The Theory of Correspondences.

The Theory of Correspondences.

A Poem by Ken Simm.
"

Connections

"

When the stones grew slowly.

The world was made of these. The lines of our perfect stone bodies accepting the first light to grow. When the subtle and the gross became one. The liquid of pain that was the final flowing of what we lost. That pain is thought. It hurt to think of it.

Light is to wisdom as warmth is to love. These are the thoughts that come from the theories of correspondence.

A river delta of branches. A ripening of air in the summer heat. A time in which we stood together and watched the places that grew together.

A curl of tree bark seen in the blink of a deep old eye. Long lashed and ancient.

The blue veins marked on young naked skin became a secret tattooed wing map to deeper understanding.

Life was captured in sculptured stone. Pressed and nearly immortal.

A golden image was made of the things we once worshipped in the light of wisdom. A synchronicity of types fallen from grace.

Lucifer’s comet dropping the distant miles to earth and becoming finely forged steel tempered in cool water.

The legends we believe. The forging of parables and teaching myths for the elements.

The mathematical code of design above is not because the watch maker is signing his work over the eons of time. There is a lack of evidence.

Earth, air, fire and water.

A fall of water is a fall of stars. A fall of blood filled sound.

A rushing of a spirit wind of emotion blocking the nerves from pain and reaching for it’s twin in a universe of identical wishes, forever displaced.

As above, so below.

Father Sun and Mother Moon

It is when the minds grew.

Beyond the teacher. Beyond stories.

The wishes grew with them and time stopped flowing. Only to repeat itself in secret communications such as these.

A stone became a flame.

A flame became a flower.

A flower became a winged feathered wish.

The feather grew the wing. The wing beat the air and the movement caused a moment of original thought.

Stone grew fossilised flowers that died in soft sand. Bone became hard stone.

A congruence began when the stones were built upon by magical hands.

Art became false worship.

And by this the world was formed.

 

 

© 2013 Ken Simm.


Author's Note

Ken Simm.
As above so below is a cornerstone of Hermetic thought and was reputedly found on the Emerald tablet in the dead hands of the legendary Hermes Trismegistus.
The correspondence theory of truth states that the truth or falsity of a statement is determined only by how it relates to the world. The theory of the watchmaker applied to creation suggested that design required a designer.
The painting is mine and is a European Eagle Owl. Private collection UK.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This piece spoke to me. I live in the Southwest US and have always felt that when I look at the Rocky mountains - the mesas, the volcanic floe - that I am looking at the "bones of the earth"
Perhaps as an American - in a "young" country - we don't relate to the ancient architecture - the resonance in old buildings because our cities are only a few hundred years old - but ancient places have timbre to them that is hard to articulate. This poem speaks to that thought process in my head.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

I've been to a few places in America where I've felt this feeling of connections. Yosemite, The Paci.. read more



Reviews

This piece spoke to me. I live in the Southwest US and have always felt that when I look at the Rocky mountains - the mesas, the volcanic floe - that I am looking at the "bones of the earth"
Perhaps as an American - in a "young" country - we don't relate to the ancient architecture - the resonance in old buildings because our cities are only a few hundred years old - but ancient places have timbre to them that is hard to articulate. This poem speaks to that thought process in my head.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

I've been to a few places in America where I've felt this feeling of connections. Yosemite, The Paci.. read more
First, kudos on the wonderful painting. I am not sure I understand oyur note... are you saying you painted it, or it is by another painter in your collection?

I will never understand the current obsession with shunning all things scientific. No-one has convinced me yet that the entire Universe is not a living organism whose reason for existence we cannot comprehend. Mythology teaches us the path within, but our observations teach us the path without. Heightened observation, passed down in text, becomes the basis of a civilization that can co-habitate on this beautiful planet. It is that simple. I personally know not enough to either deny or accept existence of a watchmaker. It does not matter- I know we are made of stardust. I know we are constantly eveolving as a planet, as a species. There is something to collective unconsciousness, I think. I know that cultivating compassion helps me not want to kill other human beings with whom I might otherwise violently disagree. Correspondence in human terms is maybe just this, then: There is no evidence that the Universe itslef is anything other than dispassionate. We alone (and maybe humpback whales) can look at it and feel passionate about the wondrous beauty all around us. There is no evidence it was ever created for our use, but we alone can select to either treat it valuable or not. We alone (that we know) can bring passion into the system. And if we stop being cynical for just a damned moment we might actually see how successful we have been at transcribing our world into things we both can and cannot understand, through the milennia. Isn;t that what forms the crux of mythology?

I really loved this one, Ken. Wonderfully executed, and the language is superb. I always walk away form your work with a changed perspective, or at the very least, a reminder to myself to stop tryign to blend in.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

It is my painting Marie. In that I did it. I knew the owl as well. Your extraordinary review need a .. read more
You did a wonderful job of translating this philosophy through the wording and lines. Not an easy feat by any means. As for the context, philosophies vary so widely on the subject of creation.. I simply enjoy reading them as I find myself somewhat fascinated by the theories and thoughts.

I also loved the painting as owls are a true favorite of mine. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

I quite like the air wings. Have you ever flown one? Or done any falconry?
Rogue

10 Years Ago

No, not personally. I have watched them close up though handled by bird trainers.

I jus.. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Yours, friend, is a unique and brilliant mind. What a world you've taken us through. Your voice resounds quiet like a shaman....or a Sherpa ;)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

What wonderful words. I don't know what to say other thn I am so honoured; which is enormously inade.. read more
"A stone became a flame.

A flame became a flower.

A flower became a winged feathered wish.

The feather grew the wing. The wing beat the air and the movement caused a moment of original thought.

Stone grew fossilised flowers that died in soft sand. Bone became hard stone"
All interconnected to an original spirit of Light and a Designer of all creation and this poem . Creation is a will not a thought only for He can say to anything Be and it is . All others are the reflection of human cognition ...Excellent write...:)
Into my faves...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Sami for looking and liking. And more thanks for the fave.
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

My pleasure...Any time...:)
Thoughts are as we understand them be. And "Fluffy" is proud of you ...chuckling here,

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

Now that is deep Chris. And the bit about thoughts as well. Thanks for looking my friend.
"The legends we believe. The forging of parables and teaching myths for the elements."
I enjoyed the complete poem. I like the thoughts and old wisdom in your words. The longer I live. The less I understand. I believe we must treat our world around us with care and gentleness. Hope we are walking upon the right path.
"Light is to wisdom as warmth is to love. These are the thoughts that come from the theories of correspondence."
I do my best to set the example. We teach by how we live. Our children will follow our example. I like the above line. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry. Kind of poetry to open the door to thoughts and possibilities. Thank you for the outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

The longer I live the less I understand. So true John. That is why I place emphasis on the journey r.. read more
true magic, took my breath away

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

What a great thing to say dear friend. Thank you.
What ............... ?

I know how to swim .. but not in deep waters ... sigh

J.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

Why do some things look like other things and the stories we told to explain that. Thanks for lookin.. read more
J. J.  Nightingale

10 Years Ago

:).................... ?
Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

I do tend towards the obscure Jazz. I know its one of my faults. Not that I have many he said humbly.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

709 Views
13 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 21, 2013
Last Updated on June 3, 2013
Tags: magick, love, thought, hermetic, life, conections, corrispondence, theory, esoteric

Author

Ken Simm.
Ken Simm.

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
'I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience' Thoreau. For all those who .. more..

Writing
Mort Mort

A Story by Ken Simm.