Questions

Questions

A Chapter by Gatiel

3.
 
Questions
 
Halner leads Khrinn through the streets of Jeren’Tor, towards the center of the city. Halner says “Methinks we shall move to the merchants quarter, there are several inns there that value the privacy of their patrons.” Khrinn nods, as he glances around, “It seems your mount has decided it’s not so hungry after all.” Halner chuckles “Nay my young friend, it is just afraid thou will’st bash it’s head again if it tries to take a bite.” Khrinn grins at this and chuckles to himself.
 
“There.” Halner says as he points to a sign hanging above an entryway, “The Silent Nightingale. This is the inn we shall stay at.” Khrinn looks at the sign and sees a singing bird, standing on a branch in what appears to be deep forest. “If a bird sings in a forest, and no-one is there to hear it, does it really make a sound.” says Khrinn, “Exactly. Methinks thou art more intelligent than thine years belie.” Halner leads Khrinn around the side of The Silent Nightingale, to a paddock and stables, Khrinn sees several other mounts of the type Halner is riding. A boy of no more than fifteen summer runs up, “Your mount Sir?” Halner says “Aye boy, be thee careful though, I did’st not feed it well enough before coming here.” as he dismounts. He fishes within his tunic for a moment and pulls forth several copper coins, handing them to the boy. The boy smiles “Thank you Sir!” and takes a firm grip on the mounts reins and leads it into the stables. Khrinn shakes his head “I would think that they would have someone a bit, older, and stronger, to do the stableman’s job with how vicious these creatures can be.” “Worry thee not Boy, yon stable boy is well trained, and wears gloves shod with iron to deal with any excessive play the mounts may try to place upon him.” Khrinn raises an eyebrow at Halner, then looks back at the stables. Halner says “These mounts are rather docile when well fed, but they are also very intelligent, and know when it is better to wait. They do not like pain. As thou hasn’t already proven.” Khrinn nods.
 
Halner leads Khrinn to the rear entrance of The Silent Nightingale, and opens the door. Soft music flows from the opening. Khrinn stops, his mind begins to reel, as he puts a hand to the side of the entryway to steady himself. Halner raises an eyebrow “Art thou well Boy?” “Yes, I think… Yes. It’s, something about the music, it seems familiar.” Halner gazes appraisingly at Khrinn and says, “Come then, let us find a table.” Khrinn nods and follows Halner into the common room. He looks around and sees several delicately carved trestle tables, with a number of patrons sitting around them, drinking and talking merrily. The edges of the common room catch his eye as being different, There are rooms built into the wall with their own doors, some closed, others are open revealing a table surrounded by several chairs. “They do like to preserve the privacy of their patrons.” “Aye, thus why I wanted to come here.” As the pair approach the bar, a heavyset middle aged man, wearing an apron, looks up and grins “Master Halner! A great pleasure to have you back in my establishment!” “A pleasure to return, Master Saldor!” Saldor looks at Khrinn and flinches, then quickly regains his smile, and says “I didn’t know you had taken to traveling with a Man at Arms, Master Halner. Is there trouble on the roads?” “No more than is usual, Saldor. Nay, I met this young man on my way to the city, and he graciously accompanied an old man the rest of the way for companionship.” “Ah! Well then! Any friend of Halner is a friend of mine! What is your name young man?” Just as Khrinn is about to speak, Halner says “His name is odd, for he is not of this province, so we’ve agreed that we shall call him Jerib, Isn’t that right Jerib?” Khrinn looks at Halner questioningly for a brief moment then looks to Saldor and replies, “Ah, yes, Jerib, that’s me. My given name is terribly difficult to pronounce.” Saldor gazes at Khrinn and Halner appraisingly and grins, not having missed the look Khrinn gave to Halner, “Welcome to The Silent Nightingale, Jerib! Now, what can I do for you two? Your usual private table Halner?” “Aye, Saldor, that would be good, and a pitcher of mead, as well as a platter of whatever thou has’t in the cook pot.” “Very well! Right this way gentlemen.” Saldor takes the lead and shows them to a private booth toward the front of the common room. “He we are gentlemen, I’ll send out the Pitcher, and platter momentarily. Make yourselves comfortable!”
 
