Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Katie de Lavani
"

"My stomach suddenly plummeted. Apparently he didn’t know everything."

"

“Alright,” 57 began as he was pulling the curtain across the shower and checking the silenced pistol. “We’re going to need to move fast. This was probably one of the only patrols on duty right now, but they’ll be wondering how you got lost a couple doors down. There is a secondary exit in case any troops managed to infiltrate this base. I don’t know of any alarm it might set off, but it sure won’t be as guarded as the front entrance. We will run into resistance if any of you two are seen so uh…”


“Yea, gotchya,” I told him as I began unclasping my new shoes. They were probably very expensive but their resounding clicks and clacks would eventually betray me. I glanced over at Q holding half a sleeping bag. “Is there anything in this cabinet that would be used to hold our supplies? Some kind of backpack maybe?”


“There might be…” 57took out his ring of keys and fumbled to find a small copper one.


As he began rummaging through the bottles and towels, I became suddenly curious. “They sure put a lot of trust into you. Keys and codes to the doors, you know where the concealed exit is-“


“But I don’t have a gun,” he laughed, lifting up a stack of green towels to reveal a few plastic backpacks. “Ah, here.” He pulled out the two bags and handed them to me. They looked exactly like those bags companies give out for free except there was no logo, just black.


I motioned for Q to hand the sleeping bag over and started to pack. “But still, you’d think they’d have some doubt about your loyalty.”


“We’re the Traitors, the lowest of the low, the pond scum that everyone wants to eradicate. If any of us try to back out, there’s both sides closing in on us, the murderous Traitors and the backstabbing Crew. Not many places to hide; even if you somehow get out of the county.”


I paused. “But you know saving me will eliminate your chance to kill K88,” I told him as I pulled the strings on the bag closed. “Isn’t he the biggest threat to the organization?”


“There’ll be another way to kill him some other time,” he waved off.


“K88 isn’t just a threat to the organization,” stood and told him in a stern voice. “He is the organization; giving orders behind the mask of the dead Origin.” I caught a hot glance from Q, a warning perhaps not to talk about it further.


57 stopped with his hand on the door to the cabinet. “Dead Origin?” he repeated slowly.


My stomach suddenly plummeted. Apparently he didn’t know everything. I checked over at Quijano who still seemed to be warning me off. Well, the truth was out, might as well explain. “57, K88 murdered the Origin. Quietly so no one else would know. Since then, he’s been playing two parts, the rising Lesser and the mysterious Origin that no one except body guards have ever seen.”


“Well,” he cleared his throat and looked up at the ceiling, “all the more reason to kill him. But later, on our own terms where the innocent are out of the way.” His voice abruptly became soft and low. “I’m done killing the innocent and watching them die…. It’s always disgusted me. But until now,” he glanced at me, “I haven’t had a reason to leave and become the target myself.”


The poinks of a leaking faucet was the only sound in the room as an uneasy silence swept past. I stood up, swung the pack onto my shoulder, picked up my shoes, and headed to the door where Q was standing. “We should get going,” I told them. “Put the sleeping bag in the cabinet and close it up.”


When that was finished, I stepped aside and allowed 57 to walk out first. The hallway was empty, but as soon as a foot was set out of the doorway, three men turned the corner, coming our direction.

                               *****


I froze completely and my heart leapt for cover once I spotted them. We’ve failed! My terror seized up all control of my limbs and defeat overwhelmed me.


Wait no, my fleeting mind skidded to a stop. I can get out of this… Giving up is too easy for them. I somehow managed to maintain my composure next to the bewildered 57.


“Jenny,” Boss identified coldly as soon as he spotted me. I didn’t recognize either of the two men looming behind him. “Hazard, explain what’s going on here,” he demanded. I assumed the name was 57’s.


“Sir…” he struggled for an answer.


“You!” I barked at Boss. “Can’t you teach your men some manners?” I head the soft clink as the shower door closed behind me. Q’s still in there…This one,” I gestured at 57, “just sliced off half my sleeping bag! Now how in the name am I supposed to sleep!”


Boss narrowed his eyes at 57, “This true?”


57 caught on at the last second, closed his gaping mouth and started laughing, “Yea. The boys ‘n I were having some fun.”


“What’s in the bag?” a deep voice from one of the goons interjected before Boss could answer.


“My water and rations,” I turned up my nose. “Maybe if I keep these with me your men won’t steal them.” I moved to cover the bag as if to protect it.


He shot another question at me, “Why are you carrying your shoes?” I know that voice….


