Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Kelley Quinn

 Lunch with Blake was stupendous. We had so much in common: Movies, books, and music too! He even knew who my favorite band was; a band that wasn’t very popular at all. This was all turning out to be amazing. After lunch, I said goodbye to Blake and drove back home. I had to finish my homework before school the next day. That whole night I thought and dreamed about Blake.

--�"�"�"-The next morning�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"


My alarm beeped alive, as usual, at 6:30. I groaned, but then I remembered that Blake said he was transferring into my school. I happily bounced out of bed and down the hall to the bathroom. Right when I looked at the mirror, I stopped short. My last breath caught in my throat as I read the message written in blood on my mirror. It read: If I can’t have you. No one can.

 

I read it over and over and over again, not believing what was right in front of me. I didn’t understand. Did Daniel write this? Of course he did, who else would have? I broke up with him, so he obviously couldn’t have me. But this, this was way over the line, even for Daniel. Maybe he had finally lost it…

Tears began sprouting from my eyes. I lost control and began sobbing. I didn’t know why. Maybe I was scared? Scared for myself or scared for Blake? Both, I supposed. What was going to happen? Why me? Oh, why me? I hated Daniel. I hated him so much. He was going to kill me. I could feel that, it was like a sixth sense. Wait. The message was written in blood. Where did he get the blood from? Oh. My. God.

 

“LUCAS!” I shrieked. I darted from the bathroom and was still screaming his name when I ran into his room. I got over to his bed and ripped the sheets off. It was empty, but there were bloodstains on his bed! “LUCAS! NO! NO! NO! COME BACK! PLEASE! LUCAS!” I screamed his name over and over, out loud and in my head. I fell onto his bed and shrieked his name into his pillow. My tears were gushing out in waterfall streaks onto his bed and pillow, soaking it through.

 

I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. Would that be mum? What would she say once she saw what Daniel had done to Lucas? Where did he hide the body? He’s a murderer. “A murderer.” I whimpered. I wiped the tears from my eyes, and stood up, ready to confront mum. But it wasn’t my mum who came up the stairs.

 

“L-Lucas?” I stammered. “Yeah?” He asked. He was pinching his nose. “W-what are you doing?” My brain was still in shock; it hadn’t realized that Lucas was alive. Maybe it was a ghost? “I got a bloody nose about thirty minutes ago. It stained my fricken sheets! Can you believe how unlucky I am? Now I have to wash them!”

 

My eyes began to pour over again. I was so happy! “Lucas.” I barely whispered. I ran over to him and wrapped my arms around him. I closed my eyes and breathed in his warm brotherly smell. “Chels? You alright?” “Just...just give me a minute.” I felt him chuckle softly. I smiled. If Daniel had killed Lucas, I would have had to kill him. Or myself. No way could I live without my brother.

 

Even after the excitement about Lucas had died down, my heart was still accelerated like a horse. I couldn’t stop breathing hard, and I was paranoid the whole morning. Everywhere I turned, I kept thinking Daniel was going to pop out and stab me or something. I must have been going crazy. Especially after that dream and that scare that morning.

 

It didn’t take me long to get ready, and in fifteen minutes, I was ready to go to school. “Lucas! I’m gone!” I yelled into the house. I heard him yell okay back, and then I walked out the door and to my car. When I reached the door, there was a note stuck on the handle. I took it off and began to read it. “Raina, did you get my message this morning? Meet me at our tree at 8:00.” I dropped the note, trying to collect my thoughts.

This was obviously Daniel, because last year we had ‘adopted’ this tree at the school. On the day that Daniel had officially asked me out in person, we were standing underneath that tree. So we made it our tree, and would always meet there on Fridays. Strange, I know, but I always thought it was so sweet how it was OUR tree. 

 

I thought the whole way to school what Daniel wanted. Especially since he wanted to meet at our tree and he couldn’t just tell me in the hallway or something like that. When I reached the school, there weren’t many cars in the parking lot. But there never was at eight in the morning. Classes started at nine, and students procrastinated as much as possible to not go.

 

I turned into a parking spot and stopped the car. I breathed in the fresh crisp air around me since I had the window open. Everything sounded so peaceful with my car turned off, and no one was around. I let my eyelids close and I tilted my head back onto the headrest. I thought about Daniel. But more importantly I thought about Blake. He had looked so manly and adorable yelling at Daniel to leave me alone.

