Interruption

Interruption

A Chapter by Kiyumi
"

Lynx and his family are interrupted from their normal schedule from people with a message for Lynx from a man he's never met.

"

Lynx ran through the alleyway, doing a quick hairpin turn and slamming himself against the light gray metal wall of the buildings around him. He counted to fifteen before peeking around the corner, hazel eyes scanning the small area leading to the main street for his pursuers. He turned back and relaxed, shoulders slumping as he saw no sign of them. He pulled back the hood on his brown hoodie which covered his jet black hair and navy blue tank-top that reached a bit below the waistline of his faded gray jeans that lead to his black boots that went halfway up his legs.

“You got away.” Lynx jumped, whipping his head to the redhead that entered the alley with him. He relaxed as he recognized the red head as his half-sister Callista. Her hair was put in a small ponytail, and her pale green eyes that matched Lynx's shinned with relief. She had lost her red jacket somewhere during the run, fully revealing her blue tank-top that went with his black shorts and green and white sneaker shoes.

“Just barely.” Lynx said, both of them walking back in the direction they came from.

“Hey you kept your hoodie.” Callista shot back. “That's better than I did.”

They both laughed, bringing out the wallets they had managed to take.

“And you beat me in count.” Callista added, pointing out the four wallets she swiped to Lynx's six.

“I've had more practice.” Lynx dismissed, putting them back into his pockets as they entered the main street. They walked past the holographic build boards and shopfronts filled with electronics, ducking under the pillars of the high running soundless trains and doing their best to stick to the sidelines. A few people dressed in the latest cyber enhanced clothing stared at them with unnatural colored eyes that spoke of their cybernetic enhancements. Lynx glared right back at those people with a 'back off' look. After walking down the main street the two jumped down from the street when it began to run above a low level road, running across the empty road and down to a lower level street. They relaxed when they were among the familiar low class stores, cafes, abundance of brick alleys and buildings, and similarly dressed people.

They stuck by the high running wall of the upper road. When he became level with the ground they stood on, they turned and crossed it again going under the now larger wall connecting the mainly holographic street now far above them. The arch quickly became a large circular hollow shape that followed the length of the upper level. The only light was the fires from the occupants of the large tent city and occasional brick building that was built onto the inside of the underground hollow. They walked across the tent city, greeted the ones they knew softly as they cooked their lunch over their metal barrel fires.

Their eyes took a few seconds the readjust to the natural light once they emerged from the Hollow, as the citizens of the level had come to call it, and walked across the street and into another alley. Callista pulled out one of the wallets she had as they followed the left wall eventually came to a dead end right turn that opened to a large cluster of small buildings that were cheap apartments stacked on top of each other. Ladders leaned up against many of the buildings for tenants to get into their apartments, many of them not getting along with their base neighbors.

The siblings walked down three of the buildings and turned to a door on the third one on the right. The door was red and yellow, the red paint their mother had put on fading and flaking off. The doorknob was rusted with some of the gilded silver still showing, or robbed off. There was no ladder against their outside wall. The third floor was vacant, and the second floor belonged to their uncle.

Lynx and Callista smiled at the smell of lunch being cooked as they stepped inside the apartment.

“I was wondering where you two were.” Their mother, Geneva, greeted over the open kitchen counter. Her brown hair was in a messy bun, some strands falling down to her soft pale green eyes and pale skin Lynx and Callista shared. “I was thinking the Hive Guard got you finally.”

“Almost.” Lynx sighed, taking off his shoes as he almost collapsed on the small couch that faced the kitchen, a wooden coffee table occupying the small space between the two.

“I can tell.” Geneva commented, noticing Callista's lack of jacket. “At least you kept your coat.”

“We're going to try going back at night.” Callista told their mother as they began emptying their newly obtained wallets.

“I want you to stay with just the immediate upper level.” Geneva demanded, bringing out two paper plates filled with scrambled eggs. “I don't want another fiasco like with the visiting Duke.”

“The one time we talk her into letting us go up two levels.” Lynx commented as he began eating. “A Duke just has to visit and we get chased to hell and back when he pick pocketed him.”

“I'm just happy he didn't press charges.” Callista sighed. “Could've been put away for God knows how long.”

“How did we not hear about his visit?” Lynx asked. “That's a pretty big deal.”

“Upper levels like to make sure they have all the guards in place.” Geneva said, emerging once again from the kitchen with her own plate and another, yelling over her shoulder, “Jax, get out here!”

“Miracle you met dad.” Lynx said softly.

