Shopping

Shopping

A Chapter by Khance
"

Preparations still on.

"
"You took your time." Cierra said with a smile as she hugged Osiris from behind. "But it's good to see you after so long. I was so happy that you answered my message last week." Osiris laughed as he felt her arms around him. "Why wouldn't I? It really has been too long since we've seen each other properly. You're going to tell me everything that has happened in the last few months."
"Well, after that Thunderist exam, you missed a lot of classes at school. We all thought you had changed school without telling anyone. By the time you came back for classes, I had already left the school. I guess that you'll be going to college soon enough." Cierra said. Her arms slowly unwinding as she fell into step beside Osiris. Turning to face her, Osiris smiled and opened his mouth to answer, but something stopped the moment he saw her face. "Cierra, when did you... change?"
The eighteen year old girl smiled and twirled in front of him, "It's called getting older, if you had gone to school, you probably would have noticed. But then again, I did finish up there a while ago."
Osiris was still stuck for words, in front of him was no longer his childhood friend, it was a beautiful young woman. "You look amazing. You've changed so much."
Cierra nudged his shoulder, "So you're saying I wasn't amazing before?"
Osiris grinned, "Okay, well maybe your mind hasnt changed in the slightest."
The young woman smiled back at him before she took another step ahead of him and started walking in front of him. Twisting her body so she was walking backwards, Cierra resumed her questioning. "You didnt tell me what college you intend on going to. With your intelligence, you could probably get into the higher grade Universities. But I'm going to guess you've no interest in the colleges that dont specialise in mechanics?"
Osiris waved a hand through his hair, "I didnt really think about it that much to be honest. I was just taking it all one step at a time. I want to work with Quentin for a few years and learn as much as I can from him, but after that I have no idea."
Cierra paused and looked at Osiris, who almost walked straight into her. Looking up, the young woman smiled warmly as Osiris looked down at her in confusion. "You've grown taller in the last while, and I'm certain your shoulders werent that large the last time we talked. But my main question, is what you want to do with your life?"
Osiris rolled his eyes, "I'm just turning seventeen, its not such a huge thing... I can think about the future later."
"You've no idea, do you?" Cierra asked with a raised eyebrow. Osiris, upon seeing her face, instantly saw a flash of Xaveria in his mind. Shaking his head to clear the image, he wondered why he had suddenly thought of her. "Being honest, I dont want to think about it. There have been so many offers from huge corporations. All of them want me to refine their current technologies. Adaptation and Evolution is what most of them called it. Other companies that I've never heard of have asked me to come and learn subjects that i've never heard of before. It's quite daunting. I'd honestly prefer to just be accepted into one place... it would at least give me a little direction to life. But Xavier can give me that."
Sighing to himself, Osiris looked skyward and just took a breath. "Life is difficult. What do you want to do with yourself?"
Cierra winked, "Well, I've started in a separate division of the Grove Arms Industry. My father just decided to give me my own facility to keep me happy for the time being. It will focus on renewable energies. I doubt we'll be able to come up with anything new and innovative, but anything should be a step forward for the current Grove Energy plan. It's horrible."
Osiris raised an eyebrow, "But what about university, I thought you'd want to go there."
Cierra smiled, "Don't be silly, of course I'll be going to university. The Grove Energy Project is just going to be my partnered internship. Half my grades are determined by the academics whilst the other half is determined by the performance in my chosen industry contract. Which in this case, is a separate division of my family's company."
"Do you think that I would be able to do something like that?" Osiris asked with a slight smile.
Cierra grinned, "On the condition that the chosen industry meets certain requirements, yes. But there are so many opportunities for you out there. You can also apply to mentorship programmes and then there are competitions set out across each academic year. If you thought that the Thunderist Exam was fun, imagine yourself surrounded with people your own age with the same thirst for knowledge as you."
Osiris was shocked, "That type of place really exists. I thought that University was just a similar type of education as our school was. Just a little more difficult."
Cierra frowned for a moment, "Our specialities are a little different so we'd most likely be put in different departments within my University, if you chose to go to mine. Which I think you'll like."
Osiris was excited now, "What's so good about your one?"
Cierra smiled and nudged his shoulder. "If you're good for the rest of the day, I might tell you about it."
Osiris stood in confusion as he watched his childhood friend walk ahead of him and into the crowd. Smiling to himself he chased after her.