 

When I opened my eyes, I saw Daniel making his way toward my car. I rolled my eyes and got out of the car. “Hey.” He said, looking down at his feet. “Hey.” I said back, emotionless. “You want to um...go talk by our tree?” Daniel asked, talking to his brown flip-flops. I shrugged, “Why not?” So we headed over to the tree and sat down on the soft soil.

 

We sat there for almost 10 minutes before I coughed and said, “So...?” “So...” Daniel replied. “You’re the one who wanted to meet me here.” I said with a blank face. This was so boring and I had no clue why I was even here or talking to this kid. “Well?” I asked again after Daniel hadn’t answered yet. “I just wanted to let you know that I love you.” I started cracking up; like knee slapping, rolling on the ground, stomach hurting, tears rolling down your face, laughing.

 

When I had finished with my little display of hysteria I looked over at Daniel who had a completely serious face on. “Oh, you were serious?” I asked, resisting the urge to let my face show a smile. “Yes. Chels, babe. I love you. I really do. Please, don’t leave me. I’ll do better. I promise. And if I don’t then you can leave me. But please, at least give me another chance!” By then I had stood up and was brushing the dirt off me. Daniel was on his knees, with his hands clutched tight, begging for mercy.

 

I rolled my eyes and said, “Daniel, I’ll say the same thing I’ve been saying for the past three months: If you loved me, then you wouldn’t hurt me.” I began walking away and I heard Daniel call after me and say, “I do love you. I know I do! Please, just look at it through my eyes for once!” For some reason that made me really mad. Why the hell should I look at this through his eyes? That would just make me look even more like the victim.

 

If anyone were to be looking through someone else’s eyes, it should be him seeing through my perspective for once. He needed to see that he was hurting me. I turned around to face Daniel and I said coolly and calmly, “I’m sorry, Daniel. But I’ve already given you one too many chances. You took those and shoved them back in my face. That just proved to me that we don’t belong together, and that you’re never going to change.”

 

I turned on my heels and walked up the path back to the parking lot. When I reached the school, I saw Scarlett, my best friend, walking towards me. I smiled. I would not let this confrontation ruin my day. I would act like it was just like any other day. Except today I was a free woman. Free of Daniel, and free of abuse. Oh happy day.

 

           “Hey, Rain-” Scarlett began her introduction toward me, but then cut herself off. “What?” I looked at her surprised. “What happened? You look like you’ve been crying!” Suddenly Scarlett’s face turned to worry and puzzlement. I shook my head. That confrontation with Daniel must have taken the worst to my face. I could still feel the anger plastered onto my face. I took a moment to try to get the feel of my face back to normal.

 

I breathed in some air and held it for as long as I could. When I finally let it out and looked over at Scarlett, she looked really anxious, waiting for the answers to the questions in her baby blue eyes. She looked like a puppy dog, her eyes all big, her hands on her sides, and her lip jutted out a little bit. I cracked up and said, “I’ll tell you on the way to class.”

 

The story went on from mine and Scarlett’s lockers to our first period class and even our second. I wrapped it up as we were in the line for lunch. I exhaled, like I had still been holding onto that breath from earlier in the morning. “Wow.” Scarlett said. “Yeah.” I replied, nodding. There really wasn’t anything else to say.

 

We stepped out of the lunch line and headed to our table. Nie, my other best friend, was already seated across from Ellie. When Scarlett and I set our lunches down, they were talking about some party that Lilly Andrews, this annoying popular girl, had had a couple of nights back. I didn’t go, of course. I didn’t fit in well with the popular people. And I didn’t want to.

 

Ellie turned to me and asked if I was all right. Did I still look frazzled from this morning? I looked over at Scarlett for a confirmation of if I still looked like that or not. She rolled her eyes and told me that I looked fine. “Yeah, Ellie, I think I’m going to be fine. But guess what!” I had just remembered that I hadn’t told her yet that I saw Blake again at the park.

 

Ellie nearly jumped out of her seat. She loved hearing new news. “What?? Is it about Blake??” I bobbed my head up and down, failing the attempt to keep from smiling. Ellie was just too hilarious. “Huh?” Nie said in her little confused voice. She was so tiny. Barely five foot, with straight brown hair and these yellow and bronze colored eyes that I was so jealous of.

