Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Knoxxeh
"

Ethan has started running away, but his first night isnt exactly how he wanted it to be

"
    I slid my glasses off of my face and started to wipe off the smudges while Jack continued to talk. I stared at the blurry New York City skyline for a few minutes before putting the glasses on. I don't remember the whole conversation exactly, that night jack and I talked about many things. Life, family, disappointments, achievements, and even how school was back in his time to the present day. According to Jack everything had changed, people got more knowledge, kids were being taught math skills in elementary school that you used to have to go to college for. Jack liked to think that kids have become a lot more intelligent over the years. In my opinion kids got as equally idiotic as they have intelligent.
   
    When I looked over I saw that Jack wasn't right beside me anymore, he was walking on the gravel that surrounded us on the roof. "The world is full of possibilities Ethan." He raised both of his arms towards the sky and took a deep breath of fresh air. This caused him to go into another coughing fit, full of mucus and disgusting sounds. "You just have to go and find them." He finished when he finally gained the ability to talk again.
   
    "So your saying I should just go." Jack shrugged while walking back to the ledge, He pulled out the cigarettes from his coat pocket and stared at them for a moment. I fingers weren't gripping them they were laying in his palm, He tilted his hand as the pack fell to the sidewalk below.
  
    "I'm saying do what you want, but think about it." Jack put one foot on top of the ledge, I looked at him like he was crazy but he only laughed. Then his other foot went up as he stood on the ledge completely, one wrong move he could have died there that day. "Why would you want to be here, when you could be there." He pointed in the distance with one hand as he gave me his other and pulled me up along side him. I felt so free for a moment like I was flying, then reality kicked in and I looked down. I never really knew I had a terrible fear of heights until that moment. I froze in place and stayed there while Jack talked to me, I only gave him short answers.
   
    "I-it is amazing." I said in a tone of terror, for some reason I couldn't even move backwards and fall back on the roof. I felt like I was standing and a wall that was connected to nothing, and no matter each way I went I would fall.
  
    "What is my boy." He said while laughing at the way I was acting.
   
    "It's amazing that you can be so close to death and still have complete control." I could see my breath in the night sky, I could tell I was breathing heavy because the clouds appeared almost every second. Jack got down slowly and sat back down on the ledge, I followed soon after when my frozen body would allow me.
   
    "I'm not saying you have to go Ethan, but you might regret it if you don't." I rub my hand along the side of my face and along the partial beard that was growing.
   
    "It's a great thought, a wonderful thought even." I rubbed my hands together to try and get the numb feeling to go away. "I don't have a car, and I don't see myself walking that far away." Jack brought his fingers to his head and tapped on his temple while giving me a big smile.
  
    "An old man can think of everything." He put his hands in his pockets which caused a jingle sound come from them. He pulled a set of car keys out of his pocket, it was my first car which was amazing.
   
    "Jack I cant take your car from you." I pushed the his hand that held the keys closer to him.
   
    "I don't need it, My kids got it for me on my birthday last year. I asked them what the hell an old man that lived in New York City was going to do with a car." That caused me to laugh by the way he had said it. "They couldn't take it back, so for almost a year it's been on the side of the street." He pointed to the black 1969 GTO, I was amazed by the fact that he was just giving me it. "I had a car like that when my kids were little, I had to sell it when we moved into this city." I just stared at the car at how nice it was not a dent on it, I had passed the car so many times. I never knew it was Jake's till that day, I wish the car would have been in my life a lot longer than just getting me from point A to point B.
  
    "Thank you Jake." He made a funny noise while getting up and walking to the doors.
  
    "Enough with the thank you's, you have a car to take off in." I smiled at the fact that it was now possible to run away from my parents and never see them again. Jack went down the stairs with me after I got all my stuff together down to the lobby. He watched as I left the building and turned on the car. I waved as he waved back, to be honest that was the last time I saw Jackson Connors.

. . .