"So, there are path's that I could take throughout the University. Like I wouldnt be able to choose a set specialisation?" Osiris asked as he completely ignored the food on the table in front of him. Cierra laughed, "Would you please eat something, you're obsessed. I'm surprised we were able to actually get through the last few hours without you physically tackling me and demanding answers."
Osiris smiled, "Seriously, you have to explain it to me."
Cierra feigned a shocked expression, "The great Osiris Creek... needs something explained to him?"
"Please?" he asked again, this time trying to look innocent and cute.
"Fine then, just dont ever try to make that face again. It looks like it hurts you." Cierra started as she pushed her food tray away from her. "You can't start with a specialisation. You need to work your way towards it. There are a base of maybe thirty subjects that you can choose at the beginning, and from them you will need to pass about four and excel in about two. You'll need them to get to the next stage of the degree. Depending on your choices at the beginning, you'll be able to determine what direction your degree will take. Our subjects will be completely different if you come to my university."
Osiris leaned back in the chair he was sitting on and thought out loud for a moment, "So if I wanted to specialise in turbo mechanics?"
Cierra however just laughed, "You're going to be a little dissapointed I think, or very surprised. Turbo Mechanics is one of the starter courses. You can select it at the beginning, but the more advanced subjects would replace it. How about I send you the course option sheet? You can then select a few class trees from it and see what degree you'd end up with. Just remember that they are very, very difficult and would require a lot of time and effort. So think about them rationally."
Osiris took a breath as he received the file invitation. "Validate Sir?"
"Yes, receive file."
"Voice Validation complete. Receiving file."
"Complete."
Osiris tapped his fingers on the table and waited until the automated voice in his ear cut off. After a few moments, a small screen appeared over his wrist with tiny writing on it. "This could take a while to get through..." Osiris started apologetically, thinking that it would be more polite to leave it until another time.
Sighing to herself, Cierra pulled his wrist and placed it against the table. The table illuminated for a moment and suddenly the image appeared across the table top with very clear writing. "That's amazing, I didnt think that they had these tables here." Osiris said in awe.
Cierra smiled, "You need to get out more, that's the only problem. Just let me move these trays and you can get reading up on all the different course options. How about that?"
Osiris however didnt answer, his eyes were darting over all the different possibilities and trying to remember which ones led into which outcomes.
The young woman smiled, "I need to go get something in a shop, is that okay with you?"
"Uh-huh, I'll be here." Osiris murmured as he looked to the space on the table revealed after Cierra took the tray.
"Oh and look at this." Cierra said as she pressed a finger on the table. One option highlighted in bright orange which caused about seven other options to the right of it to highlight in green. "It allows you to see what is compatible. It will show you how to get to the degree you want."
Osiris smiled and looked up at her, "Thank you, Cierra."
Cierra smiled, "Tell me that when you get your degree. It's more difficult than you realise."
Osiris grinned and waved to her as she walked from the food area in the shopping centre. Looking down to where the list was on the table, he noticed something red on the corner of the screen. "Saved Courses?"
Pressing the button, Osiris leaned back as all the colours illuminated across the entire course list. "Biomechanical Weaponry Manufacture."
Smiling to himself, Osiris started to backtrack from that saved course option to find out what it entailed. "I could do this?" he asked aloud in wonder. As time went on, he picked and matched different things as though it was a game. Eventually he was snapped out of his reverie by the sound of a female cough.
Looking up he saw Cierra smiling at him, her eyes twinkling in amusement. "Did you miss me? Or better yet, did you even notice that I was gone?"
Osiris laughed guiltily as he gestured for her to take a seat across from him. "So did you make any selections?" Cierra asked with a smile, but faltered as she saw her own choices on the table. "Osiris, I'm sorry. It was just an idea I was playing around with in my head. I know how you hate weaponry."
Osiris however just smiled, "It actually looks really interesting. I'm open-minded about all of the options here. But I still have no idea where I would like to end up."
Cierra grinned and pulled his wrist off the table, causing the screen to fade away slowly. "How about this, I'll help you make your choices?"
"Would you really do that for me?" Osiris asked in confusion. "Of course, besides, it would be great having you in my University. Just like old times, I guess." Cierra responded with a reassuring smile. "However, the condition is that you have to do a few things for me."
Osiris finally took his eyes away from the now blank table, his concentration snapping back to attention. "Such as?"
Cierra smiled, "You have to accept this present without making a fuss about it."
Osiris sighed and started to speak, but he was cut of abruptly by Cierra, "If you want my help, you'll be quiet and take the present. And go try them on over in those cubicles."
"You got me clothes?" Osiris asked as he looked into the bag but he was quickly admonished by a quick slap to the wrist by Cierra, "Take them and try them on over there. I want to see what you look like with a little effort put in."
"I could take that as an insult." Osiris said with an easy smile, but after seeing the look on Cierra's face, he decided that it would probably be safer to follow her orders.
Cierra smiled wistfully as she watched him awkwardly shuffle past people on his way to the cubicle. "He'll never change in some ways."


© 2010 Khance


Author's Note

Khance
It's a little short, but im still writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Heyy! its September 3rd and I started reading this story yesterday... I RLY like this story and I alrdy finished wat you've written so far. I see the last time you updated was in January?? PLEASE contiue

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

365 Views
1 Review
Added on January 4, 2010
Last Updated on January 4, 2010


Author

Khance
Khance

Dundalk, Ireland



About
People are reassured when they think you know what you're doing... Being honest, I make all of this up as I go along... When somebody complains, then i might stop :D more..

Writing
Altitude Altitude

A Chapter by Khance