 

Ellie glared at Nie. Anything (or anyone) that interrupted good news would pay the death stare. I laughed. I had forgotten to tell Nie the story. Oops. “I’ll have to tell you the story later, Nie, sorry!” She pouted a little bit but I didn’t really notice because I redirected my news back to Ellie. “Anyway, I saw Blake again!” Ellie glowed bright with her smile and said, “That is so awesome! Did you go back to the park?” “Mhm, and he had been waiting there in case I decided to come back. And then we had lunch together!”

 

“Who’s Blake?” Nie asked. I laughed again. Poor Nie was so clueless. I felt bad, so the rest of the lunch period Ellie, Scarlett and I all took turns filling her in on my crazy abusive love life. Which I had just remembered that none of them had known that Daniel had been abusing me until I told the story. And Ellie just found out when Scarlett casually threw that part into the pot of the story of my life.

 

And at the same time, both Nie and Ellie gasped. Nie said that she wasn’t that surprised because Daniel always seemed like the aggressive pushy type. The good thing about talking about this with my friends was that it felt good to get it all out. Good to not keep any secrets or tell lies about the bruises and scratches upon my bare skin. And the best part was we joked and laughed about it. Oh how lovely it felt to laugh with them again.

 

It was like when Daniel and I were together, I was locked in a box. And Daniel would hold the key right in front of me, but just out of my reach. And each time I got close to snatching it, he would pull it away right in front of my nose. I shuddered a bit, but I no longer had to worry. Daniel was out of my life forever. Unless he pushed himself back in. Would he go to such lengths just to be placed back in my life? I hoped not. But one must wonder…

 

All through the day I thought and thought about the dilemma between Blake and Daniel. Yes, Daniel had been in my heart for two years. And for the past year he has been pushing on that love. Almost to the point of breaking. And finally he pushed too hard and the line between our love was broken. I wonder if he regrets what he has done to me?

Besides, I am officially scarred for life because what I have experienced. Not to mention that some of these scratches and bruises wouldn’t heal all the way and would eventually become scars. Scars that would remind me every day of my past with Daniel. Probably the worst part of my life. So far.

 

“Raina? RAINA?” Nie yelled my name louder and louder, until I began to come out of my little flashback thoughts. “Huh?” I asked, completely out of it. “Sweetie, are you going to be alright?” I glanced around. I hadn’t realized that we were now on our way to class. When did that happen? When did we leave the lunchroom? Wow, I really need to work on that zoning out problem.

 

“Yeah. I think so, Nie. I just know that I’m obviously never going to forget Daniel. But not in a good way. He’s a bad part of my past.” Nie nodded, seeming to understand. She was a really good friend because she knew when to shut up and be serious. Ellie sometimes didn’t. Don’t get me wrong, they both share equality in my heart, but each of them have better qualities than the other one. For this problem, Nie was probably the best way to go.

 

 

Nie and I went our separate ways. Her to Science. And me on my way to Social Studies. I was contemplating on whether or not I had done the right problems in the book for homework, when suddenly I realized a terrifying thing. My body seemed to shut itself down and came to a halt in the middle of the hallway. Daniel was in my Social Studies class. And we were partners for the next two classes to work on our projects. “Why me?” I muttered to myself and whipped around the corner. I stepped into the classroom and held my breath.

 

Glancing over to Daniel’s usual seat, three behind mine, which was the first one in the second row, he was seated quietly with a book placed in his muscular hands. I shook my head, I couldn’t think about those things. Muscles had always had a hold on me. So...strong. No. I have to stop. He used to be an addiction. Something that hurt you, and you knew that, but you just. Couldn’t. Stop.

 

I took three quick strides and plunked myself down on my plastic chair. Good thing Daniel was too deep into his book that he hadn’t noticed my entrance. Only about a minute had passed since I had come into class, but already I was nervous about the next hour and half having to spend with my ex abusive man.

 

My mind brought myself back to this one time when Daniel and I had gone to a party. I had been really excited because it was going to be my first high school party. (Lame, right?) But Daniel had made me promise that I wouldn’t drink or do anything crazy like that. I had promised him of course, and had even kept my promise. But HE hadn’t promised anything. He had drank and drank all night. I had been dumped out on the street like a forgotten winter outfit. I hadn’t known anyone there, and he had expected me to just get along fine without him?