“Aha! That’s who you are! My welcoming party!” I plastered a huge grin on my face. “Man, those five hours in an interrogation room were fun and everything, but I think I’m going to have to pass on a second round. I believe I had an appointment with your Boss,” I patted him sportingly on the shoulder, “with whom I have some very important matters to discuss.” Boss’s face cringed as I touched him. “But, to answer your question, these shoes are too big. Going to get me some new ones or are you going to start asking me some more ridiculous questions?”


No one spoke. “D man,” I broke in, “I believe you wanted to talk to me? I don’t believe I have any prior engagements scheduled... I’d be happy to come along if you would be so kind as to arrange for something that I could sleep in tonight.”


“Yes, of course. We’ll go to my office and talk.” He guided me forward down the hall while tilting back to whisper in Frankenstein’s ear. I caught only a few words, “Take… question him… something’s going…”


I proceeded warily down the uninviting hall, towards the office. Boss promptly overcame me with a few steps then fell uncomfortably close behind, maintaining the same stride. I cleared my throat, halted, and turned to allow him to pass. As he did, I took the time to glance back at 57. Frankenstein was leading him to a door not far from the shower rom. Interrogation room? Perhaps it’s too risky to ask that he not be harmed…


When we were settled in the office, I on the couch and Boss on the opposing chair, I lit the conversation, “So… you have some questions?”


There was no smile or glint of surprise from my upbeat tone this time; Boss’s face remained stone set. “Jenny, you didn’t answer the questions put to you when you first arrived here. So,” he mimicked how I began, “I’m giving you the chance to tell me here and now what you know instead of having to go through that ordeal once again.”


I sighed as if I was bored out of my mind, “Fine. Interrogation room seems like its being used by 57 and Frankenstein right now anyways.” I clasped my hands together while watching Boss narrow his eyes at my guess. “Fire away, Sir.”


He stalked over to his desk and lifted up a file. “We know how you came into correspondence with certain members of the Crew, but we don’t know with whom exactly or what they told you.”


“You haven’t asked Quijano?”


“Jennifer,” he growled, lowering his papers, “I don’t think you understand what’s going on here. I ask the questions, you answer them. Now, what was the first thing you learned?”


I sat forward and glared at him, “I don’t think I understand why I’m answering these questions. What do you have to gain or lose if I know a few things? What do you mean when you said my ‘talent’? What am I to you?”


“None of that is relevant!” He shot out. “You are NOT in charge here! You answer to me, 88, and all others in this facility. Do you hear me?!”


I felt oddly defeated. My false air of defiance was temporarily extinguished. These men were in charge here. Why did I ever think I was above them? Because I had morals? A sense of right and wrong? And to think I was just an inch away from escape… “Yes Sir, I read you.” I was no longer locking eyes with him. “I guess the first real bite of information I discovered was that the Crew was a worldwide organization. I never heard the exact locations, or even where my contact was stationed. And although Quijano was the first from the Crew I talked to, it was Pyro that gave me the initial information. It was quite the download, basically handing over the base idea of the Crew. He told me of the system of hierarchy, what the organization’s purpose was, and Q’s true nature. Most everything I learned after that was just an addition. Hah, quite a few additions…Sir.” There was so much more that wanted to burst out, maybe he’d have an answer to what I knew, but it also may bring more harm to others. I kept my mouth sealed.


“Was there a person or persons with whom you shared this information?” he read off a paper, pen in hand.


“Is this what it’s all about, then?” I inquired hastily, unable to contain myself.  “I see… Identify the others you need to erase  so that this matter, this breach in security will come to a close? I heard the Origin ‘took care’ of the others that caught a bit of info. Taking up his job are we? Wonderful….”


“Jenni-“ Boss raised his voice.


“What’s in it for me?” I asked, checking my nails. “Don’t suppose I’ll have a life again. Separate with a nice load of compensation cash while I go live with my uncle? What is it?” I played the heartless survivor once again.


Boss was dumbfounded. The tables were constantly turning against him; I wasn’t surprised he was unprepared. Nevertheless, he set his papers down and began in a civilized tone. “That is not why you are here, Jennifer. The information is for our database, that is, for the Traitors knowledge. After it has been collected and filed, there will be a certain task you must perform and once it has been completed, you may go.”


“Task,” I repeated loftily. “I guess you won’t tell me what this ‘task’ is?” Though I knew full well what he had in store for me.


“No,” he replied curtly.


I let out a sigh of disappointment to satisfy him. “Next question?”


