Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer
"

Thanks to the encouragement of my little brother I have continued the adventures of the Death Walkers, we'll see how this goes ^_^

"

Chapter 1

 

Learning Curve

 

Celestaria grimaced as the matriarch launched into yet another long and arduous lecture on the current state of human kind. The matriarch droned like all the other matriarchs did, self-proclaimed experts on whatever subject the unfortunate students were having to suffer through at the time.

A sharp nudge in the ribs caught Celestaria before she rolled her silver eyes. Glaring to her right at the perpetrator she rubbed her stinging rib. The culprit made no outward sign that she had moved at all. Facing forward again Celestaria tried to give the matriarch her due attention, but was suddenly worlds away with her thoughts.

The gongs of the high tower signaled the end of the lesson. As Celestaria rose to leave she was yanked back into her seat by the rib nudger. The matriarch still droned on ignoring the bells as she finished the point she had been reaching for the past two hours. Celestaria cursed under her breath.

“Lesta!” The girl hissed at her, “Be patient till Matriarch Bari is done talking.”

“Pere’ she’s been repeating herself for the past forty minutes.” Celestaria grumbled, “I’m not going to learn how to fight Fallen sitting in a class room.”

The girl known as Pere’ leveled a stern silver-eyed glare at Celestaria, “That doesn’t matter, our order is founded on patience above all else. You’re going to need to learn some before you’re ready to fight a Twixel, let alone a full-fledged Fallen.”

 Dredging up what small amount of patience Celestaria possessed she settled back into her seat. Immensely thankful to having been assigned to Pere’ Yorkaine as a novice, Celestaria still had a hard time dealing with the rigid young woman. Pere’ was about five years older than Celestaria’s seventeen.

Glancing around at the other Acolytes and Novices in the immense class room Celestaria noticed a couple Novices eager to leave like herself. A black robe caught her attention at the front of the class room by the door. The Death Walker perched nonchalantly against the wall as he waited patiently for the lecture to end.

As Matriarch Bari finally finished the man stood up from the wall and approached her as the students left their seats. The man let the hood of his robe down and smiled sweetly at the matriarch. His silver eyes flitted across the students and caught Celestaria’s.

“Let’s go.” Pere’s voice caused Celestaria to look away from the man.

“Wah?” Celestaria replied distracted.

Without another word Pere’ was up and headed down the raised aisle toward the door. Celestaria grabbed her satchel and scrambled after her calling for the longer legged girl to slow down. As the students spilled out into the cold stone corridors Celestaria surveyed the courtyard below through the windows.

The home of the Death Walkers sat imposingly in the mountainous ranges of northern Gamstrell, ever watching the valleys below and the lands beyond. The black towers pierced into the sky like stalwart sentries. Celestaria could still remember her first time seeing the majestic place when she had been brought here at the age of five. Sighing in longing for the parents she had to leave so long ago Celestaria didn’t notice Pere’ stop till she almost ran into her.

“Why’d you stop?” Celestaria moved to stand next to Pere’.

Her friend’s usually pale face reddened and as Celestaria followed her gaze a Cheshire cat grin spread across her face. The object of Pere’s effeminate reaction sauntered toward them down the corridor flocked by the squeals of adolescent girls.

“Ah, Miss Yorkaine,” the young gentleman stopped in front of the two girls, “how are you this lovely day?”

“Lovely?” Celestaria scoffed as thunder rolled and rain hounded the windows, “Right.”

Pere’ nudged Celestaria in the ribs, “I’m fine thank you, Klahven.”

Celestaria rolled her eyes as she started walking leaving Pere’ to talk to the tall dark and handsome Klahven Murres. Side stepping more Klahven fans she glanced back to see Pere’ tuck a strand of silver hair behind her ear still smiling shyly. Sighing Celestaria knew she would catch up eventually.

As more silver haired students passed her on their way to whatever classes they needed to attend, Celestaria leaned against a window as the rain continued to pour. The rain always reminded her of the day she had been brought here. Looking down into the courtyard she spotted what appeared to be new arrivals.

