Xtron

Xtron

A Story by Twilight

 

 

       The Xtorians had been studying the human species for quite some time. Information had been gathered from a variety of sources over the years. There were the numerous TV and radio transmissions. And of course, the assortment of space debris which had been trapped in orbit around earth.

 

       There had been some surprise amongst the Xtorians at their most recent find. It was the Voyager II satellite. Such a foolhardy advertisement of mankind's location, development and other information could not have been surpassed. Fortunately for the humans, it had been Xtorians rather than a hostile breed which had caught this floating billboard, as it travelled through the wilderness of space.

 

       But what was it about earth people which interested the Xtorians? Their conclusions about mankind had been mixed. Most members of the supreme council were simply mystified by the sheer inhumanity of this species. For commercial reasons, power or sexual gratification, almost nothing seemed beyond the rules of this breed. And yet, the Xtorians foresaw hope for the inhabitants of earth.

 

       Throughout the galaxy, Xtorians were the masters of all. They were divided into two main classes, these being "savers" and "destroyers". Their altruism towards alien species was not for any self-serving objective. Every Xtorian saver felt obliged to help weaker creatures, whilst the destroyers sought to exterminate the incorrigible. And so it was, that in the year 2010, Xtron was sent on a mission to earth. But how could he rescue this wanton breed from self-destruction, even in his capacity as a saver?

 

       Xtron had been to the supreme council and their scientific team for advice. A unique bio-product had been developed the year before. By coincidence, it might prove invaluable for Xtron's quest. This product was one which could increase crop yields on earth by up to ten times. Thus, it had the potential to rescue the starving from their plight. Then again, could humans be trusted not to replicate this substance for commercial reasons alone? Furthermore, such a venture might open the way to friendship between the Xtorians and mankind.

 

       It was on the third of April, in 2010, that Xtron was sent on his journey to earth. He had with him a sample of the new substance in a small metal tube. "Zyclon 9", it had been named. The 9 was some kind of reference to a chemical in the Xtorian "periodic table", or so he thought. Xtron's scientific knowledge was basic.

 

       To help him explain his intentions, along with a few basic details about himself and the Xtorians, Xtron had their most sophisticated technology. There was an "anamorphic hologram", to help clarify the information at his disposal. It could be projected at the press of a button, for approximately three metres. This was of course a greater distance than between the head and toes of an average human.

 

       Another device, solar-powered, was available to provide the commentary. However, its battery would probably not need re-charging for five days. For his own welfare, Xtron also had some rudimentary medical and food supplies on board the "astro-sub". Indeed, it had been powered and loaded two days in advance. The supplies could prove vital of course, in the event of any injury or failure to find sufficient nutrients.

 

       It was on the african continent that Xtron was determined to land in his astro-sub. A bleak and poorly populated region was chosen, some distance away from any cities. This was to help minimise any harm or unexpected consequences of his sudden appearance. Indeed Xtron knew that this was an area with a dire state of technological development.

 

       As instructed by the supreme council, Xtron would have to make his way on foot to the nearest city. Perhaps, they had reasoned, the appearance of an alien on foot would be less threatening for humans? After all, the astro-sub might have been mistaken for a weapon or flying serpent by these lesser creatures. Noise was not an issue though. No sonic-boom or noise of any other kind was known to herald the arrival of an astro-sub. This was regardless of the varying astronomical and meteorological characteristics between planets and their solar systems.

 

        The astro-sub was triangular in shape, made from Termidium (many times more sturdy than even steel), with a black colour and enough room for up to two passengers plus some cargo. But as this was regarded as a fairly routine mission by Xtron, he had refused the company of anyone else on this journey.

 

          There was never any fear for an Xtorian. Emotions such as rage, lust and even cowardice were almost common place by comparison. Sex was just a bodily function for the average Xtorian. There was certainly no distinction between the savers and destroyers, as far as that went.

 

         Now for the information which Xtron had with him, to convey via the anomorphic hologram and solar-powered device. It included the basic layout for a sun filter which would help to optimise crop yields by regulating how much sunlight reached the crops. Then, there was a radical form of irrigation, which Xtron was at a loss to understand himself. But fortunately, his technological tools would be sufficient to "do the talking". And so it was, at the approach of sunset, that the astro-sub touched down on the continent of africa.