 

All I know is that I had found Daniel in the bathroom puking his heart out, and I had dragged him down the stairs, drove him home and then went back to my home sweet home and hadn’t woken up until almost a day later. I had been exhausted. Now from sleep, but just the case in which I hadn’t known anyone there and Daniel didn’t even stop in to see if I had needed company or if I had wanted to go home. Nothing. Zip. Zilch.

 

My mind dragged my weary body back into Social Studies, where my teacher, Mr. Barnes, was already starting the lecture. I pulled out my notebook and subconsciously by habit looked over my shoulder at Daniel. He smiled a non-charming smile. A smile I didn’t recognize. It had a mixture of sorrow, regret and anger in it. I cowered back a little bit and turned myself to face Mr. Barnes. No matter what happened I would not let my sympathetic self be dragged into his pathetic little figure and get myself hurt again. It may sound selfish, but I need to protect myself, because I evidently had had others trying to reach the same goal but I just wouldn’t let them open my door. 

 

 

 

“Class, as soon as you finish the three problems on page 79 you can get into your groups for your project that is due next week.” Mr. Barnes stated to the whole class. I let out an exasperated sigh. Daniel and I had picked each other as partners two weeks back, when we were still together. We hadn’t even thought of the chance of us breaking up. Well, I had. But I hadn’t tried to think on it too long.

 

My book opened easily; weary from all the damage I had done to it these past four months of school. I gave it a hug in my mind and promised it that I would try to make it look more appealing when I had time. The problems in the book were quite simple. Just regular ‘When did World War ll begin and end?’ and ‘Why were colonial women considered not important?’

 

With great ease, I swept through the questions and felt frantic as I ended the third problem. I definitely wasn’t looking forward to spending the rest of the period dealing with Daniel. My pencil dropped from my hand onto my desk and I took a quick peek to see if Daniel had finished yet.

 

There he was, staring off into space. His cropped hair was growing out and hung a little bit above his eyebrows. He looked so thoughtful. So mature. Here I go again, thinking of all the positive things about him. Making myself feel like I miss him. Well, I don’t. There are too many negative things about him that overrule those good things.

 

Still, he did look rather cute. The sun coming in from the window that he was gazing at glinted off his eyes and made them seem like they were sparkling. It seemed so unreal, like a fantasy that I made up in my mind, that he ever abused me. He just had the image of someone so gentle and caring. Boy, talk about not judging a book by its cover. But this time, it isn’t that he seems not nice, he seems amazingly nice, but he turned out to be horrid!

 

How could such a beautiful thing be so ugly?

 

Before I had realized how long I had been staring at him, he turned and his eyes locked on mine. I inhaled quickly and unexpectedly. His eyes seemed sad. Like he was physically in pain. I had too look away. Now. But something held me there. Not the intense stare coming from his blue green eyes. Not the fact that he was just so beautiful. But just because I didn’t want to look away. I wanted this moment to last forever.

 

And then, it ended. Chairs were scraping, whispers emerged from each side of the room. Daniel had looked back down at his book, leaving me there with a dazed look planted on my face. “Chelsea?” Mr. Barnes’s voice inquired, filled with more than one question with just one word. I didn’t even glance his way; my eyes were still stuck on Daniel. “Yes?” I muttered softly. “If you’re finished with your book work, then you may go hook up with your partner there and work on your project. Remember, its due next class.” Hook up. What a strange way to phrase working together. I wonder if Mr. Barnes knew that Daniel and I had been going out. Ah well. Doesn’t matter now.

 

“Yes sir.” I said to him a beat too late, and began picking up my stuff. Daniel looked my way as I stumbled toward him in an awkward walk. It was very awkward indeed, what with him practically glaring at me. I could feel my cheeks filling with blood and it was all I could do not to just plop myself on the floor and give up entirely on this life of mine.

 

“Hey.” I said, sort of quick and slurred. “Mmm.” Daniel replied. I rolled my eyes. Fine, if he was going to be immature and pretend that we were only acquaintances and nothing had ever happened between us for the last two years; then so be it. I shuffled around my binder until I came up with our paper that had scribbles of notes and footnotes of forgotten information. I couldn’t even remember what our project was about my mind was so full.