Halner enters the booth and seats himself, as Khrinn follows, he feels a slight tingling as he moves through the door, he looks up and around, and Halner says “An enchantment, to keep the sounds of our voices in, and the sound of the common room out.” Khrinn steps fully into the booth, and notices that the sound from the common room is gone. He looks around to see the booth is lit with small smokeless lanterns that hang from the walls, and the chairs and table have the same delicate carving as the trestle tables in the main common room. The chairs here are padded, looking comfortable and inviting. Khrinn seats himself across from Halner and says, “Very nice, I’m guessing that it is also very expensive.” “Aye, tis expensive, but I pay only room and board. I set all the enchantments here, and am given permanent use of this private booth, as long as I make sure the enchantments hold when I am here.” “Ah. An exchange of services then.” “Exactly my Boy.”
 
Khrinn looks at Halner, re-appraising him. A soft musical chime sounds in the booth and Halner says, “Ah! That will be Saldor.” He looks to the door, and beckons permission to enter. Khrinn looks and sees Saldor standing outside, with a pitcher and two tankards in one hand, and a medium platter balanced in the other hand. Saldor nods at Halner, and steps through the entry, setting the platter down on the table, then places a tankard in front of each of his patrons, setting the pitcher next to the platter. “There you are gentlemen! Will there be anything else?” “Nay, Saldor, please close the door as thee leave.” “Ok Halner, if you need anything, you know what to do.” With this, Saldor exit’s the booth and closes the door.
 
Khrinn looks at the platter to see that it is filled with several types of sliced cheese, breads, and glazed meats, some softly steaming, others appearing cold, as well as some sugared nuts of a variety the he doesn’t recognize. He lifts his tankard, noticing that it is already full, and sips. An explosion of semi-sweet delicacy graces his tongue, and he smiles appreciatively. He also realizes that he is not sure of the last time he has eaten, and his stomach chooses this moment to let the world at large know it. Halner looks up from selecting a slice of cheese and says, “Apparently thou hast not eaten recently, help thyself.” Khrinn says “Thank you Halner.” As he begins eating the various selection in front of him, he is surprised by the light feel of the foods, and smiles as each piece complements each other piece.
 
Halner looks at Khrinn, appraisingly again, and says “I can see thou art enjoying the fare, hast thee not had food such as this before?” Khrinn looks up in semi-startlement, and says, “I’m not sure, I… I can’t remember…” He frowns to himself, and Halner nods. Khrinn focuses on Halner again and asks, “Why the deception about my name, and why do you insist on calling me Boy, when you know my name?” Halner gazes at Khrinn a moment, as though he is formulating an answer, and says, “Thy name has Great Power. Power that I am neither familiar with, nor understand. All names have power, but thine has a power that frightens me, and I think it best that thee carry another until thou knowest what it means. I chose Jerib as a name for thee because it is somewhat common in this province if not the Kingdom. Now, Jerib, methinks it be time for thou to tell me thine story.”
 
Khrinn sighs and says, “There isn’t much to tell, I woke this morning, to a sun I don’t recognize, in a field of heather, dotted with stands of red-blue trees, that I’m not familiar with, not knowing who I am or where I was. I looked to the west and saw the fog coming from the river, and walked until I came upon the Gener’Gar, then avoided any more stands of those trees. When I came to the river, I saw barges leading timber down the river from the north, so I knew there had to be a town or city downstream, and traveled in that direction. I came to a stream in the wood, and saw my reflection. My name came to me then, as well as the knowledge that, though this is my body, it is by far too young…” Halner gives Khrinn a piercing gaze and asks, “How old dost thy mind tell thee, thou art suppose to be?” Khrinn looks up, and answers “Nearly one hundred sixty five.” Halner whistles in astonishment, his eyebrows climbing his forehead in disbelief, then says, “I be coming up on mine fifty sixth summer, and be considered old, how can thou have lived for over a century?” “I don’t know Halner, I can’t remember anything before waking this morning.”
 
