Never Too Far

Never Too Far

A Story by KittenCaine
"

Part 1 of 2~

"

The thick of battle was not where one would expect to find such a little sliver of a man, but there he was none the less; the prince's pampered fiance. Splashed with blood and covered in mud, the speedy little healer was barely recognizable and may even have remained safe and untouched that day. But fate had another plan. 

 

The enemies had brought their magus with them, and the sharp eyed-man spotted his target easily. The bait was even easier to set. As the fighting died down, the magus pulled one of the wounded soldiers away from the rest, making sure it was the kind-hearted Raine who first saw the injured man. Barely had the healer's knees touched the ground by his patient that the magus moved to take him.

 

"Gabriel!" The terrified scream rang out over the battle field and brought the prince running, but too slowly. His cheek bloodied, Raine scrambled away from the magus and into his beloved prince's arms where he collapsed, whimpering as a burning pain spread through his delicate body. 

 

"Gabe..." He whimpered, clinging tightly to the phoenix as he trembled. "What... what has he done to me..."

 

"Nothing we can't fix." Gabriel answered quietly, stopping a motion to lift the smaller man when it made him wince and cry out, instead he held Rain carefully, protective, and spread his fiery wings to shield them.

 

"How is your beloved, little prince, crying yet? Or maybe already dying...That touch of yours will be fatal soon enough." 

 

"...." Gabriel's deep blue eyes seemed sharper than ever as he shot his gaze to the magus, a growl sounding deep in his chest.

 

"Fiesty, Your Highness. You're a fighter, not a politician. Why do you fight us so?"

 

"..." His anger just had no words, but Gabriel's grip tightening on his fiance was answer enough for anyone.

 

"Ha. So we imagined. Shall I desolve that curse then, Highness? The crown for your beloved. A fair trade don't you agree?" The magus laughed again, the barking sound making the healer cringe. 

 

"Gabe," Raine whispered softly, gripping the prince's hand. "don't do anything foolish my love. We can undo his tricks without forfeiting to him." 

 

The prince's lips curled into a viscous grin. "Of course, dearest. Give your soldier a kiss for luck and I'll tear him to pieces for touching you." 

 

Gabriel's larger hand brushed the blood off the other's cheek as they closed the distance between each other, but as Raine's soft lips pressed to his beloved's the burning pain in his body passed into agony and tears filled his emerald eyes. "Fight well, my love." He spoke his habitual pre-fight charm through gritted teeth, slumping onto the dirty ground when the arms around him were pulled away.

 

As Gabriel charged the magus, blade drawn and wings flaming, he was suddenly faced with empty air where his enemy had stood. Pivoting around to look back to his Raine, the prince was greeted with the sight of the magus scooping the barely conscious man up.... and vanishing. 

© 2013 KittenCaine


Author's Note

KittenCaine
Part 2 being their eventual reunion~ Fluff time!

Also, for anyone who noticed: Gabriel here is the same as in "The Islander", years later of course.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on May 24, 2013
Last Updated on May 24, 2013

Author

KittenCaine
KittenCaine

Ottawa, Canada



About
Erm... Okay so... Ironically, I have no words XD Going on about me seems kinda pointless, so I guess just: what you can expect here... I'm Shuichi-level overly hyper half the time and self-irritati.. more..

Writing
Hellfire Hellfire

A Story by KittenCaine


Cold Eyes Cold Eyes

A Story by KittenCaine