I stole a look at Daniel because I could feel his eyes on me. “Chels...I...” Ah ha. So he WAS going to talk to me about it. I turned myself so that I was facing him. “Yes, Daniel, what is it?” I didn’t say it rudely; I was just impatient because his mood had changed so quickly. Almost eagerly. “Well...I thought that you should know that...”

                                    -----Make new chapter-----

          “What is it Daniel?” I asked again, getting a little impatient.” He swallowed once, “Just wanted you to know that I never wanted to hurt you.” Daniel finished, with a breath being released from his lips.  I let my expectant shoulders drop and I my eyes wandered down to the paper my hands were gripped on. “Daniel, listen...what went on between us was really special. Really it was. But if had let myself cave into your abuse any longer, you probably would have ended up killing me.” Daniel’s mouth was left agape after that statement. It took him several minutes to respond.

 

His face looked sympathetic and child-like, “Raina, babe, it wasn’t that bad was it? I didn’t really hurt you, did I? This is all a sick joke, right?” Even before he had finished the first question, I was shaking my head. “No, this isn’t a joke.” I reached down for my sleeve and pulled it up to my shoulder and showed him my purpled skin. He gasped and as he reached to gently prod at my skin, his eyes quivered, seeming to fill with tears that never came.

 

Daniel’s hand brushed over one particular bruise that was on my left forearm. My arm was slightly shaped different in that spot. He seemed to be in shock. I tried to pick up my hand to wave it in front of his face, but my hand felt as heavy as lead. “What happened?” He asked, still in shock. I wasn’t quite sure if I should tell him what he did that day for me to receive this injury. I might as well, though.

 

“Do you remember when we went bowling that one time in February last year?” Daniel nodded without looking up at me. I closed my eyes and exhaled. I didn’t want to continue this story but I had to finish what I started. And the more I thought about what happened that day, the more I realized that Daniel really was crazy.

 

“Well, we were just bowling and laughing. But then you just couldn’t get a strike and I got three in a row. Once again you got very competitive and decided to take it out on me. You picked up a bowling ball and told me that I better not get another strike. So I just nodded and bowled. As before, I got another strike. I had been so frightened to turn around and see what you would do to me but I did and-“

 

Daniel cut me off, “I hit you with the ball, didn’t I?” He asked, meekly. I slowly nodded, not sure what were to happen next. Daniel closed his eyes and leaned back in his seat. When he reopened them and looked at me he just sat there, silent. I wasn’t sure what to do.

 

“Daniel?” I whispered, my voice cracking. He looked so frightened, like he actually hadn’t known what he was doing. Maybe I made a mistake...“OW!” My voice screamed out. I hadn’t realized that Daniel’s hands were firmly twisted around my arm, and his face was in shock. “What the hell, Daniel, that hurts! Let go!” I was still shouting a little bit, but I honestly didn’t care. He let go and looked at our classmates. They were all staring at us, wide-eyed and confused.

 

My mind screamed for me to say something, but I was at a loss. I side glanced at Daniel. He was just as tongue tied as me. “Yeah, so that’s what one of the slaves would have said when their masters whipped them.” I improvised and turned my head to him, to take the glare of the other students off my face. All of their eyes moved over to peer at Daniel. “Uhm, yeah.” He managed to say back.

 

Eventually they all lost interest and looked away, even though some of them would periodically look back to make sure we were still working together okay. Daniel, however, acted like nothing had happened. And when we had 15 minutes of class left he turned to look at me and continued with our conversation like there had been no interruption at all.

 

“Did I really do that to you? With a bowling ball?” I nodded without looking up at his face. I didn’t want to see that childish expression again. But my mind gave in of course and forced my eyes to look at him. “Yes, along with the others. Would you like to hear those stories too? I remember all of them.” I said this with a straight face and no emotion at all. It was the only way I could stop myself from breaking down and just crying right there and then.

 

Daniel just sat there, still a little stunned from my previous story. “No, please don’t tell me another one.” I rolled my eyes and looked back down at my paper, filling in the answers to the questions for our project. Not too long after Daniel spoke up, “What about that one?” He asked, reaching up to touch the side of my face. I nearly screamed again but I kept it in. I didn’t even have to look at that one I knew when it happened.

 

“Do you really not remember, Daniel?” He nodded sheepishly. I sighed, “Why do you think it looks so fresh? It only happened yesterday! When you slapped me in the forest and then left me there. Oh, but then you come back with an excuse of ‘I went to the store to get you some medicine.’ Yeah right! I had probably been there for at least two hours! It does not take two hours to get medicine from a drug store that is right across the street.”