 

        Xtron breathed in the air through a curious design of tube, connected to two metal cylinders on his back. However, the weight of these was nothing compared with the "weight" of responsibility involved in trying to save an inferior species. In appearance, Xtron was similar in size to an average man. However, his skin was rough and dark. In fact, generations of exposure to the eternal sunlight on his own world, had toughened the epidermis of his people. In more ways than one!

 

         Xtron's face was cruel-looking and slightly reptilian. His feet had six toes, and a leather-like membrane stretched between each of them. Xtron was quite capable of walking for hours on end if necessary, in order to reach the nearest city. However, this was not a requirement. Indeed, Xtorians are always prepared in full, prior to venturing into the cosmos! That included surveying the local landscape, atmosphere (including the stratosphere) and even a basic toxicity test (from soil samples). Then of course, it was logical to calculate the most suitable landing point.

 

      On Xtron's left wrist was a black strap, holding a dark-coloured digital watch of a sort. The strap consisted of tydorium, along with something more! A clear-looking tube was tucked under the strap. It was filled with a colourless fluid, almost as clear as water in the way it looked. But this was something quite different. It was thixotropic in constituency and designed to seep into Xtron's flesh as he walked. It would help him to continue walking without a break. In other words, it was an effective stimulant!

 

       As he walked over the dusty land, Xtron knew that he would need food before the morning. The drug gave him plenty of energy, but little more than that. After three hours, he started to look about whilst walking. There was a biting wind, sending clouds of dust into the air at irregular intervals. Identifying a source of nourishment might not be easy. But of course, there were always those supplies which had been left on his astro-sub.

 

       Still walking (and thinking), Xtron's vision eventually cleared enough to see about three miles ahead. Despite a certain volume of dust in the air, his sight was improving. He could even hear the sound of human vehicles, now! There were horns, the occasional crashes and so on. Yes, that was how near Xtron had got to his goal!

 

       However, there was something wrong. Had the supreme council deceived him, perhaps? Played some kind of political game? Or had this even been a mad attempt to cause his death without arousing suspicion?

 

       Xtron came to an abrupt halt. It was no good. How could he approach an alien species and offer it hope, if he did not have the conviction himself that anything worthwhile could be achieved? After all, there were more worthy breeds to save, on other worlds.

 

       As the dust cloud thickened and swirled about him, Xytron was wrapped in his thoughts. He could not help returning to the suspicion that his fellow creatures had tricked him. Ironic he thought, that the supreme council considered humans inferior, whilst perhaps they were equally guilty of treachery to their own kind. Was that not a human trait, alone?

 

       The noise of traffic and clashing metal suddenly brought him back to the issue at hand! It was growing louder as he turned and started back on the journey to meet with "mankind". He smirked at the term. How did "man" and "kind" deserve such a close association? 

 

       There was suddenly the sound of an explosion and shouting! Xtron could see a road, with a poor-looking surface and corpses in their bloody rags. It was a sad sight. But he knew no fear. Disgust was what Xtron felt at this barbaric view! Not only were the dead and wounded being left to the mercy of the elements. They were also being exploited!

 

       It was a scene of bestial horror. Limbs were hacked away. Even some internal organs could be seen, often being torn away from their former owners in showers of crimson! You may be shocked, wondering what is going on here? Can you not guess at the truth? These poor wretches were being mutilated for sale of their organs. Yes, so poor were the humans of this city, that even their own people had become a commodity.

 

       You will not be surprised to know, that the humans of that city were never able to benefit from greater crop yields or that sun-filtering technology. In his anger and disgust, Xtron hurled the "Zyclon 9" into the flames of a burning vehicle! Without further wasted time, he set about calling the "destroyers".... 

© 2009 Twilight


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

How did "man" and "kind" deserve such a close association?
Brilliant line.

Also, you've probably hit upon the thing that would most disgust any advanced aliens, and I congratulate you for that.

Ironic, how they would commit genocide and still feel morally superior. But then again, so do all who commit genocide.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

How did "man" and "kind" deserve such a close association?
Brilliant line.

Also, you've probably hit upon the thing that would most disgust any advanced aliens, and I congratulate you for that.

