Track Two- Grafitti

Track Two- Grafitti

A Chapter by Kate Baedecker

The commons are crowded with high schoolers. All kinds of kids are packed into the space anxiously finishing homework, snatching granola bars or chatting sleepily with friends. Johnny is hard at work scratching his name into the table with a worryingly sharp pen as Gloria watches intently.


“So, did you come up with a name yet?” She asks, drumming her fingers on the table. I look up lazily and hold my chin in my palm.


“Uh, for the band?”


“Yeah, for the band. My dad thinks you should call it Christian’s Inferno.”


Johnny cracks a smile and points his pen at Gloria. “Like the Green Day song?”


Gloria nods and Johnny returns his full focus to the table-grafitti.


“It sounds cool” I start, glancing over at Johnny. “It doesn’t quite fit us though.”

“Maybe we could name it Johnny and Christian’s totally amazing band.”


“Right.”


Gloria leans forward, taking a peek at Johnny’s table carving skills.


“Did you figure out a vocalist? Mia could probably do it.”


“Seriously?” I ask, raising an eyebrow.


“What? I like Mia.” I snort.


“Of course you do, you haven’t been sharing a house with her for sixteen years.”


Mia is one of the last people I’d ask to join the band, and not just because she’s been slowly degrading my sanity since she was in diapers. It’s weird to put siblings in a band together. Even if it doesn’t come off as the cheesiest thing ever (which it definitely will) there’s about a hundred and ten percent chance your band is toast before the first album is out. Never underestimate the power of petty sibling rivalry.


“Don’t you think it’s kind of important to get a vocalist?” Gloria asks, looking down at her hands, making nervous knots with her fingers.


I look to Johnny for help, but he is now completely engrossed in his art.


“Sure, I guess. But it’s not like I can do it.”


One thing I’ve never been very good at is singing, which can really suck when I get these song ideas and only a mediocre instrument to bring them to life. I had thought about hiring a vocalist, but neither me or Johnny had the funds for something like that.


“I mean, it’s not like we even have a band name yet, we don’t need a singer.” I say, trying to distract myself with my phone.


Gloria picks her head up and stares at me while I do my best to avoid her vulture gaze.

“I know, but don’t you want to have a name eventually? Or to actually play shows or get a record deal or something? You can’t do that with two dudes on bass and drums.” She says matter-of-factly.


Johnny finally decides to perk up to wave his pen around in her face.


“Gloria, never ever doubt the awesome power of Johnny Patil. And of course Christian, my loser sidekick.” He leans in and puts a hand to his mouth in a mock-whisper.


“Don’t tell him, but once we get rich and famous I’m going solo.”

Gloria giggles and I shove Johnny’s face back as the morning bell rings. The commons completely empties while kids rush to lockers and classrooms. We stuff our things into backpacks and head out. Before parting ways Gloria shouts,

“Seriously, think about it!”

I wave her off and take my usual route to Johnny’s locker. He pops the lock and swings the door open to reveal what’s most likely the messiest space in the whole school. He has torn up paper folders squished together, binders piled on top of each other, at least three empty coffee cups and a ton of other gross stuff I didn’t have time to observe closely.


“You know, she’s probably right.” Johnny points out, stuffing his backpack into the already cramped space.


“About getting a name?” I ask, really hoping my avoidance tactics work. Johnny gives me a knowing look and shakes his head.


“Christian, come on. I mean a singer. You know we need one.”


I tighten my grip on the straps of my bag and sigh. He’s not wrong. He and Gloria have been dropping hints about getting a singer for months. I knew we needed one but something about the idea made me feel all squirmy, like a little kid itching to get out of the supermarket and go home. Maybe it was the fact that Gloria kept asking to let Mia join, or that Johnny thought I could do the vocals. I know I don’t have the voice to carry our music, or even a fraction of the courage required to do it in front of anyone. The shower is the only venue I play regularly.


“Maybe we should wait a little longer before we do that.” I say, leaning against the cool locker door.


Johnny shakes his head.


“You said that a month ago. I mean come on, how long are we gonna ‘wait’ to turn this into a real band?” He slams the door and starts heading down the hall. He’s definitely speed-walking on purpose, but I catch up with him.


“You don’t think we’re a real band?” I ask, doing my best to keep up with Johnny in the chaotic sea of students. He huffs and takes a sharp turn into the next hallway.


“We’re not. We’re just two guys playing Blink 182 covers in a basement because you’re too self-conscious to let someone look at your lyrics.”


I bite my tongue. Was that it? Was I just overprotective of my songs? It made sense enough. I’d never liked sharing my writing with people, not even Johnny.  That stuff just felt really personal, like if anyone read them they’d be able to read me, if that makes sense. Maybe I am just being self-conscious, and it’s not really fair to Johnny.


I shrug my shoulders and sigh loudly.


“Okay, we can look into it.” I say, realizing that Johnny and Gloria have finally worn me out.


Johnny raises an eyebrow at me, but I can see his lips curl into a grin.


“Great. Come over after school and we’ll figure it out.”


Before I have a chance to back out, he’s already disappeared into a classroom. I can’t help but mentally kick myself as the bell rings.


© 2017 Kate Baedecker


Author's Note

Kate Baedecker
Feel free to let know anything you liked/disliked about the piece. Concrit is very appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on April 13, 2017
Last Updated on April 13, 2017
Tags: YA Fiction, Teen, Music


Author

Kate Baedecker
Kate Baedecker

About
Writer, film and theatre lover, First Stage student more..

Writing