    I looked out into the darkness but saw nothing but black, I was on a road with no street lights and hardly any signs. I remember the fear that engulfed me, I was wondering if I should just go back and give up on this idea. I had at the time maybe five hundred dollars in my pocket, it wasn't going to last forever. I knew that if I wanted to actually make this run away successful I would need to find a job somewhere. I wasn't in some kind of rush though, I knew I could worry about that later.
   
    A smile developed on my face as I saw the first street lights in about twenty miles, they were going at their regular rotation unlike any other. When I made it the light was bright red and as I screeched to a stop. The beat of the car radio was in the background of my thoughts as I looked around. There were only trees around, I closed my eyes to think of something peaceful. I was stricken by fear, The lost feeling I had, struke me to the core.
   
    I opened my eyes wide as a car honks behind me, I shake my head and notice that the light is now green. I take a deep breath and drive forward, I pull to the side of the road and watch the car pass me. The driver seemed to be a red head girl around my age, I couldn't see any details to her face. The car soon sped off into the distance until it disappeared. I was left in the darkness once again leaving me with a cold feeling in myself. I remember wishing I had Jack there with me to keep me company, I turned off the radio and sat there in silence.
   
    I fell asleep just to be awoken by the sound of a crash to the back end of the car, two of the car wheels tipped over the side. I try to quickly get to the wheel but am tossed to the ceiling as the car tipped over. The car rolled down the hill a few more times, thrown around like a rag doll. I heard a splash once it all stopped and then a sinking feeling, landing right side up I rolled down the windows quickly and jumped out. The water was freezing as my whole body was submerged under it. After getting out of the water I held my torso tightly, I had broken a couple ribs.
   
    As I climbed back up to the road I kept falling to my knees shivering, I pulled out my phone and tried to turn it on. The water had to of broken it because the screen stayed black, I yelled into the silent night sky as I threw my phone. I heard the crash of it on the pavement ahead of me. Once I finally got up to the road I saw the car that hit me on the other side crashed into a tree. I had no idea how fast he was going at all but the tree was cracked. I walked up slowly to the car, I tried to ask if he was alright but I got no answer. The door was open on the drivers side, I thought for a moment that maybe he had come out. I looked around frightened that a guy drenched in blood could be sneaking up on me. Until I got close,r then I noticed the blood dripping from the seat where the mans body was.
   
    He was pressed against the wheel, later I figured out that he was impaled by it because of the fact he wasn't wearing a seat belt. I stood there disgusted at the blood but then felt a serge of pain from my own injuries. It seemed to be harder to breath, I walked a bit closer and saw the cell phone on the dash board. I though about those scary movies where the dead guy comes back to life for a few moments. I edged my way closer and closer, I swiped the phone quickly and took a couple steps back. I dialed 911 quickly and waited for the response.
   
    "911 what is your emergency?"
   
    "Hello, my name is Ethan Burke." My breathing was heavy, I was freezing with my soaked cloths. "Someone crashed into me, my car rolled down the hill into the lake and the other driver ran into a tree."
   
    "Ok sir, what is the state of the other driver?" I took a deep breath trying to get the words out.
   
    "He's dead." The line was silent for a moment.
  
    "Where are you?" I looked around I couldn't see any signs around, I walked down to the intersection, I caught sight of a sign on one of the streets.
   
    "There is a sign that says Welcome to Hope" The officer sounded confident that she knew where I was. She told me she had officers on their way and then hung up, I looked back at the car and headed there. I finally caught sight of the body of the man fully as he falls out of the car causing me to jump. A sick feeling entered my stomach as I fell to my knees, I remember hearing the sirens getting closer as I fainted. To be honest I never had been a perfect person to view blood. That day though I had never fainted, It wasn't the blood exactly though. When the body fell out, his eyes were still open and I could swear he was looking right at me.



© 2012 Knoxxeh


Author's Note

Knoxxeh
What do you all think

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on May 9, 2012
Last Updated on May 9, 2012


Author

Knoxxeh
Knoxxeh

Farmington, NY



About
Hello my name is Wesley, i am a writer and i will always be a writer its my favorite thing to do because life can be boring at times but i can create a world where i can do anything be anybody that's .. more..

Writing