The pain in everybody's life

The pain in everybody's life

A Story by Khyati

My dad had just promised me to buy my favorite dress. I was flabbergasted. “But”, he continued. I smiled to myself, I knew it was coming. “You have to   help me  get some  grocery  for the  house.”  I gaped at him. “Do you mean I’ have to go  to that  crowded  vegetable  market  which has the ability to suffocate   me to death!?” I asked.  He just nodded. “It’s fatal and dangerous for a small girl like me!” I protested with a puppy face. He shrunk his eyes at my over  reaction. “Okay. Maybe you are too small for that dress too!” he said and  got up to leave. I felt like a golden opportunity slipping out of my finger  tips  as  that dress was really worth it.
“Okay! Dad, I’m ready for it!” I said and got up with a spark in my eye as  if I were a soldier on a life taking mission. He shook his head as if I were   hopeless.   “Let’s go and get done with the veggies and then, hit the store for my dress!” I spoke. The contrast in this line could clearly be seen. I sounded bored at the initial words but excitement filled me as my statement  progressed. “Follow me, dad! I will not abdicate this.” I commanded. I think dad  was trying his best to control his laughter or maybe he just was not well  because he had both this hands on his mouth! “Okay.” My dad said after much effort “Wait till I get my car keys.” He completed. I marched  out  to the car, ignoring dad as if it were urgent.  I had to wait a few minutes for my  dad. When he came, we got seated.
I listened to the music that my dad was playing like a DJ at the music   system installed in the car. The only problem was that the songs he played were released before my birth! They gave me a headache! ‘Bear this! Be   patient. You are doing all this for that dress. Remember the dress.’ half of  me  said,  but  the  other  half  spoke,  ‘Be patient!?  Oh,  I’ll surly  turn   into one like this!’ But I tried to keep my calm.
We were there soon. The place was just as I had expected it to be, populated, suffocating, stinky and just unbearable! The vegetable sellers seemed too   poor there. Most of the buyers were also not that rich; only a few had a   good standard. It was so because almost all the vegetables there were very  inexpensive. The place seemed to consist of 90% of people under poverty  but  they were still laughing loudly without paying any heed to the         passer-bys,   if they were not interested in their vegetables.   They seemed happier  than the people  in posh hotels who  had the fake   little smiles for the  display.
Anyway, I descended forward. My dad bought a lot of vegetables and made me carry some. When I told him that my legs were about to break of   walking, he knew that it was enough. “Just the baby corn is left. Come.   We’ll be quick now, okay?” he asked. ‘Okay? ‘I said in my mind ‘Okay?   Okay! Can I refuse that you ask me okay?’ he knew just by my expressions   that how I felt  and then, he  tried to persuade  me by tempting me.  “Okay. A packet of baby corn can get you a pair of shoes along with your dress. ” he  said and with that he had made an offer I could not refuse. We were busy   looking  for the right  packet from the  vendor when  an old lady came there  begging for money.  I felt emphatic towards her but my dad had always  told me  not to  provide  them with any money. “By giving them coins, you  are   making them dependent on begging. They will never be forced to   do a   vocation that can pay them much better” he always used to say.
And, maybe that was the reason for all the other adults  too even  refuse  to notice her except one vendor. He was a young man and the only one to go and   donate  the lady  a coin.  He had  tears  in his  eyes as  he dropped  the coin in   the little bowl  that the aged  woman could  bear on her  wrinkled hand.  The bowl was small as she surly didn’t expect much money.
I could see his eyes glisten because of tears but he didn’t let even one drop off. He shut his eyes tight and in just a few seconds started acting as normal as anyone else present over there. I noticed the pain that he hid in himself.  He didn’t show it to anyone, maybe because he knew no one could   understand it as he did.  Then, I looked at all the smiling faces around me. They were snickering for sure, but all of them definitely had some ache in  their life that they hid from everyone else. Not just them, but all   normal-looking mature people did, from the visitors of shinning  luxurious hotels to  the poor people   who shined   others  shoes.   The scene helped me gain a   different outlook towards life.
Meanwhile, my dad had paid for the baby corn “Let’s go to get your dress  ow.” he said “And shoes!” I reminded him. In no time, we were back to the car and my dad drove off. My realization was fresh, so it gave birth to a curiosity.
 “Dad?” I called out “Yes?” he asked. “Do you have some pain in   your life that you hide from others?” I questioned
“Why do you ask?”
“Just tell me, please.”

The atmosphere gave vibes of seriousness for a moment “Yes, I have one.” My dad said. “What is it?” I whispered, being scared of the pain which could cause ache   to my strong dad.  “It’s…” my dad hesitated for a moment “It’s…   it’s…. YOU!  Why do you  think I don’t make you meet my colleagues? I hide   you.”  He joked,  laughing noisily. I just sat there, frowning. “Your   punishment  is that you will buy me a bracelet too, now!” I said, not joking at all. I questioned no further, letting my dad hide his true pain from me   as I knew he could handle it better.
                              - Khyati Sanger

© 2014 Khyati


Author's Note

Khyati
It's a non-fiction.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautiful story, and well written. I'm glad you got your dress. and yes everyone has some type of pain. Good job. And the part about giving money to the poor woman see this video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBTAdI7zuY&list=LLAfyVGtlFnB9uSkREKl-w4Q It shows how a homeless man spends one hundred dollars

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Khyati

9 Years Ago

Awww! Thanks a lot! XD Will surely check the link :)



Reviews

Beautiful story, and well written. I'm glad you got your dress. and yes everyone has some type of pain. Good job. And the part about giving money to the poor woman see this video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBTAdI7zuY&list=LLAfyVGtlFnB9uSkREKl-w4Q It shows how a homeless man spends one hundred dollars

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Khyati

9 Years Ago

Awww! Thanks a lot! XD Will surely check the link :)
it's true? very entertaining with good narrative. what up with the font?, trying to add a little extra effect to it, huh! well, it worked out. well written!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Khyati

9 Years Ago

lol no! Just copied it from my blog :) Hey it helped! Thanks!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 25, 2014
Last Updated on June 25, 2014

Author

Khyati
Khyati

India



About
An aspiring writer. more..

Writing