Ironic, how they would commit genocide and still feel morally superior. But then again, so do all who commit genocide.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

One or two weird things; You say that Xtron was the Supreme Council's scientific team and then you say his scientific knowledge was basic. :S I'm confused. Another thing; first you say he has some of the Xtorian's most sophisticated technology and then you say he had rudimentary medical and food supplies. :S confused again.
Hmmmm the Termidium thing...I dunno. If you want it to seem strong then don't say it's stronger then steel. Titanium is stronger than steel, Carbon Fiber Re-enforced Plastic is stronger than titanium, which is stronger than steel. There are a good amount of things that are stronger than steel.
I agree with Eldee, you use exclamation points a lot. I think that a third person narrator should rarely use exclamation points. Exclamation points are the crappy material that makes a bad foundation for a story. Along with adverbs. Some of the worst things you can do to your story. They make it sound cheap.
" On Xtron's left wrist was a black strap, holding a dark-coloured digital watch of a sort. The strap consisted of tydorium, along with something more! A clear-looking tube was tucked under the strap. It was filled with a colourless fluid, almost as clear as water in the way it looked. But this was something quite different! It was thixotropic in constituency and designed to seep into Xtron's flesh as he walked! It would help him to continue walking without a break. In other words, it was an effective stimulant!" That has waaaaay too many of 'em. It looks as if you accidentally put in exclamation points instead of periods most of the way through this 'graph.
The ending wasn't really resolved. He just gets mad and throws his stuff into the flames, and stomps off and calls in the destroyers? Hmph. Not the greatest ending...
Anyway, that was pretty creative, but it had a lot of grammar and technical errors.
Best,
Andrew

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well, you certainly took that hoped-for-happy ending and turned it into dust. :o) This was an engaging story that held me captive from beginning to end.

Great job.

Linda Marie Van Tassell

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Just a few spots where spelling and grammar stood out.

"But how could be rescue this wanton breed from self-destruction, even in hins capacity as a saver?" - You misspelled he and his :)
"It was on the african continent that Xtron was determined to land in his astro-sub." - I think AFrican should be capitalized
"In fact, generations of exposure to the eternal sunlight on his own world, had toughened the epidermis of his people. In more ways than one!" - Not sure if the comma was necessary, and the second sentence should be conjoined with the first.
I also noticed that you used exclamation marks to a large extent. I felt that this took away from the story as a whole, it interrupted it and prompted the mark not to have the same effect as it would traditionally. Use exclamation marks a little less and periods a little more and the story will flow to a greater extent and be a better read.

I don't read sci-fi often so I can't exactly vouch on creativity. It seems creative to me, though, with a lot of room for development. It also certainly held the readers attention, but the doom of human species can do that...

I would look definitely continue reading this if it was continued :)


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
269
I have to give thought to a race divided into "savers" and "destroyers". That is a unique idea. I can feel the naivety of this superior race when encountering humans. Personally I suspect the cruelty of Homo sapiens is explained by evolution. Great read. charly

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

" You will not be surprised to know, that the humans of that city were never able to benefit from greater crop yields or that sun-filtering technology. In his anger and disgust, Xtron hurled the "Zyclon 9" into the flames of a burning vehicle! Without further wasted time, he set about calling the "destroyers".... "

Interesting idea, reads a little like thus spake Zarathustra (Nietzche) , similar ending , except Zar goes back to his cave in disgust . hmm Zyclon , as a life saver is a twist, being the gas used in Auschwitz, probably not an intended reference ?

"Without further wasted time, he set about calling the "destroyers".... "
Hmm rather an unsatisfactory ending IMHO
why bother, why not just ignore, put a beacon up useless species contained on this planet !
Just a thought *smile*
the basic idea could be developed

~Raven



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ATG
Interesting. Very interesting. I liked it. It was good. It was very well written.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

365 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 22, 2008
Last Updated on November 29, 2009

Author

Twilight
Twilight

Belper, Derbyshire, United Kingdom



About
My first name is Julian. I'm a white male, straight, English, christian, pro-life and 42 years old. Writing is just an interest to me. However, maybe I have the potential to achieve more? My favourite.. more..

Writing
Eden Now Eden Now

A Poem by Twilight



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..