If Only I Knew

If Only I Knew

A Story by Kelly
"

This is my first story to be posted on here. Hopefully you like it! :)

"
I see you in the back corner or the classroom, slouching in your chair. The "popular" students are throwing crumpled paper in your face, and you try not to let them see the tear slipping down your rosy checks. You wanted a friend, someone to send you a reassuring smile. If only I knew.

I see you sitting in the front of the bus, staring out the window. We get off the bus and part ways. People are kicking you while you attempt to run home like your life depend on it. You go straight to your room and put makeup on your black eye and cuts, that I didn't notice. If only I knew.

That night, you sit in your room doing your homework with the music volume cranked as high as it can go, trying hard to ignore the crashing plates downstairs. Your parents are fighting- what else is new? Your father slams the front door, and you look out the window to see him get in his car with his suitcases packed. If only I knew.

It's Friday now, and you come to school wearing a turtle-neck sweater in 80 degree weather. You wear pounds of makeup on your face, but I didn't know why. Your alcoholic mother beat you with a frying pan and anything she could find, leaving bruises all over you face, neck, and body. It hurts for you to sit down, to move, anything. If only I knew.

During lunch, the same students trip you, causing your lunch to scatter in the floor. You get on your hands and knees to pick up your food, when one student holds you down while the other kicks, punches, and kicks you. They leave when they realize you are too weak to fight back, but that doesn't matter. Your ribs are bruised and you walk it off anyway. You are 80 pounds, as it turns out you never eat your food anyway-you don't have the motivation. If only I knew.

It's Monday now and your seat is empty. Where are you? You've never missed a day of school. Are you okay? Please tell me you are okay. I run home after school to get my bike. I pick up the newspaper, and I fall to the ground when I read the headline,"Teen Girl Commits Suicide". I continue reading, despite the stinging sensation I am getting in my eyes. A tear drops onto the paper. Am I crying? I learn that you were found in the local river, with bruises all over your body, broken ribs, and a cracked skull. I realize your mother and the school bullies were too much for you to handle. I thought you were strong enough to handle them. I want you to know how sorry I am, but I know it's too late. If only I knew that you only wanted help. If only I knew that you wanted a friend. If only I knew you wanted a loving family. If only I knew that you were going to end it all.

I return back to school the next day and I am determined to make some changes. Do you want to know why? Because now I know.

© 2014 Kelly


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This yanked the strings to my heart. It isn't often i get to read something that does that; so in other words, very well done for your first piece. I don't know how many times i have wished for a friend in lonely times. But I can tell you know one has noticed.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 8, 2014
Last Updated on May 8, 2014