 

I doubted Daniel wanted to talk about that though, because he changed the subject. “Blake.” Was all he said, and my body went tense. What did he want with Blake? “What about him?” I asked, timid and cautious. “He will pay for taking my girl from me.” I lurched my head back a bit and stared at him in agony. How could he say such a thing? “Daniel, how dare you assume that Blake stole me from you. He had nothing to do with it. It was all your fault.” Before I knew it, Daniel had grabbed my arm and his other arm was placed directly over my mouth. I looked over to the teacher’s desk, and Mr. Barnes wasn’t there!

 

We were in the back of the room, and everyone else was facing forward, talking amongst their groups with their faces deep into their books. No one would notice. Daniel leaned forward and whispered in my ear, “If I can’t have you. No one can.” Nausea rolled over me and tears began to form in my eyes. The way he said those words made them seem so much more like a threat than saying ‘I’m going to kill you’.

 

I could feel the shock in my eyes as I realized that was the message that written on my mirror that morning. I guess Daniel noticed my eyes and became aware of why I was so shocked. He chuckled quietly to himself, “Yes, Raina. I did that. And I used my own blood. See?” Still keeping his grip on me, he inched his sleeve up and showed me the rigid cuts going up and down the underside of his arm. This guy was crazy.

 

Daniel’s hand was still clamped over my mouth, but he slowly released me and unwrapped his hand from around my arm. I darted my eyes toward where he had grabbed me and there were four purple marks where his fingers had laid upon my skin. My sob broke out and everyone turned to see what was happening.

 

Tears were streaming down my face harder than I could possibly control. And Daniel sat there reading his social studies book like some kind of oblivious moron. I let everything out there and then. My sobs got quicker and became short little hiccups until I thought I was going blind. It was like I lived in a world of water, and everyone had blurred around me. Nothing was straight, and my head felt like someone had stabbed it with a screwdriver.

 

Was I insane? Maybe I was dreaming. No, the thud and ache of my heart seemed way too real for me to be dreaming. I recognized Mr. Barnes’s footsteps running into the classroom and telling everyone to get out of the way. His voice got nearer. “Raina, can you hear me?” “Yes, Mr. Barnes. Yes, I can hear you.” A voice replied. Was that my voice? It felt like someone else was in this body of mine. Like I had no voice at all. And this other person was in here, speaking for me.

 

“Someone take her to the nurse. I’m sure she’s fine. Probably just a little tired.” He was wrong. I was not just a little tired. I was in pain. It was like I could feel every bruise and scratch on my skin and the pain had formed together and rushed to the center of my body. My heart.

 

Soon, I felt arms around me and I was floating. No longer dealing with the forms of gravity. A voice I thought I recognized said, “Geez, what a drama queen.” The other person that had replaced me spoke, “I hate you.” And then I connected with gravity again. I hit the floor harder than I had expected to. And I heard footsteps fading. Who was it that had been carrying me? Had they just dropped me and left me there?

 

I opened my eyes slowly but the light made me close them tight again. “Hello?” A lady’s voice asked. Once again, the replacement responded, “I need help.” It said. Did I? Did I need help? Or could nothing help me in my condition? 


--�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"A Couple Hours Later�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"


I couldn’t even remember what had happened or going through the rest of the school day. Had I spent it in the clinic? The hospital? The memory seemed so blurry; I must have been out for most of it. Now, I was walking home and kicking a pebble on the concrete. Hadn’t I driven to school? Was my car still at the school? It hurt trying to remember. Maybe I had a concussion…

 

I heard a car drive up and slow down next to me; I turned my head to look at it and noticed Daniel sitting in the driver’s seat. I rolled my eyes and began walking faster. “Babe, hey don’t walk away from me!” “Leave me alone, Daniel!” I yelled back. I heard the car come to a stop and a door opening. Daniel’s familiar footsteps lined up with mine easily and he began to talk. “Sorry about dropping you on the floor today, you were just really pissing me off.” I stopped mid step. “That was you?? You dropped me on the floor? Geez, Daniel, I think I have a fricken concussion and all you say is you’re sorry??” Daniel looked down at his feet and heaved his shoulders. “Yeah, well I wanted to make it up to you.” His spirit bounced back and he got the courage to look me in the eyes.