Halner picks up his tankard and take a healthy pull from it, and sets it down again, shakes his head, recovering from his astonishment, then says, “Thou art a conundrum, mine friend. Methinks I was right when I said thou art not of this world.” “I can’t say you are wrong Halner, my mind says the sun is wrong. It just looks wrong.” Halner looks down into his tankard for a moment the looks up and says, “It has been whispered in the magical circles that otherworldly travel is possible, but there has been no proof to the whispers. I would like to scry thee Jerib, but thou must be willing or the spell won’t give me any information beyond where thou art located, which, I already know.” Khrinn sips from his tankard, thinking, he looks into Halner’s eyes, seeing great curiosity, but, also a genuine wish to help, and says, “Ok Halner, I’ll go along with it. What do I need to do?” Halner smiles and says “When thou dost feel the spell touch thee, accept it, thou will’st know it comes from me.” Khrinn nods and says, “Ok, I am ready.”
 
Halner reaches in his tunic and pulls free a small mirror, then gazes into it, a look of concentration on his face. Khrinn relaxes, and feels a strange sensation gather around his head, and sees a shimmer in the air leading back to Halner. He tries to relax further and allows his mind to wander over the days events, accepting the magic forming around him. He watches Halner, and sees that he is deep in concentration.
 
He is thinking about his encounter with the Gener’Gar, when Halner cries out, a blue and purple glow surrounds him, he is thrown from his seat, against the wall of the booth, his mirror jarred loose from his grip is sent skittering under the table. The sound of laughter and merriment comes rushing in from the common room, then a shout, and several angry voices. Khrinn leaps up from his seat, and rushes to Halner’s side. His body laying next to the wall, Khrinn checks to see if his friend is breathing, and finds that he is still alive. “Saldor!” Khrinn shouts. “Saldor!” The door to the booth crashes open and Saldor rushes in. He takes in the situation and asks, “What happened, Jerib!?” “I don’t know, he was working a spell, and something went wrong!” “Yes something went wrong, every privacy enchantment in the establishment broke!” Saldor sighs, “Is he alive?” “Yes, he breathing, and doesn’t appear to have any injuries.” “Good, help me get him up to his room.” Saldor moves around Khrinn, and moves Halner to a prone position, and reaches under his arms, lifting his upper body, “Get his feet Jerib, we’ll be going up to the third floor, down the left hall, to the second door on the right.” Khrinn, picks up Halner’s mirror from the floor and sticks it in his belt, then lifts his friends legs, and leads him up the stairs to Halner’s room.
 
Saldor get Halner placed comfortably on his bed and says, “I’ll bring in a cot, stay with him, and make sure he is ok.” Khrinn nods, and sits down in a chair. Saldor comes back a few moments later, carrying a cot, several blankets, and a pitcher. He sets the pitcher on a side board, and begins setting up the cot. “You have a few extra blankets if you need them, and there is water in the pitcher, I think you may need that when he wakes.” Khrinn nods and says “Thanks Saldor.” “You just make sure to let me know when he wakes, I’ll need to discuss getting new privacy enchantments placed.” “I don’t think you’d have to worry about that Saldor” “I know Jerib, But it’s an excuse to make sure he’s ok.” Khrinn smiles at Saldor and says, “I’ll let you know.” Saldor nods and smiles before he walks out the door, shaking his head, and muttering about enchanters and their silly spells.
 
Khrinn settles himself in his chair and looks over at Halner’s prone form, hoping his friend will be ok, the leans back to wait.


© 2008 Gatiel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved the part with enchanting glass. The visual was intense! I actually jumped back when it happened! lol
I liked how you slowly are explaining more about halnars reptilian horse and exactly what it's about.
This chapter is full power. The first two were a remarkable start... This one brings us out of the turbulance of flight into smooth sailing
Good work!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 18, 2008


Author

Gatiel
Gatiel

ID



About
I'm a 37 Year old man living in Northern Idaho. I have a wide range of interests, and a long memory. I enjoy reading Fantasy and Sci-Fi themed writing the most, though I have been known to read anythi.. more..

Writing
Journal Entry Journal Entry

A Story by Gatiel


Homebrew Homebrew

A Poem by Gatiel