moved more towards the hotel as Jake followed behind.



© 2017 Kat


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on February 23, 2017
Last Updated on February 23, 2017


Author

Kat
Kat

Indianapolis , IN



About
I love writing, I hope to someday make it a career things I write about include teen fiction more..

Writing