“He's a b*****d.” Geneva said firmly. “Up and left as soon as he realized I was pregnant.”

“Oh, I'm not fighting with you on that point.” Lynx agreed. “Just saying.”

“Hey guys!” Jax said, smiling at his sister and half-brother.

“Afternoon Jax.” Lynx said smiling at the brown skinned thirteen year old. His dark red hair was messy, and his dark brown eyes danced with happiness. He wore a red T-shirt and brown pants, while his feet were bare.

“How was school?” Callista asked as Jax sat down and began to eat with them.

“Boring as normal.” Jax said. “When can I join you guys?”

“Hopefully never.” Callista and Geneva said while Lynx said firmly,

“Never.”

“I want you to finish school.” Lynx said. “Get a job that won't leave you running from Hive Guards all day.”

“Why?” Jax pouted.

“Think of it like this.” Lynx started. “You can beat me and Callista at something, and get better and solid pay without running for what could be your life, by simply staying in school. The years will fly by I promise you.”

“You bring in good pay.” Jax said, gesturing to the wallets out on the table.

“Legal pay is safer.” Callista told him. “Don't risk your head every time. We have any juice left?”

“It's a bit past expiration but still good.” Geneva said. “Cups are in the usual spot.”

“Get me one?” Lynx asked as Callista stood up to get a cup.

“If you ask more politely.” Callista shot back.

“Oh generous and marvelous Callista bring me some juice so I may sing your praises for as long as I shall live.” Lynx responded, getting a laugh out of all of them. Callista came back from the kitchen with two cups of juice.

“That is perfect.” She said as she sat down, handing the cup to him.

“I love this family.” Jax said contently.

“So do we.”

The four turned and smiled at Miles, Geneva's brother. His black hair was combed back messily, and his emerald green eyes had a light spark in them. He wore the dark brown suit of his work place, and he still had the briefcase with whatever paperwork he had to do later when he was home for the night.

“Hey uncle Miles.” Callista greeted. “You just missed Lynx calling me marvelous, isn't that right?”

“I exercise my right to silence.” Lynx immediately said, everyone in the room smiling.

“Is Axel home?” Miles asked, sitting down in one of the chairs by the coffee table.

“Not yet.” Geneva told him, walking back to the kitchen and grabbing his plate. “He popped in for a minute and said he was going with Magnum and Gai for awhile.”

“Probably trying to get a few more wallets before the guards come out it full force.” Miles commented.

“Not going to last long.” Callista said with a slight wince. “We got a couple chasing after us.”

“Then they'll be back soon.” Miles said. Almost immediately the door opened and Axel walked into the apartment.

Axel was Miles's only child and son, taking his black hair and his mother's blue eyes. He was a mess. His blue hoodie was halfway off his right shoulder, showing some of his orange T-shirt that past the waistline of his denim blue jeans. His left white tennis shoe was halfway off.

“Who pissed on the Hive Guard?” Alex asked, walking to the kitchen and grabbing a cup of juice to go with his plate of lunch.

“Us.” Callista and Lynx responded simultaneously.

“I got two wallets.” Alex said, walking in and sitting next to Jax. “Gai and Magnum ran to their place.”

The family continued eating and going over the days events for awhile until, Miles got up and went back to work, and Jax went back to the bedroom he shared with Lynx to finish his homework. Geneva left to go work her part-time job at a nearby café. Callista, Alex and Lynx went to the very back of the apartment and went up a small staircase and through the small door hatch connected the two apartments. They did the same to get onto the third floor apartment.

The apartment was condemned, and it was obvious why. Almost all the walls were knocked down, the only one remaining was a single short one of a hallway. The white paint on the walls was flaking off, and the floor was the bare concrete that was missing the wooden floor overlay. What few electrical wiring there was was showing. On the end of the room was a large window that in the same area below acted as the living and dining room. There was a small weathered wicker table in the corner of the area, along with three work chairs for the three of them. There was a small cooler underneath the window. Alex pulled out three glass bottles or root beer soda and a bottle opener. At least half an hour passed with them sitting at the table and talking about their plans for later that night before, they heard the door hatch opened and Jax scrambled up.

“What's wrong?” Alex asked.

“High Guard are walking through the place.” Jax said, running up to the window and looking out it. The three teenagers joined him and watched as three figures dressed in white and light blue walked through the now empty streets from the east.

“They came from the airship port.” Callista observed. “Only way to get in is from the east.”

“Why the hell would a duke and duchess guard show up here though?” Lynx asked, getting no answer.

