Lena

Lena

A Chapter by Kire
"

Lena's Beginning

"

 

My alarm went off early on a Monday morning. I did as I always did, roll over and go back to sleep, but this morning my mother came in and shook me awake just after my alarm had gone off.
 
“Get up you lazy girl! You have to get ready.” She said to me angrily
.
“No school… sleep.” I mumbled turning over again.
 
My mother doesn’t know what sleep means or something because she grabbed my blanket and pulled it, dragging me along with it onto the floor.  
 
“You have a job now! You can’t afford to start this every morning!” she snapped at me.
 
I grumbled a “Yeah yeah.” And got up.
 
 After that everyday was the same thing, get out of bed, get dressed, eat, and go to work. Get to work, go to the office, sit down, and start working on whatever needed to be done. Whenever I was done work I’d go home, and go on my computer. None of my friends were online because they had all gone away on vacation while I was stuck here, at home working at an office job. It wasn’t a bad job, the bosses were friendly, and the other employees were too. No it wasn’t the job that was bad, it was the boredom that followed that was the bad part. I’d get home and there’d be no one to talk to… well, no one my age anyways. My little brother was four years younger and I wasn’t about to start talking to him. He was annoying as heck! Then there were my parents. Mom was always harsh about work and that while dad preferred to stay out of the more then common fights we had. Mom and I were always fighting about something, whether it was if I was lazy or not, or if it concerned my eating and sleeping habits. I tend to snack a lot throughout the day so I never usually eat meals. My mother thinks I’m starving myself. I also like to sleep a lot too. I’m one of those ‘doesn’t get up till 4 pm’ people. I like sleep; it’s like being lazy while doing something your body likes.
 Anyways one day after work I was sitting at my computer looking through some web pages when I came across a really cool add. It was for something called a Sing-oid, or a Singing Android. It sounded cool so I tried to look into it a bit more, but there was no more information on it. Bummer. I looked at my clock, midnight.
 
“Mom’s gonna kill me in the morning.” I grumbled out before going to bed.
 
I got up surprisingly early the next morning, a whole half an hour before my alarm went off. I went and got dressed in my usual black pants and collared shirt then went to the kitchen to get some breakfast. I had cereal, it was really crunchy. I was still eating when my mother came out of her room.
 
“You’re up early today.” She said in shock.
 
“Yeah, and?” I asked plainly.
 
“That’s just unusual.” She said turning and going back into her room.
 
Unusual was right, I guess today is going to be an unusual day then. When I finished my crunchy cereal I got in my mom’s car and drove to work. I got to work and my bosses were already there.
 
“Hey there!” my boss Paula greeted me as I walked through the door.
 
“Hi Paula.” I said with a smile, “You guys are awfully early coming in today.”
 
“Yes well, we need to ask you some questions this morning.” Said Rosaline, my other boss.
 
 “Okay.” I said with a nod and followed them into the end office.
 
Their office was quite a bit bigger than my own, with two desks and multiple filing cabinets. Paula motioned for me to sit in a chair across from one of the desks and I did. They then sat behind the one desk.
 
“How old are you Lena?” Paula asked.
 
“I’m sixteen turning seventeen in the fall.” I answered.
 
“Oh, and when is your birthday?” Rosaline asked.
 
‘I thought this was all in my file, this information they should know.’ I thought to myself.
 
“October twenty-ninth.” I said finally.
 
They started writing on a piece of paper. I wanted to look but I was scared they’d get mad at me so I stayed in my seat.
 
“Lena we want you to come with us.” Paula said standing up.
 
“Oh? Where are we going?” I asked.
 
“Just to the next city. It’s like a business trip.” Rosaline said.
 
I thought about it for a minute, “Alright.” I said.
 
We left the office, it was awkwardly quiet but I didn’t say anything. We got in Paula’s car and drove to the next city. It was only an hour long trip and my bosses were cracking jokes along the way so it was fun. When arrived at a giant building a few minutes after entering the city. I stared at it in awe before Paula pulled me inside the building.
 
“No time to waste Lena.” Paula said.
 
“O-Okay!” I said. 
 
Paula lead the way to the elevator and we all got in. She pressed a button with the number ‘16’ on it and we went all the way up to that level. We got off and there was no one in sight.
 
“Where is everyone?” I asked curiously.
 
“Lunch probably.” Rosaline answered.
 
I quickly gazed at my watch, ‘Lunch?’ I thought to myself, ‘It’s not even ten yet.’
 
They lead the way to a large boardroom like room with a very long table. There was a man sitting at the end accompanied by a lady.
 
“You’re late.” The man growled.
 
“Sorry Mr. Leon, we didn’t leave until nine.” Paula said, “We brought her with us though.”
 
Paula pointed at me.
 
“Well bring her here, let’s see.” The lady said.
 
“Yes Mrs. Leon.” Rosaline said quickly before ushering me over to her.
 
The lady gave Rosaline a look.
 
“Sixteen turning seventeen, October born, Thirty-seven point six pitch.” Rosaline said.
 
I was confused, what did she mean by thirty-seven point six pitch? I smiled at the lady to be polite and her harsh face softened.
 
“She’s a very pretty girl.” She said, “Alright this one.”
 
I blinked and looked at Rosaline, “Huh?”
 
“It’s okay Lena you’ll be here for a while; I called your mom just the other night so she knows you’re here.” Rosaline said.
 
“Oh, okay.” I said.
 
The lady gently grabbed my hands and stood up, “Come with me, I’ll show you where you’ll be working.” She said leading me away form the others.
 
Paula and Rosaline waved at me as I was lead from the room. I had the strangest feeling that they were just going to leave me here. The lady led me into a larger room filled with mechanical equipment.
 
“What am I going to do here?” I asked.
 
“A little tuning, a little bit of alterations…” the lady mumbled to herself.
 
“Ma’am?” I asked.
 
She ignored me. I turned to go back and something hit my head hard. Like falling and hitting it on cement or on a baseball bat, except way worse. Everything went black and I fell. 


© 2008 Kire


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on July 11, 2008


Author

Kire
Kire

Prince Albert, Canada



About
I love making AMVs. I throw them on Youtube alot or Veoh depending. more..

Writing
Turning of Age Turning of Age

A Chapter by Kire