Salem- A Short Poem For The Women Who Knew Medicine During The Salem Witch Trials

Salem- A Short Poem For The Women Who Knew Medicine During The Salem Witch Trials

A Poem by Kayla Gentry ( Kyrie Kerr)
"

A short Poem I created for the women accused of witchcraft just because they were particularly good healers, one person in particular comes to mind right away, Rebbecca Nurse. Read below info for her.

"
Rebecca Nurse Information:

"Rebecca Nurse Before the Salem Witch Trials

 Rebecca married Francis Nurse in 1644 who was also from Yarmouth, England. They had four sons and four daughters, all but one of them married in 1692. In 1692, Rebecca and Francis Nurse lived in Salem Village on a large farm. She was known for her piety, and was a member of Salem church. She was also known for occasionally losing her temper. Francis Nurse and the Putnam family had fought in court several times over land. Francis had once served as Salem constable.


Rebecca Nurse and the Salem Witch Trials

 The public accusations of witchcraft in Salem Village began on February 29, 1692. The first accusations were leveled against three women who were not considered very respectable: the Indian slave Tituba, a homeless mother Sarah Good, and Sarah Osborne who had a somewhat scandalous history.

 Then on March 12, Martha Corey was accused, and on March 19, Rebecca Nurse found herself accused, despite both being church members and respected community members.

A warrant was issued on March 23 by John Hathorne and Jonathan Corwin for the arrest of Rebecca Nurse. In the warrant were complaints of attacks on Ann Putnam Sr., Ann Putnam Jr., Abigail Williams and others.

Rebecca Nurse was arrested and examined the next day. She was accused by Mary Walcott, Mercy Lewis and Elizabeth Hubbard as well as by Ann Putnam Sr., who "cried out" during the proceedings to accuse Nurse of trying to get her to "tempt God and dye." When she held her head to one side, those claiming afflictions moved their heads to the side as well "set in that posture." Rebecca Nurse was then indicted for witchcraft."


For more Information on Rebecca Nurse visit this website where I found the Information for you stated above:

http://womenshistory.about.com/od/salempeople/a/Rebecca-Nurse.htm


Salem


Oct 10, 2008, 5:16:31 PM

Literature / Poetry / Human Nature / Free Verse

She stirs the brew so lovingly , to heal the ones so sick.
They come at her with fire shouting"burn the godless witch".
The woman so gentle and kind now finds herself in an unfair predicament.
The people rage and rant,.
The burn her with no conscious no feeling.
And all because she practiced the evil art of herbal healing.

© 2015 Kayla Gentry ( Kyrie Kerr)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

So true! They were awful, really.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2886 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 30, 2015
Last Updated on August 30, 2015
Tags: The Salem Witch Trials, Salem, Massachusetts, The Crucible

Author

Kayla Gentry ( Kyrie Kerr)
Kayla Gentry ( Kyrie Kerr)

Modesto (Hell's Wasteland), CA, United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
Hiya! My name is Kayla Gentry, but I go by "The Vicious Vixen" (or just "Vicious Vixen"...or you know what? Let's just go with "Vixen". Make It easier on everyone haha).   Anyways! Moving On! (S.. more..

Writing