Two people knelt in the rain hugging a small child to them as a black robed Death Walker waited patiently. The silver haired child looked up at his parents faces not comprehending why they cried. The black haired father patted his son on the head then pulled the shoulders of his red headed wife gently. Celestaria watched the Death Walker step to the side of the child and hold his hand as the Parents turned and left.

The child called after them but they refused to turn back for him as his calls turned to cries. The Death Walker’s grip never loosed as the child strained to reach his parents. The child sank to his knees sobbing as the parents disappeared through the gate.

Turning from the depressing scene Celestaria continued down the hall to her next class, one she actually somewhat enjoyed. Glancing back out a window she felt sympathetic for the boy, but in time he’d get used to the life here.

 

Celestaria landed and rolled just as the apparition sliced into the ground where her head had been a second before. Slipping slightly in the mud she dodged back using a slight speed boost.

“Come on, Gamestein,” Grumbled the older battle instructor, “quit playing around.”

Ignoring his jibe she drew symbols in the air in front of her and shot the spell at the apparition. Unfortunately she drew one of the symbols incorrectly and the spell blew up in her face sending her sliding back in the mud.

The instructor threw his hands in the air with a sigh of disgust as chuckles and snorts erupted from the spectators around the edge of the field. The apparition dissipated before it could finish Celestaria off. Groaning she slowly climbed to her feet covered in mud as the instructor and Pere’ walked over.

She waited on edge as the instructor took a long pull on his pipe as the rain around them poured. Pere’s hood was up to keep her dry in the down pour, glancing at her Acolyte Celestaria knew she’d have no back up.

“Gamestein,” The instructor pinched the bridge of his rather large nose, “how many times have I told you?”

“Told me what, Instructor Aerem?” Celstaria stared past his head.

Opening one silver eye and glaring at her Aerem continued, “Told you that you have to have patience when it comes to drawing the symbols, if you rush them what just happened happens!”

The vein in Aerem’s neck and forehead was starting to pulsate the longer he stood there. Celestaria judged by the rate of the pulse she had three sentences. Looking at Aerem’s face she set her jaw and took the plunge.

“I slipped in the mud and it threw off my drawing.” She replied.

“Excuses.” Aerem spat, “We’ve been over this, in our blessed country where it storms eighty percent of the time and snows the other twenty, you have GOT to be sure of your footing before you start drawing.”

“I didn’t have time to be sure.” Celestaria complained, “It was coming right for me.”

“Then don’t draw.” Aerem replied folding his arms over his massive chest.

“How can I-“

“Enough!” Aerem held up a hand, the veins clearly evident.

Celestaria shut her mouth, her three sentences spent. She didn’t dare continue, last time she had she’d woken up on her backside with a bruised cheek. Despite his short temper and mean backhand, Aerem was her favorite Instructor. He was the only one that was truthful, all the other Matriarchs and Instructors sugar-coated everything they taught. She knew that what she learned in this class could save her life, and screwing up would get her killed, just like the simulation just demonstrated.

“Lesta,” Pere’ spoke softly, “What will it take for you to learn patience?”

Glaring at her Acolyte she didn’t answer. Slowly the mud washed from her as they stood in the rain. Instructor Aerem looked from the younger to the elder, waiting. Pere’ knew exactly how to handle Celestaria.

Sighing she answered, “I will try.”

Aerem snorted then walked off the field. Pere’ gently took Celestaria by the arm and guided her off the field. Once they reached the sidelines with the rest of the class another Death Walker novice stepped into the field. Aerima signaled for the simulation to start again. Not particularly caring to watch another novice get their butt handed to them Celestaria let her mind wander back to the little boy in the courtyard.

Death Walkers were born about one out of every fifty children. Mages were born one out of every four. Most believe the Death Walkers were a gift from The Mighty to keep mages in check, though some considered them a curse, especially after a Death Walker has finished hunting a Fallen.

Fallen are mages that have become possessed by demons, either by choice or accident. Death Walkers are charged with hunting down these mages, no choice given in the matter. Death Walkers are born with the ability to counter magic; a natural anti-magic in their blood causes them to all have silver hair and eyes.

Once a Death Walker turns three he is handed over to the order to be trained in the art of mage hunting. Some as soon as they’re born are dumped on the doorstep of the castle. Celestaria had been hidden by her parents till the age of five. She still remembered her mother’s crying face when she had been ripped from her arms. Law was Law, no choice given.