“Let me iterate, if you answer wholly and truthfully, we don’t have to have any unnecessary… complications.” Any unnecessary injuries he meant. Yea, I caught the drift. “Let me ask again, was there anyone with whom you shared this information or indicated that you knew something of outside importance to any other?” I paused and my thoughts wandered to my best friend, Ashley, who was my channel for stress during the time. “I know it is difficult,” he continued, “to hold something like this in. You must have had told someone.”


I allowed the air in my lungs to depart and a new batch to enter. “Yes, there was one person. I talked to her all of the time about it. Sophie, Sophie Richards. Sound familiar? Yea. My sister. No need to write a name on you “To Kill” list now. She was the only one I could trust with this,” I lied. No one else is going to die if I can help it.


Maybe I wasn’t convincing enough. Maybe he had a report of my confidence in another, but he definitely wasn’t satisfied. “What about your best friend, Miss… Ashley Jennings?” I struggled to contain my pang of horror as I heard her name. “Ever talk to her about this?”


“Ashley?” I gasped. “She-“ There was a thunderous knock on the door. I snapped my head in terror at the sound. Seconds later, Frankenstein entered, a bruised and battered 57 in tow. At first it looked as if it was his face that took most of the beatings, blood running down from his nose and open cracks on his lips. But under further scrutiny, I could distinguish numerous bruise spots and awkward bends in his arms and legs. My brows furrowed in despair. Boss calmly walked over, delight hanging on his face.


“Boss,” rumbled the interrogator, “he was found with a hidden pistol and reports having attempted to send signal to K88 the arrival of a certain Miss Richards.”


My face contorted in abhorrence at the idea of such betrayal. Is this true? Was this what it was all along, a loyalty to K88? Lure me into his trap and stick me into another?  I didn’t know whether to call for his death of plead his innocence. His swelling eyes wouldn’t lift to any inhabitants of the room. It could also just be the cover story to hide that we were trying to escape….


Boss studied my face to weigh my reaction, but all he received was my genuine confusion and speechlessness. “Jennifer, did you know anything about this?” he queried. I was still grossly conflicted. My answer could mean his life or death. It could have easily been his plan all along. Bring the love blind girl to his master; hold two hostages to lure in Q, heck maybe even bring Q to K88 in the process. But if this really is just the cover story… Was there anything I could do anyways?


“No,” I replied firmly. “If I knew that someone was going to contact the man that tried to kill me, don’t you think I’d report him?” A scabbed and chomping brick of lead smuggled itself into my chest.


Boss and 88 exchanged hardened glances. “Kill him,” Boss nodded, a finalized decision.


“What!” I screeched, finding myself instantly between the two and 57, disbelief and my rapid heartbeat rubbing my face.


A tsunami of emotion tore savagely through me, shredding, peeling, melting, and bending reality, leaving only feathered scraps drifting forlornly towards the earth. I felt sheer rage for what he claimed to have done. Puncturing pikes of guilt for having gotten him into the mess. Raining shards of triumph for having caught the snake before it was too late. Poisonous and toxic hatred for making me decide. Fierce drums of love tripping movement. But most of all, the great churning wheels of anger at him for not looking me in the eye and telling me the truth. If he wanted me to live, he would have created this lie. If he really was working for that sick man, Frankenstein would have surely been the one to discover it. Look at his state! To let him live and leave these gates of chaos and distrust, breathing hot, sewer breath onto my back. Speaking up for his innocence could lead to both his and my death. Or to let him die, to kill the only friendly face in this world of suffocation, to save my life, to rid myself of that encumbering question of loyalty. Oh, how the irony of my prior question of his allegiance kicked me true in the face.


I snapped to 57. “Is this true!?” When he didn’t answer, I slapped him hard, targeting the largest bruise on his face. “Tell me!” His eyes shifted laboriously up to mine. All I read in those oceans was a surging sorrow, not a nod or shake of the head to answer. This has to be done. I clenched my fists in resolve and lifted my head up to the Traitors.



© 2011 Katie de Lavani


Author's Note

Katie de Lavani
Short but packed. I want to hear your thoughts on Jenny's character. Does she shift too much? Next chapter will be up soon!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
Added on April 29, 2011
Last Updated on April 29, 2011


Author

Katie de Lavani
Katie de Lavani

CA



About
Hi. Nothing much to say about me. I'm always looking for a good story in my life and sometimes base the stories I write on real life experiences. I love to read others writing to see just how horrible.. more..

Writing
The Catch The Catch

A Chapter by Katie de Lavani