 

“No, that’s okay. Apology accepted. Bye.” I quickened my pace again and Daniel chuckled, “Raina, baby, you can’t do that, you see? Haven’t you figured it out by now that if I can’t have you, no one can?” “Why do you keep saying that?” I yelled at him, anger boiling in me. And then I noticed it. On Daniel’s hands was bright red paint. “Why do you have red paint on your hands?” I asked. He smiled, “Oh, babe, its not paint.”

                                             ----New chapter----

         “YOU MONSTER!” I screeched at Daniel, terrified of the murderer beside me. My legs turned my body around and I pounded my feet one after the other on the concrete as fast as I possibly could. Too slow, though, because within seconds Daniel was right on my tail, chasing after me. I felt a weight crash down onto me and my body came into contact with the cement. Before I even knew what was happening my arms were thrust out and hit the ground with tremendous force. I yelped out in pain.

I felt Daniel’s hands turn me around to face his outraged expression. I could feel the terror behind my eyes, and I’m sure he could see it. Did he enjoy my fear and pain? Or was he mentally ill? “WHAT DID YOU DO?” I sputtered out, in defense so that he wouldn’t hit me. It worked, because a slight smile spread across his hard face and he said softly, “Why don’t you go check at the park?”

Horror washed through my mind. Images splattered the insides of my head. Flashes of the worst Daniel could have done to Blake. What IS the worst he could have done? My legs wouldn’t move. My brain was in too much of a shock. It took me several minutes before I realized that this wasn’t one of my usual terrifying daydreams. This was real. And Daniel was a killer.

As fast as I could I ran back to my house, constantly looking over my shoulder to make sure Daniel wasn’t following me. When I reached my house, my car was parked in the driveway. I guess my mum had gone to the school to pick it up. I shoved my hand into my pocket to dig out my keys, and pulled my hand back out empty. Where were my keys??

They must have fallen out when Daniel tackled me to the ground! I sprinted back to that spot, with Daniel in no sight, just like my keys. This was the second time that Daniel had taken my keys! I cursed silently to myself and began jogging down the street in the direction of the park. My body was so weary from the day’s activities but I wouldn’t allow myself to stop until I figured out what had happened.

By the time I reached the entrance to the park, I was wheezing out breaths and nearly collapsed, but I kept pushing myself, persistent to solve this mystery.

 

 

With tiny jolts of fear in each of my steps I jogged through the park, looking for any obscurities. Everything seemed normal. Little kids swinging on the swings, as their mothers sat on a near by bench reading a book or watching the blue jays.

My heartbeat slowed a bit, but my nerves stayed on end. There had to be something wrong here. Or else Daniel wouldn’t have told me to come here. Unless...it was to distract me so he could deal with the actual problem with me out of the way. Does that mean that the red ‘blood’ wasn’t real? Could it have just been paint?

I wasn’t quite sure of my theory, so I couldn’t just give up and leave the park when there might be something or someone in danger here. I decided to take one last jog around to find anything abnormal.

As I finished my circle around the main park area, I remembered that there was a small trail that wove around the park, but it was in the woods. Could the victim be in there? It wouldn’t hurt to try, right?

I neared the entrance of the forest trail and I began to feel a little eerie. It was pretty dark in there. It was, after all, past 4:30. My steps slowed to steady thumps on the soft earthy soil beneath me. My breathing quickened however, and my palms grew saturated.

To calm myself, I tried singing a song that I learned when I was in the 3rd grade. “When you feel sad and lonely. Don’t you worry, now, don’t you worry. You are never alone.” But as I sang the song and repeated the words out loud and in my head, it seemed scary. ‘You are never alone.’

My footsteps seemed like the only sound now, that, and the rhythmic speed of my breathing. As soon as I heard a soft voice, however, I stopped abruptly. The last breath that was in my throat stuck there like a fly in a spider web.

“Please, anyone! Help...” The small calls for help seemed just below a whisper, even though I knew they were meant to be loud. I tried to find the direction the voice was coming from, but it was so soft that I lost track of it.

Then, it came again, “Help...” Oh no...That voice. It sounded so familiar. A spurt of pain shot through me as I realized whom it was. My mind and body were numb as it traveled the course to where the calling came from. A limp body lay between two branches in a small pile of soggy leaves.