Aerem’s shouting snapped her back to the present as another novice blew himself across the field. Shaking her head she surveyed the crowd, a familiar shape caught her attention. The Death Walker from the previous class was leaning against the stone wall of the castle watching. She wondered if it was just coincidence that he’d shown up in two of her classes or if The Mighty was at work.

Lightning cracked the sky making all the students jump. Aerem called an early dismissal on account of weather and stormed off the field smoke from his pipe flowing behind him. Celestaria watched as the Death Walker stood from the wall and approached Aerem.

“Lesta.” Pere’s voice drew her attention, “Let’s go get you cleaned up.”

Smirking Celestaria nodded, “Yeah, ok.”

Glancing back she saw the Death Walker watching her. Unnerved she turned around quickly and followed Pere’.

 

Back in their room Celestaria soaked in a nice hot bath as the rain continued to beat down on the already soaked earth. As the steam rose something pricked at the back of her mind demanding her attention. She ignored it as she stood from the tub, water cascading off her slim body.

Standing in front of the mirror she studied her reflection. Standing at 5’ 2” and being slight in build she wasn’t very intimidating. Cupping her breast she wished they were as large as Pere’s but knew it was hopeless. Her silver eyes, slightly slanted, judged the rest of her body. An angular face, with high cheek bones and thin lips reminded her of the few memories she had of her mother. Touching her slightly pointed ears she sighed. Being a half-elf on top of a Death Walker sealed her fate of being an outcast of society.

Taking up a towel she began to pat herself dry when Pere’ knocked on the door. Throwing on her long white shirt she called for the older girl to come in.

Pere’ slowly opened the door and leaned against it waiting for Celestaria to finish getting dressed. Once she was dressed in shirt and pants Celestaria brushed past Pere’ out into their bedroom. Plopping onto her bed she rubbed her shoulder length hair vigorously with the damp towel.

Pere’ gently took the towel from her hands and began to pat her hair dry. Picking up a brush she attacked the mass of knots. Celestaria grimaced as a few hairs were tugged out by the roots.

“Why do you put up with me?” Celestaria asked over her shoulder, “You can request another novice to watch over.”

“Why would I want to do that?” Pere’ asked as she tugged on a knot, “Are you tired of me?”

“No!” Celestaria cried, “Never. I just figured you’d have a better shot with Klahven, if you didn’t have me in your shadow.”

Pere’ stopped brushing, “What are you talking about?”

“I’m a half-elf Death Walker, how much more scum of society can I get?” Celestaria sighed, “You being associated with me will only drag you through the mud.”

Turning around she faced Pere’ and gently took the brush from her, “You deserve to be happy and not have to babysit a failure like me.”

Pere’ didn’t answer for a few moments then puffed up her cheeks and put her hands on her hips, “Now you see here Lesta. I could care less what people think of me, you are my novice and I will not have it any other way.”

“You are not a failure,” Pere’ folded her arms, “you’re a novice. In time you’ll be better than any Death Walker. I can feel it.”

Celestaria couldn’t help but grin at her acolyte, “You think so?”

“I know so.” Pere’ nodded sure of her prediction, “And if anybody ever tells you otherwise just send them my way.” She punched her hand, “I’ll set them straight.”

Celestaria laughed at the absurdity of Pere’ setting anyone straight. The straight laced girl wouldn’t hurt a mosquito that bit her. Feeling better for her friend’s confidence Celestaria handed the brush back.

“Besides,” Pere’ continued to brush, “he’s really an idiot if you get down to it.”

Thunder rolled outside the window as the girls sat in contented silence of each other’s company. The nagging prick in the back of Celestaria’s mind returned full force as she realized that it wasn’t thunder that had rolled.



© 2013 Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 14, 2013
Last Updated on July 14, 2013


Author

Dreamer
Dreamer

LA



About
I'm just a simple country girl who likes to write the (what I find cool) stories I daydream up in my head. I also have a deviantart account at http://khiramae.deviantart.com/ don't have a whole lot .. more..

Writing
Prolog Prolog

A Chapter by Dreamer


Death Death

A Book by Dreamer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer