Hearing the news

Hearing the news

A Chapter by Kinza Sheikh
"

Nikita's reaction at hearing the news about her mother's death.

"
Nikita stormed through the entrance of the hospital. Scanning the place, she nearly missed the reception counter, situated directly in front of her. Making sense was a hard demand from her in current situation.
She ran to the receptionist, and asked between the thundering breaths, “My mother…? I just received the phone call… Where is she? What happened to her?” She knew she wasn’t making much sense. But she was at utter lost about how to react. Like already said, making sense was a hard demand.
The receptionist, experienced to face these situations, replied in a professional manner. “You must be Miss. Nikita. We have just recently called you to retrieve your mother’s corpse. Please go with her, she will lead you to your mother.” She said, gesturing toward another nurse, who had been standing with her and going through some papers before Nikita barged in.
The nurse didn’t said anything, just nodded and turned inside. Nikita rushed behind her, the hospital flew by them, without her seeing any of it. And soon, they were in front of some kind of autopsy room, maybe. She wasn’t sure.
At least the only one affordable in this kind of neighborhood. She was told to wait here, since the paramedics weren’t finished with her mother yet. She couldn’t sit still, and kept pacing in this small waiting area, trying to figure out what has just happened to her.
In those moments, she felt like a death sentenced criminal awaiting her execution. A tight knot was sucking everything in her stomach, leading her to nausea.
When she was finally allowed to go inside and see mom for the last time, her first reaction was a gasp, and then trying to constrict the sickness she felt. Because of the horror at the sight of her. Mom had always been pale for sure, but the thing laying before her eyes was just faintly resembling her mother. That corpse was so blue, it was terrifying.
“What the… Is she mom?” She gasped, feeling weak. No one said anything in reply, but respectfully left space, so she could come beside the corpse, once her mom.
“But… but, how did this happen?” She said as much to herself.
“We just found her an hour ago. Our evaluation of her tells that the reason of her death is excessive alcoholism.” One of the staff member reported.
“But she was almost always drunk, and she could handle it pretty well. How did that killed her?” She blurted in disbelief.
“We are afraid. That knowledge is gone with her. All we can do is pray for her now.” He motioned her to come out with him and made his way outside. She followed, feeling relieved to come out of that place. That room was horrible, and suffocating.
The corridor was busy in its usual pace. Nurses and other staff members were rushing by, and the loved ones of everyone who had involuntarily checked in here, were doing there very best to make them leave this dreary place. The paramedic started toward right. With Nikita tailing behind him.
“Now I know it is pretty hard on you. But I think we should talk about some practical things. Like death certificate and funeral. Are you her only relative?” He seemed to remember it now.
“Yes, we both only had each other.” Her voice was still far removed. But now she noticed her apron and felt embarrassed. She was doing her shift at the Sushi Palace when she got the call, and didn’t even bothered to clean up her hands which still had remains of the soap and dishes residue she was washing.
“Your father?” He asked courteously, forcing her back at now. To focus.
“H…he died… 16 years ago.” She said.
“Oh! I am sorry, it must be really lonely for you now. Any plans for the funeral?” This guy was harsh.
“Just take her body yourself. I heard hospitals donate the body’s organs. This will make her of some help.” She said bitterly. “She didn’t had any acquaintance who would like to have a funeral of her. I have mourned my father without his physical grave, I can manage the same for her.” She continued, aghast that in at least these 16 years, which she knew they had spent in this town, her mother didn’t had someone to arrange a funeral for. That was sad.
“All right, so I will arrange the death certificate.” He replied. Nodding, he turned inside a room in the corridor. Maybe his office.
He hadn’t indicated her to come in, so she kept standing there, staring at the door, unsure what to do from now on. Her relationship with mom wasn’t particularly loving or anything, they had spent all their life beneath the same roof, without ever knowing each other. Worst, they hadn’t even tried.
From her early childhood, she had gotten used to mom’s unfriendly and self-occupied behavior. Since she was scarcely home anyway, Nikita didn’t felt her coldness much. In fact, when she did used to get home, Nikita would just get bored. She had made a whole life in her loneliness, and made ways to enjoy it. So the issue wasn’t that she was all alone from now on. What was bothering her was the fact that, without mom, how would she manage financially. From early childhood, she had seen way too much hunger and despair. Then after high school, she had gotten a job as a dish washer, had started to get some real food on the table. Although utilities and stuff was her mothers responsibility. Even then, she found hard to keep the kind of kitchen she would like to. And without her help, living was bound to get more hard.


© 2015 Kinza Sheikh


Author's Note

Kinza Sheikh
Please help me in fixing this draft to serve as a better hooked.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aw3some way of using your words and keep writting............... =)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Kinza Sheikh

9 Years Ago

So glad you liked it :)
Thanks
Ov3R_sKiLl3D

9 Years Ago

My pleasure =)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 30, 2015
Last Updated on January 30, 2015


Author

Kinza Sheikh
Kinza Sheikh

Kuala Lumpur , Wilayah, Malaysia



About
An aspiring writer, blogger. I just love fiction. When I am not busy writing fiction or reading it, you can find me in one of the following blogs, Kinzasheikh.wordpress.com Thecreativedreamer.wo.. more..

Writing