His head slowly moved up, “Rain...Raina?” I kneeled next to him; horror struck at all the blood on his body. His arms were a deep purple, and his legs were bent in ways that they weren’t supposed to be. My mouth wouldn’t work. I just placed my hands around him and pulled his weak body into my arms. “Shh.” I barely murmured. “Thank you.” He said, before his eyelids pulled shut and a small breath of air was released from his cracked and bloody lips.

 

“Oh, Blake.” I mumbled, “Its all my fault. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” I closed my eyes and tightened my hold on him. “Its okay, Raina. I...I think I’m okay. I just...ouch.” He was in pain. Blake was in pain because of me. I was the one who had to be selfish and bring someone else into my already messed up relationship, and now looked what I did! “Don’t move. It’ll only make it worse.” I told him. Trying my best to be careful, I pulled my arm out from below his weak body and reached into my back pocket for my phone.

My fingers glided over the keypad and dialed Lucas’s number with ease. He picked up on the second ring, “‘Ello?” “Lucas! I’m at Gram Park across the street from Lenny’s Diner. Blake’s badly injured. Can you please come? And hurry!” I snapped the phone shut after I heard Lucas say okay, and then jammed my phone back into my pocket.

I wove my hand back under Blake’s frail figure and whispered to him, “Its okay, Blake. My brother is coming. You’re going to be okay.” He just nodded, his eyes still shut tight. He looked so childish, but also kind of silly. Blake had a bulky form, and he looked awkward sitting in my small arms. But I could care less. I hugged him closer and rested my cheek on his damp head and prayed that Lucas would be here very soon.

A screech of tires came from somewhere behind me. I had thought at first that I had fallen asleep, but then I remembered that I had been staring at the same piece of a log for the past five minutes, just sort of zoning out. Swift footsteps were headed in my direction. Lucas probably didn’t know my exact spot so I called out for him. “Lucas! Over here!” Branches snapped and leaves crunched under his weight as his body emerged from the rubbish, and then there he stood; my knight in shining ar…

That’s not Lucas.

“Daniel! What the hell are you doing here?!” There he was, standing over me, rage splattered over his face. “Why aren’t you dead yet?!” I gently prodded my arms out from beneath Blake and stood up slowly. I turned to face Daniel and calmly said, “Did you want him dead?” Daniel’s face softened, but his eyes still burned with fury. “Yes.” He said through clenched teeth.

My body and mind nearly exploded with enragement. I had had enough of Daniel and his little games. This was going to end. And it was going to end now. “Daniel, you listen and you listen well. I don’t give a s**t what went on between us or what you did to me. That’s all in my past now. But THIS!” I pointed to Steve, “This, Daniel, is just absurd. How dare you...No...How do you have the NERVE to do this to someone? To do this to ME. To BLAKE. Pray tell, Daniel!”

He stood there silently for minutes, maybe hours. I started silently counting in my head. I got to 600 before he spoke. “How dare I? How dare YOU speak to me in that manner! You WILL show me respect!” “You are not my father. You have no say in what I do or don’t say!” His hand came out of nowhere. It was so sudden I jumped back a bit out of surprise. But the pain was there clearly on my face. It stung and throbbed and the tears jutted out of my eyes so immediately that they seemed to have come even before the smack.

Daniel had hit me so many times before, but this time hurt even more than the first time he did it. We had been at my house watching a movie and he didn’t want to get up to get some more water so he told me to do it. I found it kind of rude in the way that he had told me to do it, so I spoke my mind about it. He smacked me hard on my cheek and told me never to talk to him like that again. I had had to hide the bruise under concealer for a week until it began to fade. I will never forget that moment.

This time, for once in my life since the abuse had began. I took more action then just words. Because words obviously weren’t going to work for this psycho. So I hit him back. Right in the gut. Daniel’s moan of the air being punched out of him was the most delightful thing I had heard in the past year. I smirked at him as he fell to the ground gasping for air. His pitiful face looked up at me with eyes that begged, but I just laughed and said, “No, sweetie, don’t you see? YOU don’t talk to ME in that matter.”

 



© 2014 Kelley Quinn


Author's Note

Kelley Quinn
Just looking for pointers to improve my work :]

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on August 24, 2009
Last Updated on November 9, 2014