They and everyone else in the apartment slum watched from behind the windows as the three guards walked down the row of building the four family members were in, and knocked on the door of Lynx, Callista and Jax's home.

“Everyone get down.” Lynx ordered, and the three other quickly rushed out of sight. Lynx opened the window and shouted down, “You missed her.”

The three guards immediately looked up and locked eyes with him.

“Geneva Packer?” The lead one asked. He was a male that looked to be about in his mid forties with blond hair and hazel eyes.

“Yep.” Lynx confirmed.

“Is her son home?” The blond asked.

“Which one?” Lynx asked, casting a suspicious look towards Jax.

“Lynx.” He responded.

“Well, your talking to him.” Lynx told him, resting his head on his hand.

“We need to talk to you.” The blond's voice took on a tone that left no room for argument.

“Depends on what we're talking about.” Lynx said nonchalantly.

“It has to due with your father.” The blond informed him. “It's about your inheritance.”

“He left me an inheritance?” Lynx asked. “I never even met him.”

After a few minutes of silence, Lynx sighed. They weren't going to leave without talking to him.

“I'll let you in, give me a few minutes.” Lynx told them, closing the window and motioning the others to follow him downstairs.


Lynx opened the door and stepped aside to let the three High Guards in as he sat with his siblings and cousin on the couch as the three guards pulled up chairs from around the room, eyeing the three additions wearily.

“You know who I am obviously.” Lynx said. “This is my half-sister Callista, my half-brother Jax, and my cousin Alex.”

“I'm High Guard Osson.” The blond introduced sitting down. “The one on my left is Haven, and the one on my right is Rafeal.”

Haven was a woman of early thirties with long black hair that was braided, tan skin and sharp brown eyes. Rafeal was a male who looked to be around Haven's age as well with buzz cut pale brown hair and dark blue eyes.

“We're here to inform you about your inheritance, which you didn't know about?” Osson ended his statement with the question.

“Never met my dad and we try not to talk about him.” Lynx told him. “As far as I've known my entire life he dated my mom secretly until he found out she was pregnant with him, then he up and left to whatever other planet or star he controlled. No idea how he even knew my name.”

“He and your mother kept correspondence for a number of years.” Osson told him. “Geneva never told you of this?”

“...No.” Lynx said, eyeing them for any signs of lying. “So, what's this about my apparent inheritance?”

“Your father, by all doctor views, is close to passing.” Osson explained. “He wants to gather all his children and have their inheritances given to them by himself.”

“And I'm one of them?” Lynx asked. “Anyway I can get it without going?”

“Yes, you'll get the bare minimum of the inheritance.” Osson told him. “However, if you do attend there is a one hundred percent chance you will obtain a regal title.”

“And by regal title, you mean?” Lynx prompted.

“At most you will become a Count, perhaps even a Margrave.” Osson explained. “At least you will become a Baron. If you go you will also gain the possession of two planets or stars, or one of each.”

The four of them stared at the High Guards. They looked at each other before turning back to the guards.

“I assume you will be the ones taking me there?” Lynx asked.

“Yes.” Osson confirmed. “You may also bring any number of persons of your choosing. If you wish to go we will collect you at--"

The door opened and Geneva walked in, shoulders slumped and smiled at her children and nephew before noticing the guards and straightening up.

“Hello Ms. Packer.” Osson greeted politely. “I was just informing your son of his inheritance.” He turned back to Lynx. “If you choose to attend we will escort you and your companions to and back, or to whichever planet or star of your inheritance you wish to go to. Afterwards your newly acquired staff will lead you wherever you wish afterwards. We will come to collect your answer, and you depending on it, at the end of tomorrow. We are also the only ship in the dock for today and tomorrow if you wish to speak with us.”

The three High Guards stood and bowed politely before walking out the door that Geneva opened for them before she slammed it shut.

“What were they here for?” She demanded.

“My inheritance.” Lynx told her. “From my 'b*****d' father which you apparently kept talking to for a number of years.”

Geneva opened her mouth before closing it, a look of guilt coming over her face. Lynx stood and and walked to the door hatch, yelling over his shoulder,

“I'll be up top. No one bother me.”



© 2018 Kiyumi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on May 22, 2018
Last Updated on May 22, 2018


Author

Kiyumi
Kiyumi

Sequim, WA



About
I'm a woman with a passion for writing and hopes to one day publish a book. I write mostly fiction/fantasy and sometimes sci-fi. I usually write in first person, though I do write in third-person a g.. more..

Writing
The Spark The Spark

A Chapter by Kiyumi